Disney Buys Lucasfilm

Old_Nash

Shocked at first but I realized it’s all business , if they do produce E7 and other episodes, it’ll might turn into a mainstream like Pirates of the Caribbean. I bet Disney is targeting Zac Efron to star in it as a Skywalker descendant, he did use a lightsaber before .

Hmm….. may I should sell them a script I wrote 18 years ago.

Starting from 1.50

Agreed. You know I hear a lot of people talk about the "purity" of a product; movies like SW, music, art, etc. Now I'm not an actor, a musician or an artist but when I look at people who do have those talents and have been profitable because of those talents, I find it really hard to believe that they sat down and contemplated how their skills would contribute to man's legacy in art. I think like anyone else with a potentially lucrative proposition they planned on making their idea as marketable and as profitable as possible. If they weren't interested in money and fame then they would've just left their skills and ideas in their dreams. I think Lucas came up with a brilliant idea and rightfully made a looooooot of money off of it, and I really wish people would stop thinking as if he "owed" people something, or needs to "get back" to something; he's in it for the money, and always has been.

I'm sure there are some creative types that just want the creation to be the most important thing. They don't run out to every TV show and say buy my product. And basically say anything to get people to buy it. That's usually when I decide not to buy it too. That sort of thing usually makes something a product and not very creative even if it looks creative.

Hopefully we'll get Jedi women!!!

There were tons of Jedi women in the prequels but George Lucas didn't give them much if any real acting screen time. They stood around or made a few poses with lightsabers. Aayla Secura had a few cameos in Episode II and went out extremely poorly in Episode III. Sideshow Toys is making a so so statue of her. Barriss Offee and Luminara were in the background in Episode II and weren't given much to do either. Very upsetting as these two fight together and we could have seen some cool small scenes with them in that Attack of the Clones battle. Shaak Ti was another missed opportunity. George Lucas didn't know what to do with her giving her very bad and thankfully deleted death scenes in Episode III. I did just pre-order her statue from Sideshow Toys however.

post-15104-0-31628000-1351958186_thumb.jpg

post-15104-0-70434800-1351958201_thumb.jpg

I dunno, I must be superficial then. :p

I'm more in the lines of something like this.

1979966_orig.jpg

Or this...

tumblr_m0lzv8VuXk1r0431p.jpg

This too...

Mara-mara-jade-skywalker-16293455-533-854.jpg?1351965521301

tumblr_lp5vmqmhHu1qibvqu.jpg

And yeah, women bounty hunters, not Hentai specials.

Shae-Vizla-screencaption.jpg

Edited by Omegablue

Maybe cuz Kate Beckinsale is freakin hot? I can't say I blame them. :lol:

Seriously tho, could be the same artist, or artists with similar tastes. And honestly... I've randomly drawn people before who wind up looking like people I later meet in life, or know currently.. Sometimes you don't have to try to draw someone in particular, but because of tastes in features, your drawing winds up looking like someone you know, or know of.

After seeing how well Disney has handled their Marvel license (Avengers et al) their own classics (Tron Legacy / Uprising), and given PIxar free reign (as long as they churn out some Cars every so often), I'm not worried about this at all.

Seriously, Star Wars needs more female characters. I was beginning to think SW meant Sans Women.

After seeing how well Disney has handled their Marvel license (Avengers et al) their own classics (Tron Legacy / Uprising), and given PIxar free reign (as long as they churn out some Cars every so often), I'm not worried about this at all.

It's weird that ever since Lasseter became creative head of Disney, the Disney CG films have gotten better than Pixar. Tangled and Bruno were a lot better than Cars 2 and Brave. That's good for SW though.

I think, in all honesty, the best thing about episodes 7,8 and 9 is that we don't really know what is going to happen or where they are going to go. There were NO surprises at all in the prequel trilogy, mainly because we all knew what had to happen by the end of them....

I think, in all honesty, the best thing about episodes 7,8 and 9 is that we don't really know what is going to happen or where they are going to go. There were NO surprises at all in the prequel trilogy, mainly because we all knew what had to happen by the end of them....

