Anime Cell Phones - Macross Version Wanted!

JetJockey

Not sure if this is the right section. But I wish someone would make a Macross cell phone. In Japan, I've seen a few anime cell phones. There was one for Evangelion. Also for Eden of the East. You would think that Ghost in the Shell would have one by now. Perhaps they might make one for Psycho-Pass. But I really want a Skull Squadron cell phone with multiple User Interfaces. One for classic Macross/DYRL another for Macross Frontier. I thought we might get something for the anniversary. I can't believe we haven't yet. Anyone else want something like this or am I the only one?

You forgot that crazy expensive gundam phone that came with an exclusive model kit as well :)

But yeah, if you want any sort of decent cell (smart)phone, mikeszekely has it spot on. At this point, you're limited to buying a smartphone and putting your favorite wallpaper on it. Or, if you have an iPhone, etc. there are usually anime cases that you can get.

All those phones you mentioned are feature phones, so they won't feature much of the mini-computer capabilities most phones have today. So it will be a trade off....

You forgot that crazy expensive gundam phone that came with an exclusive model kit as well :)

But yeah, if you want any sort of decent cell (smart)phone, mikeszekely has it spot on. At this point, you're limited to buying a smartphone and putting your favorite wallpaper on it. Or, if you have an iPhone, etc. there are usually anime cases that you can get.

All those phones you mentioned are feature phones, so they won't feature much of the mini-computer capabilities most phones have today. So it will be a trade off....

I didn't know about that Gundam phone. It looks cool.

I want to get a well designed anime cell phone. I think once you put any sort of case on a phone it just turns into a screen with a case. I was considering the iPhone with a Graft Concepts case but I passed. I'm not that fond of the OS and using the case still hides the design. I don't use my smart phone that much anyway. Even though I'm good with computers, web stuff on a small screen is slower than on a normal computer. I don't need to check forums or use all that other stuff all the time either. Plus, the new pads are better for all that stuff if you need the Net on the go. Ideally, I would like a small anime style flip phone or smart phone.

If there were a real market for themed anime cell phones, we'd see dozens of them, not just a couple.

Buy a phone, get a case and mod it, then theme the OS up. Use an Android phone and you can theme up your different themes with different launchers as your multiple user interfaces.

If there were a real market for themed anime cell phones, we'd see dozens of them, not just a couple.

Buy a phone, get a case and mod it, then theme the OS up. Use an Android phone and you can theme up your different themes with different launchers as your multiple user interfaces.

You would think Shoji Kawamori would want to design one though. I believe he designed a few other items I can't remember right now. I think they were for Sony? Shirow Masamune designed a mouse a long time ago. I still have it somewhere around here. With all the cool interfaces in anime, designing something with a cell phone seems like an obvious idea. Especially for the futuristic shows. Kenji Kamiyama did a short anime for a cell phone company a while ago. I can't remember it either. But it was a detective thing.

I don't trust Google at all so I'm not using Android. Right now, I use a Nokia N8 but it's not modified with an anime theme.

Edited by JetJockey

It would be a very niche product for sure. In fact, it'd be nothing more than a branded phone if anything, with no real changes to it. Like Eva Gshocks and Traser watches.

I’m hoping the project would be a true collaboration. Not just a product with a few color/label changes. They could go all out with the interface and sounds. Engraved squadron or group symbols on the back of the phone. It could and should be really cool.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't normally look here, but I saw the ttile on the main page. I would LOVE a Macross cover for my Ipod. I've even looked and haven't found one. I'm almost to the poitn of getting a regular case and using t-shirt paint to emboss the Macross kite on it.

For cell phones, I guess we're stuck with themes! - MT

I don't normally look here, but I saw the ttile on the main page. I would LOVE a Macross cover for my Ipod. I've even looked and haven't found one. I'm almost to the poitn of getting a regular case and using t-shirt paint to emboss the Macross kite on it.

How about a small, car navigation case?

Here's a shot of how big it is

Edited by Jefuemon

In the same sort of area. A company could make a Macross themed pilot watch too. I found some Golgo 13 watches a month or so ago. I believe they released three versions that were in the Swiss watch price range.

On the phones, they could release the possible complete Macross Frontier soundtrack box and have a downloadable version to go with the phone.

Heres Ranka's salamander phone case i just got, and before you ask, no i don't use this, I bought it to put in my display case not for use in life. It looks like its made especially for the iphone 4, 4S and 5, due to the button placements. My old 3g fits but its not as snug as the 4's and 5's. it would of been cool if there was a gimmick where when the phone would ring the eyes would light up.

how the hell do you edit size on photobucket? its pissing me off

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

Edited by Murphy

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I saw this today. It's not a cell phone but still close.

http://www.mikufan.com/hatsune-miku-10th-anniversary-walkman-and-wireless-portable-speaker-by-sony-now-available/

I know Hatsune Miku is popular. But why can't they even make a Walkman for Minmay? I would get that in a heartbeat.

• 1 month later...

That cellphone looks good. They wouldn't even need to go that detailed with a Macross version. I'm just looking for Skull Squadron colors and maybe Hikaru or Max numbers and colors. And of course the interface should be customized a bit.

But I guess Gundam is more popular than Macross now. I've never seen a full Gundam show, perhaps it's time I checked one out.