Disney Buys Lucasfilm

Old_Nash

http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/next-star-wars-films-get-treatment-by-hunger-games-sequel-scribe-michael-arndt/

Michael Arndt has written a treatment for not just one but the next three Star Wars films coming from Disney, Deadline has learned. The Oscar-winning Little Miss Sunshine screenwriter, who also penned Toy Story 3 and the upcoming The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, is also in line to work on the script for Star Wars Episode VII next year.

Related: Iger: Three New ‘Star Wars’ Movies Mapped Out; TV Plans Too

Arndt was brought on board by Lucasfilm months ago to put together ideas to take the franchise forward,

I'm hoping the next films have a resurgence of the Sith Order......not this one master, one apprentice crap.........led by Darth Sidious in a shiny new clone body/armor.....and plotting to bring one of the Skywalker progenies to the dark side......because now we know neither Anakin or Luke were the chosen ones........ :rolleyes:

I'm hoping it's going to be based hundreds of years later, and there will something else than the two-man army Sith army.

But most likely we'll get Jar-Jar Binks grand kid as the new rebellios farm boy looking up at the moons.

Edited by Omegablue

Why?

2nded.

Film treatments are nothing like the final product. True, they provide a road map, but the chances are incredibly high that the treatments will be revised and even if greenlit, the script will invariably go through a couple of rewrites, by different writers.

Too early.

LFL Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Ep. VII Screenplay

and

Star Wars Episode VII: Spielberg Won't Direct

I call bullshit on Spielberg. He practically begged Lucas to let him direct one of the prequels. But, whatever; he's out of the conversation.

Speaking of directors, Ain't it Cool News is reporting Spielberg is one of three directors that have been shown the new trilogy "treatment." The other two? J.J. Abrams and Brad Bird.

Edited by Duke Togo

Speaking of directors, Ain't it Cool News is reporting Spielberg is one of three directors that have been shown the new trilogy "treatment." The other two? J.J. Abrams and Brad Bird.

I'm sure Spielberg has seen lots of things from ol' buddy George. But it doesn't mean he's going to get involved in any way.

I call bullshit on Spielberg. He practically begged Lucas to let him direct one of the prequels. But, whatever; he's out of the conversation.

Didn't Spielberg basically direct the Yoda vs Emperor fight? Or come up with the idea of them fighting in the dome area? I read or heard that somewhere.

Whatever the case, someone who really loves Star Wars and is talented needs to direct. Not really fond of J.J. Abrams since he turned Star Trek into Star Wars in many ways. The Red Letter Media review picked up on that. I think Brad Bird is good with his own stuff. Incredibles is a perfect movie. Mission: Impossible 4 wasn't.

I hope Jedi are few and far between.

I don't. They need to not make them chumps like they were in the prequels.

Whatever the case, someone who really loves Star Wars and is talented needs to direct. Not really fond of J.J. Abrams since he turned Star Trek into Star Wars in many ways. The Red Letter Media review picked up on that. I think Brad Bird is good with his own stuff. Incredibles is a perfect movie. Mission: Impossible 4 wasn't.

Of course he did; it's because he loves Star Wars. J.J Abrams has all but removed himself from the conversation, however. Essentially, he feels that he would put too much pressure on himself to get right something he loves so much. There was no pressure with Trek for him because he had no attachment to it.

Of course he did; it's because he loves Star Wars. J.J Abrams has all but removed himself from the conversation, however. Essentially, he feels that he would put too much pressure on himself to get right something he loves so much. There was no pressure with Trek for him because he had no attachment to it.

I guess that's why I think J.J Abrams version of Star Trek sucks. It might look cool and have a lot of visual nods. But it isn't what Star Trek is supposed to be. Prometheus is a better Star Trek movie than Abrams Star Trek but I'll give him another chance with the sequel. Yet, I doubt it will be Wrath of Khan level of greatness. Especially since Abrams Star Trek missed the whole point about the Starfleet test. But it's just an alternate universe anyway so it doesn't matter.

