They could have used an original design, ie not the manga design, but did they just have use crappy man amps with guns on articulated arms like that? That just looks stupid, almost worse than Verhovens StarShip Troopers, there I said it.

The armor from the manga looks like a cheap KO of the MJOLNIR armor from halo. The movie producers probably didn't want to use the manga designs because they where afraid Microsoft would sue the crap out of them.

Really? I don't think it looks even close to any version of Chief's armor, if anything I'd say it resembles a Guyver. Microsoft/Bungie couldn't take any kind of legal action against anyone, not a single element of their universe is unique or original, there are a dozen things I'd say All You Needs armor resembles before even thinking about Halo.

The armor from the manga looks like a cheap KO of the MJOLNIR armor from halo. The movie producers probably didn't want to use the manga designs because they where afraid Microsoft would sue the crap out of them.

If you look up the dates of publication you may see the the reverse is possibly more likely.

Anyway, I do think that the armour design looks ugly and stupid in this movie, but I'm still excited to see it. Liman is a great filmmaker, and the premise is quite intriguing.

Edited by PetarB

• 2 weeks later...

If you look up the dates of publication you may see the the reverse is possibly more likely.

the original novel predates the halo series, but the armor design that people keep posting images of is from the Manga adaptation which started it's run in January of this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait for this to come out the moment I saw the trailer earlier this year. Glad to see it getting lots of positive reviews now as well when some people were saying that it will be a flop before anyone watched it. Hope it does well when it opens.

There is always someone out there who'll tell you a film is going to be crap even before anyone has seen it and often before any trailers have been shown.

How I love it when they are wrong.

I really hate how they show the whole damn movie in the previews trailers.

My favorite part of the movies is not knowing which way the plot will go, or what's around the corner, especially when you can guess what most moives plan to show you by process of elimination and trope.

Trailers make it really hard to be entertained IMO.

Edited by Gakken85

I really hate how they show the whole damn movie in the previews trailers.

My favorite part of the movies is not knowing which way the plot will go, or what's around the corner, especially when you can guess what most moives plan to show you by process of elimination and trope.

Trailers make it really hard to be entertained IMO.

Sometimes, but you don't really know until you've seen the movie. It might be the case here, it might not.

And if you're using what you've read from the source material - the film makers could still surprise (or enrage) you by changing up the story.

-b.

I have another perspective to contribute on the power armors being so boring and utilitarian (like most of the Hollywood SciFi stuff seen lately). I've come across this lots of times and have received the same answers from everyone from Producers, Directors to Production Designers. The general consensus (not mine!) is that in SciFi - all the hardware should be relate-able, something familiar that the audience can understand easily and relate to (or more precisely, THEY can relate too as most Producers, Directors and Production designers are not Sci-fi fans) - since its a fantastical premise, the last thing the directors or producers want is a skeptical audience when it comes to the hardware designs. I hear over and over again that my designs are too sci-fi, too futuristic - they want it to be grounded in things they have seen before, like DARPA robotics YouTube videos. If they've seen it in the real world, then it gives them a sense of security that this could actually exist.

I just don't get how they get chosen to be the boss of all these productions when most of them have never seen or read Japanese anime or manga.

I just don't get how they get chosen to be the boss of all these productions when most of them have never seen or read Japanese anime or manga.

Because anime and manga is an ultra niche subject matter and sci-fi anime/manga is a ultra niche within a niche. and We're all creepy nerds for liking it.

I like the power armors in this artwork way more then the final versions in the film, the film doesn't even technically have power armor in my eyes, more like an advanced exo-skeleton with a bunch of crap hanging off of it.

^Me!

I enjoyed it. It's not going to rock anyone's world story wise, but it was solid fun, with quite a bit of action. As said above, it's probably Tom Cruise's best since Minority Report. Literally a cross between Starship Troopers and Groundhog day. There's a big cliche in this movie, but I don't want to spoiler it. I'd recommend seeing it, and I'm very picky.

Since there was a lot of talk about the suits earlier in the thread...

They didn't do a lot with the suits. They were worn for half the movie, but only a few scenes showed them actually amplifying the wearers abilities. In some scenes it looked like it just slowed them down. So, don't have too high of an expectation of seeing some awesome mech action. They do have some cool guns on their backs though. Also, there were a few well done comedic lines spread thru the movie, it's a mixed bag, but it worked for me as simple sci-fi action fun. Bill Paxton cracked me up a bit.

Edited by Pat S

Saw this earlier today, I really enjoyed it. I thought it was smart, funny (yes, the movie has a few bits of humor sprinkled in) and well acted.

For those apt to get bent about such things, expect a plot hole or two and some leaps in logic but taken as a whole I thought the movie was more smart than not.

-b.

Enjoyed the movie but I felt that they could have done without the last 5-10 minutes and it would still be a good/better movie/ending.

It certainly would have had more sequel potential at any rate, stopping it with him just starting to go back in time again.

My one line review. Decent movie, characters had character, plot moved along fairly well, not too much or too little pew pew. It just lacked the spark of excellence. I don't remember any gotchas or plot holes so that is always a big bonus.

We saw it at the local Imax, Nothing really stands out as needing the 3D or Imax effects though.

I thought it was better than I expected, Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt have sci-fi action nailed down. Hard to believe Tom Cruise is 50! The supporting cast, especially Bill Paxton, was enjoyable too.

Agree, Bill Paxton was really good in this. I'm happy to see him recently in really good supporting roles. Reminds me of how awesome (read that how you'd like) in Aliens.

-b.

Great film. I haven't seen a Sci-fi film this fresh and fun since the first Matrix film back in the 90's.

Really well executed.

I knew I knew that general somewhere... It was Mad-Eye Moody eh?

Also, Paxton did a fantastic job.

It was nice to see cruise in a roll where he isn't the hero right out of the gate too.

Edited by Gakken85