1/48 acadegawa F-14D Idolmaster Ace Combat

Benjo

Not finished but almost. The closer I think I am to being finished the more defects and touch ups I find. Eh... It adds to the weathering.

2012-11-01214444.jpg

EDIT:

Ahh, this was supposed to go in the whats on the workbench thred. Mind blank. Sorry

Edited by Benjo

Spray another layer of clear matt coating might bring it up there.. :)

Anyone can spray a Jet completely flat but I love the challenge of replicating that textured finish thats not just different color but different kinds of sheen just like how they really look... Painting jets totally flat just looks 2D and I just dont get it.

f-14a005.jpg

More pics of the purple cat soon guys, thanks for the wrap!!!!

Anyone can spray a Jet completely flat but I love the challenge of replicating that textured finish thats not just different color but different kinds of sheen just like how they really look... Painting jets totally flat just looks 2D and I just dont get it.

Wow!!!

Care to share the technique used for achieving those textured panels?? Did you spray a gloss coat along the panel lines and some to the center of each panel to get that finish?

See... that is beautiful weathering. :)

Glad to see people paying attention to that kind of detail. Real aircraft actually do get shiny over time, since the paint wears smooth and the flat finish disappears. Anything on leading edge of anything will get worn smooth by friction with the air.

Aircraft with completely dull paint do exist, but they don't stay that way long. I know a few pilots, and I got to walk around a fresh-from-the-factory superhornet once. It was the only time I've ever seen one that was completely flat-coated. In fact, it didn't even look quite real, specifically because of the lack of dirt and grime on it. The crew said they were having fun with it though, doing basic maneuver training flights and such. The plane itself was entirely clean, no mission equipment, external pylons, etc, so it was a real hotrod compared with the rest of the planes in the squadron.

f-14a005.jpg

More pics of the purple cat soon guys, thanks for the wrap!!!!

Holy Crap! That is incredible!! I'd love to see more and here how you did it.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little confused by "Acadegawa"??? I REALLY like your method of uneven gloss, that really does replicate real aircraft finishes. I'm guessing you spray extra flat on the panel lines like with post-shading, right?