Bandai DX YF-30 Chronos

UN Spacy

Maybe I'm just seeing things, but I think I see hard points on the arms. BTW, I think the gunpod looks identical to the one on the YF-29. can you swap that gunpod with the VF-25's gunpod and vice versa?

There are two parts of the underside of the wings that fold over the forearms, which is why we see the hard points there.

It folds into the area where the arms and shield used to be for the VF-25s in between the legs in fighter mode. The arms are now under the wings. The lego transformation video has a better view of this.

It has limited use in fighter. Probably pops out but only on low speeds. Someone's who played game could confirm this.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Am I the only one who likes the battroid mode on this better than the fighter?

yes, jk but it looks really fragile and back heavy in battroid and more streamlined in fighter

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Am I the only one who likes the battroid mode on this better than the fighter?

I don't like it better. In theory this could be one of my top Battroid Modes but that depends on how everything actually works in practice. If it weren't for the gaps and giant Gundam wings on the back I'd say this is one of the more sturdy looking, soldier-type Valks.

It folds into the area where the arms and shield used to be for the VF-25s in between the legs in fighter mode. The arms are now under the wings. The lego transformation video has a better view of this.

It has limited use in fighter. Probably pops out but only on low speeds. Someone's who played game could confirm this.

When you're in fighter or Gerwalk mode it pops up if you switch to rapid launch missiles. Otherwise it stays down. The YF-29 does the same thing with its back cannons.

Give me optional weapons modules and I'm even better than good. Don't change a thing, Kawamori! ...except maybe the color to low viz :)

Edited by xrentonx

Guest davidwhangchoi

having owned MG Strike Freedom and ~Justice... i'm skeptical this will be able to stand on it's own looking at the CAD.

Perhaps this will be the valk that competes with the 171 cf as the "keep it in fighter" toy :unsure:

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Where does the gunpod store in fighter mode on this thing, btw?
I'm looking at the underside and the area you would normally expect it to attach is entirely made up of the missile box, so it seems like the gunpod would be either attached much more forward or somewhere on the side.

having owned MG Strike Freedom and ~Justice... i'm skeptical this will be able to stand on it's own looking at the CAD.

Perhaps this will be the valk that competes with the 171 cf as the "keep it in fighter" toy :unsure:

If there was ever a valk that looked back heavy and seemed like it would have a hard time standing, it would have either been the VF-25 with full armour or the VF-4. Neither of those have any issues standing up. The wings and missile launcher box on this thing look comparatively light so I think there won't be any balance problems at all.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Guest davidwhangchoi

i'm still skeptical. i own both 2x 4gs and the 25 S and F armors parts (2x 25F) and it is somewhat balanced with the weight distributed to the legs but still tipsy (w/ the armor on the legs.)

i don't see it because the length of the wings. and the missile rack extending behind and high above his head is wider in length than the shoulders of the body. similar to infinite justice (which needs a stand). maybe not as much mass as infinite justice's pack, but enough to make me have doubts it can stand. but you could be correct that it is light enough i'm open to see how bandai goes about it when the resin prototype mold is revealed.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I'm going to be patient and wait for version 2.0 to come out. It seems like Bandai has a consistent history of rushing their first batch (ie. Frontier series) then realizing all the improvements they should have made by releasing 2.0. Anybody else feel this way?

Huh I thought the 171CF's battroid is the best so far out of all frontier valks.

i'm still skeptical. i own both 2x 4gs and the 25 S and F armors parts (2x 25F) and it is somewhat balanced with the weight distributed to the legs but still tipsy (w/ the armor on the legs.)

i don't see it because the length of the wings. and the missile rack extending behind and high above his head is wider in length than the shoulders of the body. similar to infinite justice (which needs a stand). maybe not as much mass as infinite justice's pack, but enough to make me have doubts it can stand. but you could be correct that it is light enough i'm open to see how bandai goes about it when the resin prototype mold is revealed.

I don't think the DX will have any problems standing upright. These toys usually have metal in the feet or legs to keep the weight distributed more to the base of the feet.

The reason MG model kits can be so back heavy is because it's basically all made of the same plastic. So the more plastic there is towards the back, the more the center of gravity shifts to that area.

Comparatively, the Metal Build Freedom Gundam has no issues standing upright while the Robot Damashii version requires a stand to keep it from falling over backwards.

But similar to the others, I do wish the wings could've folded up more.

I like everything about it in every mode. Only things I don't like are that my VF-25F will look really lacking next to it if I get this in hand before a set of Renewal tornado armor, and the "alto" scheme for the YF-29 looks TOO different from this and the VF-25F IMO.

I'd like a YF-29 30th anniversary with all the yellow replaced by red, and a red/white/black Hikaru DYRL VF-27 30th anniversary repaint then I can have ALL the frontier valks in DYRL Hikaru colors.

I'm going to be patient and wait for version 2.0 to come out. It seems like Bandai has a consistent history of rushing their first batch (ie. Frontier series) then realizing all the improvements they should have made by releasing 2.0. Anybody else feel this way?

But what if they don't do a re-issue? I can't take that chance.

I agree with you. It often seems that newer designs are the way they are merely to come up with something different. Which i can appreciate, certainly, but the fragile positions that the wings are in do detract from the visual aesthetic a little imo.

I think it's the limitations of the medium Kawamori-san has been recently using to design these things - Lego.

Of all the VFs that I know of that he's designed with Lego, the wings don't fold away, and stick out from the back (the SV-51, the VF-25 series (YF-24, VF-25, VF-27, VF-29), and now this one (even though I haven't seen the Lego model of it, given Kawamori-san's sentiments on using Lego to design Valkyries, it's doubtful that he didn't come up with the design without using Lego)).