Disney Buys Lucasfilm

Old_Nash

There's a lot of us (most who have posted) here who think this could be bad. How bad do you think it's going to get? Poor directing? Bad acting? Painfully cheesy/forced dialog? Lame/silly characters and situations that don't fit? Stupid story-lines? Inconsistencies?

Well at least it puts to bed the 20 year discussion on when episodes 7,8 and 9 will be coming out, all we need is a script now.

I'm sure that Disney knows what they have got; they didn’t mess up the Startours thing and the bus load of franchised merchandise they already sell. They do have script writers on board and as Lucasarts and Pixar have already worked together, and most films nowadays use Skywalker sound etc. at least we know they can work together.

Maybe Disney will let 20th distribute it just for continuity’s sake, but its not like the Murdoch's need the cash between them, Disney and AOL they own pretty much all of the media.

I hope if they do follow on from Episode 6 they use the existing actors if needed in the story, we dont need Brad Pitt being Han Solo and Matt Damon being Luke Skywalker.

Yikes. That would make Julia Roberts Princess Leia and George Clooney C3-PO. I've always thought of Clooney's acting as wooden not metallic. Lol.

I doubt Disney would give Fox an inch of the license unless its for co financing of the movie. If we learned anything from the past, if you let another company take hold of a piece, they'll sue for the rest when the movie comes out. I don't really care about the logos before the show. If anything, Indy and SW need a clean break from the last movies they made of each property.

I was once one of those crying foul on the Marvel deal, and look what they have done with it. I am excited for this, taking Star Wars out of the hands of the man that has been tainting it. We all know the best films were the ones he didn't direct so now we will have the opportunity to put the series back on the right track. Plus as someone mentioned we will hopefully also get better Indy films. Plus I really want Disney to release the original Theatrical trilogy on Blu-Ray. If they do that they all ready justify their purchasing of LucasFilm. Gives us what we want!!!

Well, if one were to comment on the state of this franchise, there's little room to go anywhere except up.

For those who are interested, there are several articles about the Disney/Lucasfilm purchase on Slashfilm (with both facts and speculation).

http://www.slashfilm.com/your-questions-answered-disney-purchase-lucasfilm-star-wars-episode-7/

http://www.slashfilm.com/disney-buys-lucasfilm-new-star-wars-film-2015/

Well I thought about and I did find one issue with this sale to Disney, it could kill Dark Horse comics. The SW comics are its bread and butter, its biggest sellers, but Disney already has its own comic company with Marvel. I don't see it ending well. Either DH gets bought out by Disney or loses its license and slowly dies.

Well I thought about and I did find one issue with this sale to Disney, it could kill Dark Horse comics. The SW comics are its bread and butter, its biggest sellers, but Disney already has its own comic company with Marvel. I don't see it ending well. Either DH gets bought out by Disney or loses its license and slowly dies.

It will probably be the latter. But that would be up to Disney. So far, Disney isn't going after Sony, Fox, or Paramount regarding those cinematic licenses. Dark Horse is still slated to release a new series in 2013. Beyond 2014 is looking mighty 'iffy at this point. Whatever ongoings DH has left might start ending their run next year.

Back to movies, Ep VII will be an "original story" and not based on Zahn stuff etc.

I am glad. I liked those back when they came out but would not want them for new films at this point.

Well really.. if you think about the scopes of those novels, you're not talking a movie a piece.. more like a trilogy a piece. You could easily break up many of the novels into multiple movies, just because so much stuff happens in them. Trying to cut them down to two and a half hours would probably butcher them.

So yeah, the novels won't translate to movie format well. I'm ok with that.

It will be sad not having the 20th Century Fox fanfare starting them out anymore (or should it be 21st century? :blink:). But you know. I half expect Disney to pull some kind of intro shenanigans like they did with the castle in Tron Legacy. Probably couldn't get the rights to use the actual fanfare, but .. ooh. idea.