Things we don't need to happen? An onslaught of Force Ghosts. Things that might be cool? The balanced force user concept from Clone Wars.

After seeing how well Disney has handled their Marvel license (Avengers et al) their own classics (Tron Legacy / Uprising). I'm not worried about this at all.

I would be a bit worried going by Tron Legacy as a guide. Too many Star Wars prequel similarities in Tron Legacy for my liking.

Lol, meant Jedi human women, not calamari with boobs. :lol:

:lol: Calling them calamari made me remember a scene from the movie Dagon.

Someone posted a pic of Barriss. Here is another artistic version of her. Sadly, she's probably not popular enough to get a statue. But she did get a two part book series. Plus, I think Sideshow still has Adam Hughes working on a Mara Jade statue. Unless the new movies changed all that. He hasn't really missed yet with his designs for Sideshow. And his last of Lara Croft is a knockout. Bultar Swan is another that someone posted. But she was in a really bad Star Wars comic that tried to set things up after the prequels. It tried to show the Jedi as still incompetent and unable to defeat a newly armored Darth Vader when he was outnumbered and basically down. That was the comic that made me say enough is enough with Star Wars comics.

post-15104-0-35097300-1352041961_thumb.jpg

post-15104-0-60533900-1352041981_thumb.jpg

Maybe cuz Kate Beckinsale is freakin hot? I can't say I blame them. :lol:

Seriously tho, could be the same artist, or artists with similar tastes. And honestly... I've randomly drawn people before who wind up looking like people I later meet in life, or know currently.. Sometimes you don't have to try to draw someone in particular, but because of tastes in features, your drawing winds up looking like someone you know, or know of.

I often wondered who was the model for the Japanese covers with Mara Jade----had a quite consistent look (and the covers were way better than the US versions).

tumblr_m0lzv8VuXk1r0431p.jpg

I assume that's one of them, has the same look/style, I just don't think I've seen that one before.

Actually.. now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure there was a particular model for Mara Jade who appears in a few different places. I want to say she did photos for the collectible card game, but I never played that myself. I only know she was in there because I had a roommate who played the game with his girlfriend, and I happened to be in the room one day when they had a total Jerry Springer moment, and Mara somehow wound up dueling with Padme. :lol:

(trimmed due to size, and since they're not the one David was thinking of)

Now, the thing about Mara though.. I'm pretty sure that she's one of the few EU characters to get semi-officially recognized by LucasFilm/LucasArts, since she was used pretty extensively in the later Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games.

She kind of falls into the same oddball category as Dash Rendar, Thrawn, etc, EU characters that Lucas okayed to appear in official material. In her case, her background definitely isn't contradicted by the movies, and it makes perfect sense for Palpatine to have secret agents like her.

This interview with Zahn about his novels is interesting though.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.theforce.net/jedicouncil/interview/pics/marajade.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.theforce.net/jedicouncil/interview/zahn.asp&usg=__T544jhZYgmPvFHCjxPAK_OQYFmQ=&h=217&w=257&sz=39&hl=en&start=12&zoom=1&tbnid=nCWpHsDS6asdQM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=112&ei=oPqXUNzxO6rvigKb9YHYBA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmara%2Bjade%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

Edited by Chronocidal

Now, the thing about Mara though.. I'm pretty sure that she's one of the few EU characters to get semi-officially recognized by LucasFilm/LucasArts, since she was used pretty extensively in the later Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games.

She kind of falls into the same oddball category as Dash Rendar, Thrawn, etc, EU characters that Lucas okayed to appear in official material. In her case, her background definitely isn't contradicted by the movies, and it makes perfect sense for Palpatine to have secret agents like her.

This interview with Zahn about his novels is interesting though.

http://www.google.co...sch&um=1&itbs=1

That's a good interview and touches on a lot of the stuff that bothers me about the prequels and the special editions. I thought Lucas was giving the ok to all these books and comics because he wanted the story to go in those directions. When he said he could make the special editions the way he wanted I thought we would see Mara in the background somewhere in Return of the Jedi. Maybe he would choose which version of Luke's lightsaber he preferred too since Luke uses the stunt version for the majority of scenes. Also, I think Luke tries to block the Emperor's force lightning in the book but he's not strong enough. Something small like that could have been added.

