Macross Plus in BD!!! OVA w/ English Dub & Movie w/En

treatment

Maybe it's just me but I've never seen the point/purpose of unboxing vids. I don't get why they are apparently so popular.

because it's fun to share the Christmas morning like joy of breaking open a new purchase, turning a lonely solo exercise into a group experience if the viewer is also getting the same item, or allowing for a vicarious experience if the viewer is passing on said purchase. It's all about sharing a positive experience within a community rather than backhandedly poo-pooing on other peoples interests.

because it's fun to share the Christmas morning like joy of breaking open a new purchase, turning a lonely solo exercise into a group experience if the viewer is also getting the same item, or allowing for a vicarious experience if the viewer is passing on said purchase. It's all about sharing a positive experience within a community rather than backhandedly poo-pooing on other peoples interests.

this right here

Oh I'm not poo-pooing anyone in particular, which is why I'm speaking of it as a trend. All I'm saying is that, like reality tv or someing, its just something I dont understand the appeal of. A video of a display you've made? A model you've customized? Trying to play a song? Cosplay? THESE I understand the point of putting videos up of. A video of opening a retail product that anyone can buy online or at a shop, which doesnt include actual specs or review on the content or visual quality (ie, which is what people would be after if they were looking to make a purchasing decision)? I dont get it. Seems meaningless to me because anyone else can buy the exact same thing.

But like I said, I'm not poo-poohing anyone. To each their own.

I have seen Macross plus dozens of times since the mid 90s( Manga videos) and have memorized the sound effects and most of the dialogs in every scene. Having said this, the dubbing in episode 4 of the BD is horrendous. It's missing the emotion and the performance of the origonal and most importantly, it's missing the sound effects at every key scene. I tried watching with the jap dub but eh... Maybe vol 4 will get fixed with the right dub when it is released in the US market?

I have seen Macross plus dozens of times since the mid 90s( Manga videos) and have memorized the sound effects and most of the dialogs in every scene. Having said this, the dubbing in episode 4 of the BD is horrendous. It's missing the emotion and the performance of the origonal and most importantly, it's missing the sound effects at every key scene. I tried watching with the jap dub but eh... Maybe vol 4 will get fixed with the right dub when it is released in the US market?

That's what pissed me off about the dub, it wasn't half bad, but Ep 4 killed it for me.

Plus will never get released on bluray in the U.S., not while H.G. is around. As for the SFX, the Manga dub of ep 4 has the wrong SFX track to begin with, so there's no sense in memorizing that.

Yeah, there won't be a US release. The best thing we can hope for is someone takes the video from the Blu-Ray Ep 4 and replaces the audio with the track from the Manga Ep 4 and uploads it somewhere. It should be pretty straight forward. I would give it a go, but I don't have a blu-ray player on my laptop. Which means no way to rip it from the BD disk.

this! I've always loved the M+ dub. i knew going into this purchase that OVA 4 had some different voice actors. But i never expected the delivery to be so half-@@sed. All my favorite lines from OVA4 changed or delivered horribly. so from now on with the blu-ray set i'm sticking to Japanese audio with subs. if i want the dub i have my DVD's or nextflix :(

Plus will never get released on bluray in the U.S., not while H.G. is around. As for the SFX, the Manga dub of ep 4 has the wrong SFX track to begin with, so there's no sense in memorizing that.

Are you talking about the original manga SFX dub or the crappy new dub of the ep 4 on the BD?

Edited by Muzaffar

Wasn't that taken down a while back, along with their Macross 2 stuff?

I don't know what that other "2" show you're talking about can possibly be, but Plus is online:

https://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3DkpCuUT_n9Xg

Are you talking about the original manga SFX dub or the crappy new dub of the ep 4 on the BD?

The one on the BD may be crappy, but it certainly is not new; it has been around for at least 13 years.

I don't know what that other "2" show you're talking about can possibly be, but Plus is online:

https://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3DkpCuUT_n9Xg

Ah thanks for that. It wasnt coming up in my search results although even now it still wont actually play - possibly the office firewall settings I suppose, although its the only thing on the Manga Ent. website that wont actually play - weird eh?

Spent some time with Ep. 2 on BD last night and the newly revealed detail just continues to amaze.

I'm really glad I read this forum before watching Episode 4! I've been a fan of Plus for years, and had no idea there was another dub! That would've been a real shock to the system. Thanks to all for pointing this out.
I wonder if BV only re-dubbed the fourth episode, or if there are alternate versions of the first three episodes as well?

I'm really glad I read this forum before watching Episode 4! I've been a fan of Plus for years, and had no idea there was another dub! That would've been a real shock to the system. Thanks to all for pointing this out.

I wonder if BV only re-dubbed the fourth episode, or if there are alternate versions of the first three episodes as well?

They only redubbed the fourth episode. The problem (IIRC) was that the audio masters that Manga got back in '94 didn't have the dialogue track separated out from the music and sound effects track, so they had to create a completely new audio track for the dub. Since a lot of the music from episode 4 was exclusive to that episode, they had to reuse music (and sound effects) from the previous episodes. So while the voices are "right" in the Manga dub, everything else is wrong, and BV created the newer dub in order to correct the music and sound effects.