Ok, you start with the first 19 seconds of this:

This btw still claims my personal top spot for most beautiful/epic/triumphant music of all time. I also have a plot in mind to completely troll my younger sister on my eventual wedding day by slapping that same 19 seconds on to the beginning of the traditional wedding exit fanfare. IT JUST FREAKING FITS. Heck, I'd be tempted to use the entire piece as a wedding march... curse you, John Williams, for associating such beautiful music with such a holy grail of all things nerdy. :p

Anyway, you crop that fanfare, and end it with a suitable fade. Then you take the CGI Disney castle from recent pixar movies, light it up with lightsaber-ish floodlights, and pan over it like the more recent Fox intro. Throw in a few ships flying over the castle, shooting off fireworks ala ROTJ and you're golden. Classy, functional, and epic. :) I've actually got a small 3d animation I did once for a powerpoint, so I might be able to toss that together very quickly for a visual example.

You know though.. the one crossover I always wanted to see? I wanted Aaron Allston to throw in an encounter with a Star Tours transport during one of his X-Wing novels. :lol:

Edited by Chronocidal

Smashed? You might want to re-read the article.

Right. All it says is that FOX owns distribution on Movies 1-3+5-6 till 2020 and outright owns Episode 4 distribution for life.

Maybe Disney will buy the rights.

Looks like hope for the theatrical cuts of the original films on DVD/Blu-Ray have just been smashed http://www.slashfilm.com/20th-century-fox-still-owns-rights-to-first-six-star-wars-films-making-original-box-set-difficult/

Yeah, it takes a little bit of gloss over the announcement of the deal. Realistically, I would imagine that they would be projecting ticket sales of over a billion each for episodes 7,8 and 9 so there's three billion, factor in merchandising, DVD & Blu-Ray rentals and sales, TV rights as well as possible TV series (live action & animation) and I think it can be seen that Disney is going to make it's money back pretty easily on this deal and then some.

I don't know how far along the plans are for Episode 7, but to me the 2015 release date seems a bit optimistic if they don't want to do too much of a rush job.

No problem, if you would have said "Best" instead of "biggest", then there would have been a problem...

Yeah, I was careful with my wording. If I had to say "best" I would say Doctor Who.

Ah sh!t.. My brother DT is always with me. How could I have missed your post!

(for everyone else's information, he actually texted me to point out my oversight)

I thought the same thing since I posted even before DT. But rather than point it out, I decided not to give a sh!t.

Edited by Hurin

Maybe Disney will buy the rights.

I'm sure Fox will let it go for the right price (i.e., Somewhere around the ballpark of "bend-over" to "your grand-children's generation is still paying for it"). The article makes a good point, Disney would take all the risks while Fox would sit back and collect a check. That's the best outcome for Fox.

There's a lot of us (most who have posted) here who think this could be bad. How bad do you think it's going to get? Poor directing? Bad acting? Painfully cheesy/forced dialog? Lame/silly characters and situations that don't fit? Stupid story-lines? Inconsistencies?

No, that's Lucas' accomplishment. The only way this can go is up...

I'm not really sure what they can make the sequel trilogy about.

The prequels sucked but how Anakin became Vader sounded like a good story to tell. The original prequel told the story of Vader's redemption and the defeat of the dark side.

Good defeated evil. The empire lost. What else is there to tell?

The Re-Revenge of the Sith?

Sure the EU found other stories to tell but the original prequel always seemed like the end of a greater saga. A sequel story would just kinda make it like Han, Luke & Leia accomplishment wasn't that important.

I don't think the original crew will be back, they are too fat, old and drugged out (Fischer)

I think they will start with some new characters, perhaps the Solo kids, and have some appearnces by the actors.

Without a reboot, you can't fast forward 40 years, and believe Luke gained 100 lbs, and Liea got drugged up and wheelchair bound.

Looks like hope for the theatrical cuts of the original films on DVD/Blu-Ray have just been smashed

http://www.slashfilm...-set-difficult/

How's that? From what I'm getting out of that article, nothing in this acquisition blocks 20th Century Fox from releasing the original theatrical cuts on DVD/Blu-ray. In the past, George Lucas was the sole party who wanted to bury the original theatrical cuts, not Fox. With Lucas now out of the picture, Fox is free to release the theatrical cuts, if they so desire.

