Disney Buys Lucasfilm

Old_Nash

I loved the prequels - although I thought Ep1 had plenty of fat that could have been trimmed.

Remember - Disney really knocked it out of the park with Marvel's movies, however JC was a bit of a misfire from their marketing department even though I enjoyed that immensely. There are worse things that could have happened to Lucasfilm.

I look forward to more Star Wars movies.

Not sure whether to cheer that he's not going to be involved in the next movie, or cry because they're likely going to be relegating the entire Zahn/Stackpole/Allston (and those other guys) EU to alternate continuity status.

Here's an idea. Just hire Zahn, and make his books the official episodes 7, 8, and 9. I think someone already composed a soundtrack for them. :p

Not sure whether to cheer that he's not going to be involved in the next movie, or cry because they're likely going to be relegating the entire Zahn/Stackpole/Allston (and those other guys) EU to alternate continuity status. Here's an idea. Just hire Zahn, and make his books the official episodes 7, 8, and 9. I think someone already composed a soundtrack for them. :p

Hmmm no. I would rather that episode 7-8-9 skip to the next gen. New actors,new ideas.

Only problem with that is that the EU has already written out the next 50-something years (and even beyond in some cases) after ROTJ. No matter what they do, they're not going to satisfy a large portion of the SW fanbase (though, those fans do tend to get stupidly picky.. not as bad as trekkies, since most of what goes into the SW EU has to at least get some passing approval by Lucas, but still).

I guess there's three options.

1. They canonize some of the existing EU

2. They throw the existing EU under the bus and call it an alternate continuity

3. They go somewhere completely untouched by any of the existing material, and tell an original story (similar to what KOTOR did)

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing a movie set in the distant past, but they've got to get better about making the technology look older. Given how TOR is doing, it wouldn't hurt to have a movie to tie into for publicity and content ideas.

Still though.. any way they go, I STILL want a current gen update of the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games. Preferably using the plotlines from the X-Wing book series, because they're freaking awesome, and did a wonderful job of fleshing out the details of everything set up from the movies and original games.

Not sure whether to cheer that he's not going to be involved in the next movie, or cry because they're likely going to be relegating the entire Zahn/Stackpole/Allston (and those other guys) EU to alternate continuity status.

Here's an idea. Just hire Zahn, and make his books the official episodes 7, 8, and 9. I think someone already composed a soundtrack for them. :p

Is that really a lost? The EU pretty much stinks and some of the concepts in Zahn's books are half trash anyways.

Can only be a good thing. I mean, how much worse can you get than Jar Jar and the latest Indy movie?  Ironically, it could be Disney that rescues them and returns them to their teenage/young adult-oriented roots.

But even if episode 7 stinks, we'll at least get a Plinkett review out of it.

Edited by Hurin

First my jaw hit the floor, then I e-mailed all my movie geek friends, then... eh, whatever. Either we get good movies out of this, or we don't. Same old, same old...

Wait I don't get it. Lucas/Lucasfilm is an empire unto itself; why would Lucas need to sell his baby, his life blood?

REBOOT! REBOOT! REBOOT!

Isn't it time!? Ep 4 - 6 need to be redone. "You could play with your friends later"... O_o. Really Uncle Owen!? Seriously!?

And Gandalf could beat the $h!# out of old Obi-Wan and Fix that scene when he fights Vader.

Ax the Ewoks. Get rid of the climate controls on Vader's chest and give us Iron Man meets Sauron.

Common Disney. Give us a worthy American space opera franchise so I don't have to keep reading subtitles!

ADDENDUM...

DISNEY, BUY MACROSS TOO!

Edited by Astralith

REBOOT! REBOOT! REBOOT!

Isn't it time!? Ep 4 - 6 need to be redone. "You could play with your friends later"... O_o. Really Uncle Owen!? Seriously!?

And Gandalf could beat the $h!# out of old Obi-Wan and Fix that scene when he fights Vader.

Ax the Ewoks. Get rid of the climate controls on Vader's chest and give us Iron Man meets Sauron.

Common Disney. Give us a worthy American space opera franchise so I don't have to keep reading subtitles!

I've always said they should reboot 4-6 too, but I think they've already said that we're looking at an episode 7-9...

As far as I know, Disney has been pretty much hands off with their acquisitions. The deal with Pixar is that the animators from Disney projects cannot bail out animators from projects and vica versa. And Marvel Studios runs itself even though they under the Disney Umbrella. These companies have to pretty much make a mess of things for the Disney boards to step in, which is a good thing, because the heads of Disney right now are some of the best people to reign in runaway projects (except for John Carter, but that ought to be a lesson, right?)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinchefsky/2012/10/30/lucas-gives-up-star-wars-to-disney-episode-vii-to-be-released-in-2015/

For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next… It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come.

-George Lucas

'Probably should have seen this coming when Kathleen Kennedy came on board back in May/June of this year.

Kathleen Kennedy Joins George Lucas as Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm (June 1, 2012)

George Lucas Says He is Ready to Retire, Make 'Hobby' Films (May 31, 2012)

Edit: And here's a thought from a friend, Star Wars Episode 7 - A Michael Bay film. :lol:

I was always under the impression that SW was Lucas' hobby films. This is his pride and joy, his "child" so to speak-I can't believe he actually sold it off...

While my initial reaction was to imagine a G-rated Star Wars movie where Jar Jar Binks teams up with Mickey Mouse to teach some ethnically diverse group of kids the true meaning of friendship, I've been pretty satisfied with wtih Disney's handling of Marvel (aside from killing Spectacular Spider-Man so that they could make Ultimate Spider-Man). Which is more than I can say for Lucas' handling of Star Wars.

Incidentally, those who enjoy the redlettermedia.com reviews of the prequels should probably find a way to download them locally. Disney may not have quick so lax a policy towards such extensive use of film footage that they now own.

It's about time to reigns of SW are turned over to someone else. I, II, III were absolutely horrible in my opinion.

Padme: That's exactly what they do, the trouble is that people don't always agree.

Anakin: Then they should be made to!

Please let them bring in JJ Abrams, so the Death Star rebooted can have some epic lens flare.

I'm excited, I think (read hope) Disney will do a good job managing the property and honestly some new creative blood injected in a new live-action Star Wars movie or movies wouldn't be a bad thing. Especially given that this was something Lucas wanted to do and wasn't some ham-fisted takeover of the property.

-b.