Edited by Gubaba

Watching the Movie-edition now.

A couple of observations:

• The colors aren't as vivid as the OVA edition, but it's still all good.
  • The english-subtitles seems to be "newer". The grammar is... atrocious in some places. Almost bordering on engrish. Sometimes, it's not even what the characters were actually saying, I think.

add:

Oh, and the "what a bromance." and "Dumb ask." were some of the pure examples of flat what in the new english-subtitles.

Edited by treatment

Watching the Movie-edition now.

A couple of observations:

• The colors aren't as vivid as the OVA edition, but it's still all good.
  • The english-subtitles seems to be "newer". The grammar is... atrocious in some places. Almost bordering on engrish. Sometimes, it's not even what the characters were actually saying, I think. Weird.

That's what I'm getting. I'm on the Movie right now and the dialogue seems off for the subs, you still get the idea considering how we've watched the Mangle version 1 million times over, but I'm feeling the ZRO Limit subs by Neil Nadleman over the BD version subs. I suppose that's the trade-off. Awesome either way with the Master HD 5.1 track, never heard the klaxon in the main hangar after Isamu blows out the doors in the DVD version. :hail:

They only redubbed the fourth episode. The problem (IIRC) was that the audio masters that Manga got back in '94 didn't have the dialogue track separated out from the music and sound effects track, so they had to create a completely new audio track for the dub. Since a lot of the music from episode 4 was exclusive to that episode, they had to reuse music (and sound effects) from the previous episodes. So while the voices are "right" in the Manga dub, everything else is wrong, and BV created the newer dub in order to correct the music and sound effects.

Thanks. Sounds logical. I just can't believe I never heard about it before.

Since I knew about the "Hayter dub" before watching, I was able to approach it with the knowledge that it would be different. I have to agree with some of the assessments of the alternate dub. It's not the worst I've ever heard. In fact, the impression I got while watching was that the actors were trying to mimic the Manga dub as best they could. And of course, Anne Sherman and Steve Blum reprise their roles, and it's kind of fun to hear alternate takes on Myung's dialogue.

As for picture quality, it is off the charts awesome. Like watching it for the first time. There are so many things I've never seen or noticed before, details both small and major, and the soundtrack enhances the visuals. For instance, in episode 1, hearing the sound of horse's hooves, which accompany the visuals of a man walking a pet ostrich-animal-thing across the street - both of which I never noticed before!

No way I can complain about this release. Now I get to watch it a hundred more times, and notice things I haven't seen since the mid-90's!!

That's what I'm getting. I'm on the Movie right now and the dialogue seems off for the subs, you still get the idea considering how we've watched the Mangle version 1 million times over, but I'm feeling the ZRO Limit subs by Neil Nadleman over the BD version subs. I suppose that's the trade-off. Awesome either way with the Master HD 5.1 track, never heard the klaxon in the main hangar after Isamu blows out the doors in the DVD version. :hail:

Well, it probably wasn't in there. They added a lot of extra effects, some of which were unnecessary, in my opinion. Most notably the eerie sound of the Black Box whenever it's about to do something evil. It just makes it feel a little cheesier, for me.

Well, it probably wasn't in there. They added a lot of extra effects, some of which were unnecessary, in my opinion. Most notably the eerie sound of the Black Box whenever it's about to do something evil. It just makes it feel a little cheesier, for me.

LOL, I couldn't focus too much on those effects since I had to take care of my son, but at the end after Sharon exploded you can hear those weird effects before she asks "why." Some of the effects were cool where the Valks were concerned. An extra effect was added when Isamu uses the head laser to shoot at Guld and slightly different engine noise from both. I'm going to try and watch the DVD version some time next week to see what other differences there are. I'm glad nothing was removed unlike DYRL.

some comparo of the Movie's english-subs (JP-BD vs R1-dvd):

MACROSS_PLUS_M_BD-1.png _versus_ mp-m-manga-1.png

MACROSS_PLUS_M_BD-2.png _versus_ mp-m-manga-2.png

MACROSS_PLUS_M_BD-3.png _versus_ mp-m-manga-3.png

MACROSS_PLUS_M_BD-4.png _versus_ mp-m-manga-4.png

MACROSS_PLUS_M_BD-5.png _versus_ mp-m-manga-5.png

MACROSS_PLUS_M_BD-6.png _versus_ mp-m-manga-6.png

MACROSS_PLUS_M_BD-7.png _versus_ mp-m-manga-7.png

As you can probably tell by now, the BD has quite some fancy engrishy thing going on...

Man I didn't even catch some of that, kids and all distracting me.

some comparo of the Movie's english-subs (JP-BD vs R1-dvd):

As you can probably tell by now, the BD has quite some fancy engrishy thing going on...

I'm guessing most people here have the story memorized anyway, so if you're watching it by yourself or with a group of like-minded friends, I don't see the problem...

But yeah... some of those lines are... not good...