• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's official

Joystiq -- The Phantom Pain is Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Today at a panel during the Game Developers Conference, developer Hideo Kojima confirmed that both The Phantom Pain and Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes make up Metal Gear Solid 5.

We also learned that The Phantom Pain is an open-world game. Says Kojima, "The tutorial itself is a sequence where Snake wakes up from a coma after nine years."

A gameplay demo showed Snake escaping a facility and avoiding unknown enemies.

David Haytor is not reprising his role as snake -- the new actor is unknown at this time.

That's because it's not Solid Snake. Just sayin'.

Edited by Duke Togo

Note, it's not confirmed that David Hayter is not coming back to voice Big Boss. He's simply not featured in the trailer, and no where in it do we see Big Boss actually speaking. I believe they are saying "no David Hayter" because of the last shot of the trailer, which in actuality doesn't make clear who is talking.

Note, it's not confirmed that David Hayter is not coming back to voice Big Boss. He's simply not featured in the trailer, and no where in it do we see Big Boss actually speaking. I believe they are saying "no David Hayter" because of the last shot of the trailer, which in actuality doesn't make clear who is talking.

Sounds like Master Miller at the end, yeah?

A point was also raised that b/c Big Boss is getting older, they might end up using Richard Doyle from MGS4 for the voice work. Again, this is only an unfounded rumor.

Hayter seems to be implying on Twitter that he wasnt asked to do MGSV. Though, this point is not exactly clear. 3 weeks ago be fan an informal poll on Twitter asking fans what they would think about him not playing Snake in the next Metal Gear, while sharing it with @konami and @hideo_kojima_en.

I don't know what this means. Kojima has been playing so many games with the fans it's hard to know which way is up right now. Is Hayter out for good? Is Hayter out just for Big Boss so he isn't voicing two characters in one game (whether it's this game or a future one)? Is Hayter actually in the game, and they're just dicking with us?

Man, this feels like the original Mass Effect 3 ending fiasco. Someone needs to tell us plainly WTF is going on, lol.

Some of the gaming news sites are picking up on the oddities of the Hayter story now, and wondering if this isn't a ruse.

From Hater's FB page: "Hey...David personally sends a gigantic thank you to everyone who is on his side concerning the possible decision to not include him in the next MGS. You guys are simply amazing." Bolded for effect, obviously.

Edited by Duke Togo

Geoff Keighley from GameTrailers is posting up a 1 hour interview with Kojima later this week. In it Kojima confirms that Hayter is NOT in MGSV, and that there is a reason for it. Keighley won't spill what that reason is.

Edited by Duke Togo

Hayter not in as snake, ouch. CoreyD might be right that Richard Doyle could come back to reprise the older BB role.

I'd be completely ok if Kojima's reasoning is "This is a much older Big Boss, so we have to go with another actor to differentiate him from Solid Snake."

You can hear the "new" Big Boss voice actor in this gameplay video from today. And yes, that certainly sounds like Kiefer Southerland as Ishmael.

Edited by Duke Togo

So, just for conversation: Peace Walker takes place in 1974. Metal Gear takes place in 1995. Outer Heaven was set up in the 1980's. Given that Big Boss is apparently in a coma for 9 years (according to the new trailers), we can assume The Phantom Pain takes place during the 1980's. This would obviously mean it leads up to the founding of Outer Heaven.

Even more confusing: Contrary to what Kojima said during the GDC panel today, Konami has confirmed with Joystiq that Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are indeed separate games from Metal Gear Solid V.

Which I'm fairly certain means they are both a part of MGSV; however, they are sold as separate games.

Even more confusing: Contrary to what Kojima said during the GDC panel today, Konami has confirmed with Joystiq that Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are indeed separate games from Metal Gear Solid V.

Which I'm fairly certain means they are both a part of MGSV; however, they are sold as separate games.

I really hope that isn't the case. After MGS2 however, I've learned to just wait and see since speculation is almost futile at this stage when dealing with Kojima and MGS.

A 9 year coma? So it would take place in 1983 at the very earliest.

Edited by Shadow

My understanding is that Ground Zeroes is a prequel to MGS 5 (Phantom pain).
Am digging the vibe of the first footage, especially how they make crawling - something that once empowered Snake - a sign of weakness (much like in MGS4).

The new engine looks nice but I hope its been built modular, otherwise I think a few other game engines that are due out soon could leave it in the dust pretty darn quickly. Not that Im a graphics whore, but the mid-hardcore game-buying public certainly are.

As for voice acting - I'm not unknown for being a Hayter hater. He took serious lines and made them corny in a way the original never was meant to be. To me, Akio Ohtsuka came first (by a whole month!) and always will be the one and only Solid Snake. I hope that whomever replaces hayter adds more acting and less corniness to the roll. If Konami keeps Ohtsuka then thats all I need to be happy :-)