But according to that interview Lucas kept everyone in the dark until there was a problem and even then things slipped by. I'm glad Zahn mentioned not liking the whole Jedi test in Phantom Menace. That was something I thankfully forgot. What a horrible idea.

I thought Lucas was giving the ok to all these books and comics because he wanted the story to go in those directions.

Nup, no effing way. He couldn't give a stuff about the EU as long as it brings the money in. He was never going to follow its "directions".

I was just watching a few episodes of Clone Wars on TV and thought it would be a great idea to do a couple of CG/animated series between ROTS and ANH, as well as ESB and ROTJ to fill in the gaps. Of course I hope they would be more geared for the old adult fans so the stories would be darker. It’d be cool to see the original characters in action again, and they’d have to do the series in CG because the original actors are obviously too old to do it.

I'd honestly prefer they go fully animated/CG like with the Clone Wars, rather than try to hack together new movies by digitally de-aging the actors, or pulling the kind of shenanigans they did with Tron Legacy. Not that Tron Legacy was bad, it was pretty amazing how they managed to simulate a young Jeff Bridges; but I don't think the technique would hold up well in a natural environment, or for that long of a movie if it involves a main character.

At this point, filming new Star Wars movies with the original main cast would be like asking William Shatner to go back and make a new movie as Kirk. :p

Now... Ok, Mark Hamill might be capable of playing an Obi-Wan style role. I haven't seen him recently, but I could see him playing that part to a new crop of jedi students. If they go with the idea of him re-forming the Jedi Academy, sure, I could maybe believe that. I doubt he'd be doing much in the way of physical activity, but that didn't stop Alec Guinness back in the day.

The rest of the cast.. I'm not so sure. Denis Lawson could come back as a grizzled old Admiral Wedge Antilles I suppose, and it's easy to dig up potential relatives/children for older characters (the EU is full of that already).

This far after the originals, I just wonder what potential plot they could pursue. Given how you could say the entire "bring balance to the force" prophecy thing did actually come true with regards to Anakin (when he killed the Emperor), I'm not sure what they'll want to do. Or, they could reinterpret the entire thing, and say it was actually about Luke, then show that "balance" finally happening. But who knows.

I still like Zahn's entire take on the way the force works though. My rough impression was basically, active/passive, dark and light. Luke and Vader were active light and dark, using it for active defense and offense. Yoda and Palpatine were the passive version.. no action, but using it for stealth, knowledge, and wisdom. Active use is like listening to your stereo too loud, it drowns out the quieter voice of guidance.

So there's talks in the Transformers world that Disney is now also considering going after Hasbro....hmmm better distribution of toys in the future if this is true?? Disney is now the one Ring. One corporation to bind them, one to control them, one to rule them all.

Slashfilm has a great podcast discussing the future of Star Wars that you all might find interesting.

http://www.slashfilm.com/filmcast-ep-205-the-future-of-star-wars-guest-jeff-cannata-from-the-totally-rad-show/

Hopefully we'll get Jedi women!!!

Personally, I think one of the best ways they can make Star Wars relevant again is to cast a female as the lead in the new films. It's time. Popular culture is at the cusp of a new renaissiance for female actors and heroic leads. I'd love to see Star Wars as one of those properties leading the charge. I hope Kennedy is thinking the same thing.

Personally, I think one of the best ways they can make Star Wars relevant again is to cast a female as the lead in the new films. It's time. Popular culture is at the cusp of a new renaissiance for female actors and heroic leads. I'd love to see Star Wars as one of those properties leading the charge. I hope Kennedy is thinking the same thing.

I approve this message! Except anime and movies like Alien are way ahead of that game. Star Wars, for a groundbreaking property has somehow stuffed their liberated and self-sufficient female character type into one female per generation... and they just happen to be related. I mean there's no need to send a message, just round out the cast.