The only problem that article brings up is the difficulty in obtaining a 9-movie "Ultimate" box set. In order to do that, Fox and Disney would have negotiate a deal. But that doesn't concern me in the least, since I hate Episodes I - III. I'd actually prefer to buy the movies individually, therefore I wouldn't have to pay money for those first three pieces of crap.

I'm not really sure what they can make the sequel trilogy about.

The prequels sucked but how Anakin became Vader sounded like a good story to tell. The original prequel told the story of Vader's redemption and the defeat of the dark side.

Good defeated evil. The empire lost. What else is there to tell?

The Re-Revenge of the Sith?

Sure the EU found other stories to tell but the original prequel always seemed like the end of a greater saga. A sequel story would just kinda make it like Han, Luke & Leia accomplishment wasn't that important.

Some of my more dedicated SW friends say that episodes 7 and up are supposed to deal with a new threat from outside their immediate galaxy that requires the remnants of the Empire and the Rebel Alliance to team up; sounds like a bad Avengers/SW Christmas special to me, I know, but whatever; I'm in this for the X, Y, B and A wings...

Edited by myk

Some of my more dedicated SW friends say that episodes 7 and up are supposed to deal with a new threat from outside their immediate galaxy that requires the remnants of the Empire and the Rebel Alliance to team up; sounds like a bad Avengers/SW Christmas special to me, I know, but whatever; I'm in this for the X, Y, B and A wings...

That's the plot of the shitty New Jedi Order books. The novels went to hell after del rey got the publishing rights from bantam, and started killing off character's left and right for little more than shock value.

Wasn't that exactly what happened when Lucas was the only one making decisions? Can't be worse than the hamfisted prequel trilogy.

How's that? From what I'm getting out of that article, nothing in this acquisition blocks 20th Century Fox from releasing the original theatrical cuts on DVD/Blu-ray. In the past, George Lucas was the sole party who wanted to bury the original theatrical cuts, not Fox. With Lucas now out of the picture, Fox is free to release the theatrical cuts, if they so desire.

The only problem that article brings up is the difficulty in obtaining a 9-movie "Ultimate" box set. In order to do that, Fox and Disney would have negotiate a deal. But that doesn't concern me in the least, since I hate Episodes I - III. I'd actually prefer to buy the movies individually, therefore I wouldn't have to pay money for those first three pieces of crap.

If there is money to be made by both parties, rest assured they will make a deal.

From TheForce.net:

"George Lucas has expressed his intention [. . .] to donate the majority of the proceeds to his philanthropic endeavors."

"Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that one possibility being considered is an Avengers-style movie universe with not only Lucas' planned final trio of films but offshoot movies focusing on individual characters."

I don't think the original crew will be back, they are too fat, old and drugged out (Fischer)

I think they will start with some new characters, perhaps the Solo kids, and have some appearnces by the actors.

Without a reboot, you can't fast forward 40 years, and believe Luke gained 100 lbs, and Liea got drugged up and wheelchair bound.

Mate, I am really, really sorry that we are not all looking like Olympic Athletes when we get to over forty. My sincerest apologies and I am sure that Ms Fischer would apologise as well if she had the chance. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of nerds suddenly cried out in shock and were suddenly confused."

:p

So, with Disney purchasing the Star Wars franchise, does this mean I can finally walk into a Disney store and actually find Star Wars figures hanging on the shelves for once?

Back to potential stories and ideas, I wouldn't mind something (films or TV series) set around the Knights of the Old Republic era. Some interesting characters; no Rule of Two to limit the red-bladed bad guys; a compelling and interesting take on the Mandalorians; a Jedi Knight/trainee who's not exactly the cream of the crop; and a Jedi who's tactics, strategies and ideas straddle the line between the Light and Dark sides.

A good writer could have a field day working with those premises.

This is neither good nor bad news, it is irrelevant news.

The last truly great Star Wars product was the Tie-Fighter game (X-wing vs. Tie-fighter was pretty good too), it hasn't really been able to deliver since in my eyes.

So I don't care what happens to it.