Wife and I saw it today, we both give it an 8 out of 10. Predictable but well done with only one major WTH (what the heck) part.

They have intelligent robots, what the heck did they to clone two humans ad-infinitum for? They surely had robots to do the maintenance work - and they certainly had plenty of killer bots...

Saw it. Enjoyed it. Fairly predictable but a good ride nonetheless.

There were a few parts that visually speaking reminded me of Tron Legacy, understandable considering the movies share a director.

I can't wait to own it on Blu-ray.

-b.

My wife and I enjoyed it. I liked the slow build up, rather than just constant action and fire fights. There are some beautiful visuals in this film.

Hat's off to Daniel Simon; that Bubble Ship is gorgeous. Hope we'll see toys or models of it in the near future.

Saw it Friday, agree with most of what's been said already. The scenery and set pieces are gorgeous, and the effects are awesome without being over the top. The story mixes familiar ingredients in a good way and it's worth the time to watch. I did wonder about a few plot holes, but they don't diminish the experience.

Also, for any MMA fans out there,

Tom Cruise can't lock in a triangle choke to save his life.

Just watched it last night, good movie. Didn't know Tom was a lefty when shooting rifles. Looks like he still remembered some of his firearms training from Collateral.

Saw this the otehr night, completely ignored the critics saying it wasnt worth it etc.

Yes some parts were predictable, some were not, but visually it was very good, I kept thinking where did they film that bit or how much render time dd that take to look that real.

I was trying to work out

how mankind had managed to do so much in a little over 60 years from now. it just kept nagging at me. For good reason though.

Still keeps you guessing almost till the end.

Models of mecha, weapons and ships would be great IMO.

Just got back from seeing this. Very nice. As others have said, a little predictable, but some other good twists. Technically great though, in the aspects I really enjoy in film: music, design & pacing A+++. Adding in a stunning redhead, even better!

Just got back from this. Awesome film. The visuals are really what set this apart. I haven't been this impressed by a sci-fi flick since District 9.

Soooo, when doesn the Hot Toys Bubble Ship come out?

Anyone else get chills at the scene where the unshielded drone slowly makes its way through the curtains? I LOVE that entire shot

Edited by Raptor One

I really enjoyed everything but the last half-hour or so. It was almost as if they remembered, "oh yeah...we're making an action movie, get me some action set pieces and wrap it up!"

In fact, I thought most of the action was a waste of time come to think of it.

Yes, I do think the last half hour fell down a bit. Never the less, I do look forwards to 'what's next' for Kosinski. I think this movie has done well for the producers so I think Kosinksi has a green light for his next project...

Liked this movie a lot. Very well done.

An it certainly is getting people used to the idea that

clones of yourself

are OK. It's still

'you' as long as you can transfer most of your essence and possibly some memories...

Edited by David Hingtgen
Spoilers people!

Liked this movie a lot. Very well done.

An it certainly is getting people used to the idea that

clones of yourself

are OK. It's still

'you' as long as you can transfer most of your essence and possibly some memories...

That

transfer of memories

bit has very very (*) little science to it.

(*) - I'd say absolute zero but I'm sure there is some teensy sliver of possability behind it...

Edited by David Hingtgen

I kind of wondered why

..the bubble ship had so many ergo and safety features built in like the ejectable bubble and various altitude warnings (other than the radioactive zone warning, that one is clear) when there was basically an infinite supply of clones. If one Jack Harper crashes, just replace it same day, and the chick too if necessary.

I kind of wondered why

..the bubble ship had so many ergo and safety features built in like the ejectable bubble and various altitude warnings (other than the radioactive zone warning, that one is clear) when there was basically an infinite supply of clones. If one Jack Harper crashes, just replace it same day, and the chick too if necessary.

Maybe to assuage fears? People might start questioning things if it "lacked certain features".

Well, I went to see it yesterday with no expectations and mixed reviews from my friends. For me it was a waste of money (and good designs - nice Mospeada vibe in some background, by the way).

Basically a long videoclip - damn music! - of Tom Cruise: half the movie is just close ups of Tom's face...