Edited by JetJockey

I guess that's why I think J.J Abrams version of Star Trek sucks. It might look cool and have a lot of visual nods. But it isn't what Star Trek is supposed to be.

Not what Trek is supposed to be? You mean a movie people want to see?

I grew up loving all forms of 'Trek up until "Enterprise" but by then the franchise had gotten very stale. The new 'Trek isn't what I'm used to or fell in love with but it's breathing new life into the franchise and you have to give it credit for that much. Will this new interpretation have the staying power that Shatner, Stewart and the rest of the Tribble pack ruled with? Maybe, probably, but I'm personally enjoying it...

I didn't like that the new Trek lacked any underlying theme/allegory about the human condition or about our current world.

Back to Star Wars though, anybody but J.J.

He can write a fast-paced plot. But I just find his style lacking, especially once you sit back and start poking holes in his plots.

Not what Trek is supposed to be? You mean a movie people want to see?

I don't get what you mean. I do think that the Next Generation movies sucked. Also, that the Enterprise TV show was terrible. But all the Star Trek reboot did was place a popular name and change the smart Star Trek into space fantasy Star Trek. Have you seen the Red Letter Media reviews? The first one is funny and to the point. The second one, although he likes it explains where it is compared to other Star Trek movies. I say Prometheus is more Star Trek because it has a stronger sense of adventure and discovery. The new Star Trek also made the characters dumb. Which is too much to get into here I think

Edited by JetJockey

"Ooooooo an alien snake is hissing at me! Ima gunna pets it!"

But what is worse, two disposable characters acting stupid (even though I’ve read explanations for their actions) or having all your main characters acting out of character. I forget the word the Red Letter Media review used but I think he said they are all extreme or something to that nature. I don’t want to get into Star Trek because I’ve forgotten about it for the most part and don’t want to remember how bad it was except for the few good parts.

I don't get what you mean.

I don't see how you could be confused. Look at the box office take of the Star Trek franchise up until Abrams' version came out. Outside of Star Trek IV, no one went to see any of those movies. By and large, they were mediocre to bad, and only supported by Trek's niche fanbase.

No parallel to Star Trek should be in this thread... Sorry guys, you may as well compare the Star Wars brand to Twilight. The offering to the viewer is just so different.

I don't see how you could be confused. Look at the box office take of the Star Trek franchise up until Abrams' version came out. Outside of Star Trek IV, no one went to see any of those movies. By and large, they were mediocre to bad, and only supported by Trek's niche fanbase.

Ah, ok I get it. But still all the Star Trek movies with the exception of the last Next Generation one were modest successes. Ticket prices were different too back in the day. Star Trek II is still one of the best movies ever. Certainly it’s one of the best revenge movies too. Star Trek 2009 references it a bit and it isn't anywhere near as classic. Besides, movie going is different now. It’s more hyped, event movies. People saying how much was spent making these movies. Saturation of the air waves and Internet. Big names attached to known properties almost always equals success. I think that Red Letter Media review goes through all the reboots and sequels going on now. You get the occasional failure like a Green Lantern, Speed Racer, Sucker Punch, or Conan. Back to Star Wars, I think that’s what George Lucas was worried about when he mentioned quitting big budget films after Episode III. He knew that there is always the possibility of failure even with tons of marketing. It’s rare but still there. Although, I don’t know why a billionaire would be worried about losing a few hundred million on a story they would want to tell. I think he was feeling the negativity around Star Wars.

Edited by JetJockey

I can't blame him for that.. there's such a religiously devoted fanbase to the original stories now, that there's no possible way to meet their expectations.

The novels definitely weren't universally liked, though I'm not sure they were quite as disliked as the prequels. But they also had a much smaller audience.

Basically... no matter what's done now, it won't satisfy some, because the fanbase has become truly impossible to please as a whole.

