So, I was listening to the latest episode of Gundamn@mahq recently and came across some interesting, if depressing news.

Apparently preorder numbers for the new English version of Gundam the Origin have barely passed 4000 units.

In other words, without support, the future of this new, re-translated, deluxe edition is in jeopardy before volume 1 has even been released.

It's one of only a handful of mecha manga that actually does mecha right imo (Macross the First being another one), so if you have even a passing interest in Gundam or mecha, volumes 1 and 2 are only $18 each for preorder over at Amazon. Even though I have the Japanese versions, I know Ill be picking these up if only to support it.

Volume 1 preorder.

Volume 2 preorder.

• 2 months later...

I was actually surprised at the quality of volume 1, I wasn't expecting it to be so official with quality paper and a fantastic hardcover. As far as the translation goes it's pretty good but every now and then there's a passage that doesn't flow too well. I found the back page particularly funny with instructions on how to read manga. Overall I'm happy with my purchase and can't wait for vol 2, I'd definitely recommend this release to everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I've been hearing the first volume sold well so we could actually get the whole series if interest doesn't wane by volume 3.

Well, they only made 5000 copies (and NO REPRINTS), so let's hope it didn't COMPLETELY sell out, for those who want to jump on it later.

Me, I got my copy last week. Like everyone said, it's classy and wonderful. And I just pre-ordered Vol. 2 a couple of days ago.

When I first heard about this new release, I questioned the wisdom of doing "deluxe" editions of a manga that has already failed to sell well outside of the United States, particularly when the intended market would A) either have already purchased the original publications and/or B) been forced to settle for low-quality fan-scanlations.

I dearly hope The Origin sells well. While it's a nice-quality book, I'm not too impressed by it. After the phenomenal Nausicaa boxset released a few months ago... well, let's just say it's hard for anything to equal that. I've done my part to support it (bought 2 copies of the first volume; pre-ordered two copies of the second volume); I can only hope my fellow Gundam fans follow suit.

The Origin is really a fantastic re-telling of the story. It's written by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, who is sort of the "unsung Author" of the original TV series--I think you can largely credit him with the core of the MSG story, and the more grounded elements of the setting, whereas Tomino was responsible for the more fantastical elements. I guess you could call him an un-credited co-writer. The end result is that The Origin ends up being the best, most perfect version of the story... Gundam as hard sci-fi. I really can't recommend it enough--so, you guys, buy some copies, too!

• 2 months later...