Well one is a massively long TV show, and one is a movie.

You have a young brash kid who is trying to make good and is unsure of himself (Maverick/Hikru) and a seasoned vet who is his best friend. (Roy/Goose). The elder friend dies in a dog fight. They are fighting a faceless enemy (Russia/Zentradi) on a battleship over open water.

Obviously Macross has a lot more development and sci-fi themes, and the pop idol thing, but there are a lot of similarities. It's in the same ballpark.

If you were a kid in the 80's it was badass jet fighters in dog fights and that's all that mattered.

Even as a kid, I knew those weren't migs, but I still liked it, and consider most of the film watchable today.

Check that Safe thing (was it open the first time we see it?) This movie will be ending up in my Blu-Ray collection but that is a while to wait in order to answer that question.

Forgot to post this earlier but I saw this again earlier today and;

The outer door to the safe is open the first time Tom Cruise (Major Cage) goes into the General's office but the safe itself is closed/locked.

The outer door to the safe is open when Cage and Rita go into the General's office to steal/convince the General to hand over the doodad gadget thingy, and just as in the beginning of the film the safe itself is closed/locked.

-b.

Saw the film on the weekend and was quite entertained. An unexpectedly good action film with strong performances across the board. The film is also surprisiningly funny. You'd not think it from the marketing, but the creators have a lot of fun with the time-cycling concept resulting in some truly hilarious moments. Oh yeah, Emily Blunt has an amazing role here as the greatest war hero of the story, which could position her as an incredible badass action hero for other films. Very impressive...hmmmm...yes indeed :)

Having read the book and manga I want to see this, I just haven't had the time. A buddy of mine from work loved it, just said that the very end stunk, like in the last 30 seconds.

• 5 months later...

I saw the movie a bit back, forgot to post. It was good, not as good as the book/manga, and it was horribly miscast, the ending was so different from the book that is shouldn't even be mentioned, and was all based on the star power, they should have useda well known, but not superstars in the lead roles, then it would have been better. The suit designs are still bad though, but forgivably so since the story is suppossed be 5 mins in the future.

I read the manga and its really griping

Its sad since american mecha is so bland and ugly WHY? Its very utilitarian but oh so ugly.

Case in point

American Mecha

edge-of-tomorrow-suits.jpg

A2954-14.jpg

13AEAFEB4515682948F4F1F71A.jpg

Aliens-screenshot-544x309px-544x250.jpg

and Japanese mecha

MED10371.jpg

MED10371.jpg

Revoltech-Tokusatsu-Starship-Troopers-Po

_genesis_climber_mospeada_gun_kikou_sous

priss-power-suit.jpg

87c855b958f507a811d2b723f8d6aee913880776

all-you-need-is-kill-4708739.jpg

4.jpg

Beautiful

Slaginpit posted some pictures from the manga on page 2 of the thread. I haven't seen any official line art of the power armor themselves but they look pretty cool. Almost makes me think of a modern interpretation of what a starship troopers power armor would look like.

I love that modern mospeada design more every time I see it :wub: .

I loved the movie! Yes, its Hollywood, the producers want to see the actual actors in it - its why they get the big bucks, you don't want to hide all that star power encased within a suit that can be any stunt double or worst yet, completely CGI.

It's also supposed to take place in the immediate future, if you look at the DARPA suits, its pretty close as far as research goes. Director wanted a gritty wartime reality, a improved cobbled together technology in a rush to counter the aliens - he was very adamant he didn't want anything sci-fi and unbelievable.

I get to work with the same production designer again on my new movie now (yay!)

For an immediate future look the man-amps were fine. My biggest beef is that with exception of what, one or two guys, none of them were suits with armor. Those were not mobile suits or power armors, but straight up man-amps.

COngrats WMC, any hints as to what movie, has it even been announced yet?

Edited by Knight26

Okay, so I've never read the novel but I did watch the movie and here's my immediate reaction review:

If I were doing the letter system, I'd say it's a solid B+. I really enjoyed that they were able to inject some humor into in a few instances (like when he's run over by a truck trying to sneak away). I expected to be bothered by the idea that people would grow attached to a person they just met but I think the movie does a fairly decent job with that.

I also expected to be bothered by how lame I thought the mechs looked but it's immediately evident that he mechs HAVE to look the way they do. You had to see Tom Cruise's terrible posture the first times in it to understand just how uncomfortable he was. They couldn't do the Tony Stark face shot to capture the necessary body language.

Unfortunately a movie like this opens itself to a lot of "maybe he should try this" moments. It does a good job in the beginning making you feel like he has little wiggle room. When he squares off against the general though to ask for the alpha/omega tracker, it seemed to me that he should just instantly jam it into his leg and then tell the general where the Omega was. What was he going to accomplish by running away with it? Then he could just pitch to the general "Give me one squad for a clandestine mission, it won't be enough to affect your odds tomorrow and if I'm right, we'll make sure the whole world knows you're a hero." The only reason I can think of for not trying it that way is to make sure the rest of the movie plays out the way it did... but ya know, in the scheme of things that's a minor gripe.

Similarly, it seems like his acquisition of a drop vehicle for the final battle ought to have had at least a short scene dedicated to it. Did the Angel of Verdun call in a favor?

My final quibble is probably my biggest... the ending. Oh Hollywood... must you be so Hollywood? There's no rhyme or reason to it except that it's happy. I mean, they didn't even try, they just kind assume you'll go with it. It's implied that the omega blood gives him the ability to control time but hmmm... kind of a tough sale. Also, time is essentially broken at the end of the movie and that's completely glossed over.

EDIT - ooh I forgot, in the build up to the attack on the Omega, the drop ship crashes. Then, everyone goes back to the drop ship, they start it up, and continue along. It felt like wasted time to me. Why not just have the drop ship crash right as it got to where it was going? They could have shaved 10 minutes of fluff off.

Edited by jenius

• 1 year later...

The movie was good on its own, far better than I expected. A sequel, especially if done poorly, could diminish the original film.

How? No matter what a sequel to a movie may bring it does not have any effect on the original (unlike people who may totally mess up their legacy by their future actions). Take Highlander as an example - it is still a great film despite the sequels.