Back to Star Wars, I think that’s what George Lucas was worried about when he mentioned quitting big budget films after Episode III. He knew that there is always the possibility of failure even with tons of marketing. It’s rare but still there. Although, I don’t know why a billionaire would be worried about losing a few hundred million on a story they would want to tell. I think he was feeling the negativity around Star Wars.

He wasn't worried about anything; the fans drove him out of the business. The vocal masses of the internet essentially broke him as a filmmaker. The negative reaction to what George has done over the past 13 years is unprecidented in entertainment--we'll probably never see the likes of it ever again.

I can't blame him for that.. there's such a religiously devoted fanbase to the original stories now, that there's no possible way to meet their expectations.

You can't blame the fans for this--Lucas earned it. He earned it with the prequels, he earned it with Crystal Skull, and he earned it with the continuining need to degrade his past films by "enhancing" and editing them.

Besides, movie going is different now. It’s more hyped, event movies. People saying how much was spent making these movies. Saturation of the air waves and Internet. Big names attached to known properties almost always equals success.

The numbers are inflated. There aren't more people now than ever going to see films. Here's a list of the top 10 grossing movies of all time, adjusted for inflation:

Gone with the Wind

Star Wars

The Sound of Music

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial

Titanic

The Ten Commandments

Jaws

Doctor Zhivago

The Exorcist

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Titanic is the only movie made in the past 30 years that makes the top 10. All of these films exploded at the box office minus the modern hype machine. The movies that hit so big these days are far down the list when you adjust for inflation.

The numbers are inflated. There aren't more people now than ever going to see films. Here's a list of the top 10 grossing movies of all time, adjusted for inflation:

Gone with the Wind

Star Wars

The Sound of Music

Titanic

The Ten Commandments

Jaws

Doctor Zhivago

The Exorcist

Titanic is the only movie made in the past 30 years that makes the top 10. All of these films exploded at the box office minus the modern hype machine. The movies that hit so big these days are far down the list when you adjust for inflation.

Modern Hollywood couldn't give a stuff about the "adjusted for inflation" list. The fact that anybody goes to a cinema to see films these days is a miracle in itself.

Don't underestimate the Hype machine in effect when most of these movies were made, and don't forget there was no TV whene Gone with the Wind was released - you wanted to see a movie, or enjoy AIR CONDITIONING, it was in a movie theater...

The novels definitely weren't universally liked, though I'm not sure they were quite as disliked as the prequels. But they also had a much smaller audience.

Basically... no matter what's done now, it won't satisfy some, because the fanbase has become truly impossible to please as a whole.

I think the problem was/is George Lucas didn’t like the originals as much as fans. No one knew this until the prequels. I sure didn’t. I was excited for The Phantom Menace too and in many ways Attack of the Clones. I still have promotional magazines like all the Premiere issues. I saw Phantom Menace twice in theaters. I still really like the final Jedi fight. The whole problem was with the story and ignoring/changing stuff in the originals that fans liked. Making the Jedi chumps didn’t help either.

Gone with the Wind

Star Wars

The Sound of Music

Titanic

The Ten Commandments

Jaws

Doctor Zhivago

The Exorcist

I read about that list somewhere before. People were talking about how tons of people used to watch movies back in the day. Still, I'm surprised Avatar and Avengers aren't on that list.

I think the problem was/is George Lucas didn’t like the originals as much as fans. No one knew this until the prequels. I sure didn’t. I was excited for The Phantom Menace too and in many ways Attack of the Clones. I still have promotional magazines like all the Premiere issues. I saw Phantom Menace twice in theaters. I still really like the final Jedi fight. The whole problem was with the story and ignoring/changing stuff in the originals that fans liked. Making the Jedi chumps didn’t help either.

I read about that list somewhere before. People were talking about how tons of people used to watch movies back in the day. Still, I'm surprised Avatar and Avengers aren't on that list.

Not only that but back then there werent as many movies realeased each year, and those classics on the list lasted sometimes a year in the cinemas, now a days movies are pulled after couple of months, so that they can realease the bluray quick enough.