The movie has more plotholes than I care to remember and dialogues so cheesy I was tempted to ask a refund. I don't even want to touch the subject of predictability, but I dare say it is on par with Solomon Kane (oww...).

I guess I'm just not in line with this director, as I thought also Tron legacy was mediocrity made film (boring beyond limits, except for visuals and music, thanks to Daft Punk).

Next

I don't like this movie at all... I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. In contrast, Moon (2008) is much better movie, in terms of design, music, style, flow, camera angles, and list goes on and on.

I agree. Saw Moon yesterday after reading here how much Oblivion got influenced by it. Moon IS a sci-fi movie, Oblivion just an hollow toy.

I don't like this movie at all... I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. In contrast, Moon (2008) is much better movie, in terms of design, music, style, flow, camera angles, and list goes on and on.

I agree. Saw Moon yesterday after reading here how much Oblivion got influenced by it. Moon IS a sci-fi movie, Oblivion just an hollow toy.

you two have terrible taste and Moon was an astoundingly boring movie. Just saying. :mellow:

I want to play this game too.

I thought BSG really paled in comparison to prince of egypt. I mean, sure, they got some of the same stuff, like:
people in exile looking for promised land
religious leader
miracles
religious leader dies after leading people to promised land

But where was the singing and they totally dropped the whole golden calf subplot.

I see what you did there...

I enjoyed moon & oblivion. They have similarities, but are not the same story, nor had the same goal.

. Moon was a great personal exploration of the ethics of cloning in a realistic science fiction setting. (although, why didn't they just recycle one Sam into the next, rather than have a basement full of them?)

Oblivion was a big scifi (note the contraction) movie, with chases & aliens & pewpewpew.

you two have terrible taste and Moon was an astoundingly boring movie. Just saying. :mellow:

Uh... I don't know, do we?

I like Macross, does it count towards terrible tastes? ^_^

@Eugimon

I'm ve never said Oblivion is a copy&paste of Moon, someone here pointed out they had some similarities and since I heard about Moon but had never seen it before yesterday, I thought it was a good time to do it.

They have similarities, true, but Oblivion is not a remake of Moon with more money. They are just two different beasts. Thus said, and simply put, Moon is a movie, Oblivion is... a rather extended videoclip with occasionally good designs.

PS: I also thought Oblivion had a strong Mass Effect vibe in some things

Edited by nexxstrait

• 2 weeks later...

Just remembered something:

They broke a trope, and portrayed something much more realistically than most movies/anime/etc IMHO-----combat drones. Unlike most movies, where a human can easily dodge the fire of "stupid mass-produced drone-bots" and take down a dozen easily by himself by shooting out their eye/brain with his sci-fi-revolver, in this movie, they show what facing a combat drone alone would probably really be like-----deadly. Rapid-fire guns aimed by an unflinching machine with sights and sensors across multiple spectrums that can probably calculate air pressure and humidity and deflection angles 100 times per second----could probably kill a lot of flesh-bags very quickly.

Just remembered something:

They broke a trope, and portrayed something much more realistically than most movies/anime/etc IMHO-----combat drones. Unlike most movies, where a human can easily dodge the fire of "stupid mass-produced drone-bots" and take down a dozen easily by himself by shooting out their eye/brain with his sci-fi-revolver, in this movie, they show what facing a combat drone alone would probably really be like-----deadly. Rapid-fire guns aimed by an unflinching machine with sights and sensors across multiple spectrums that can probably calculate air pressure and humidity and deflection angles 100 times per second----could probably kill a lot of flesh-bags very quickly.

Exactly..... Welcome to the future of war, well at least as soon as Laptops become autonomous and have USB powered guns.

• 2 months later...

Just saw this today and really enjoyed it. What really stood out to me was the music. Something about it. Not your typical soundtrack for recent sci fi.

My favorite scene in the movie is when Vika walks out to their see-through pool, suspended above the clouds, slips her dress off and then glides into the pool to seduce Jack. The accompanying music score was so perfect in volume and composition for the drama of that singular scene that it definitely raises one's pulse. I love Oblivion..