am I an a-hole for telling someone they bought something fake?

phatslappy

except for the super thick paint job, I would want that. Hopefully they didn't spend a fortune on it.

Oh yeah... telling him the truth doesn't make you not an a-hole Rob! lol.

I mean you still have that poor retarded guy as your avatar.

Its a real VF set

Sorry to burst your bubble.

that is definitely fake...or shall I say custom...

This came up before when the old boards were still online and apart from this there were two variations of max and millia marriage set and at least two versions of 1D trainers.

Used to fetch crazy money during the time yammies 1/60 just came out and takatokus were still much priced

These customs were made in the early 2000s. They didn't make it to fool people, they were just custom boxes made by awesome customizers. There was a Max and Millia one also. Who ever got a hold of it passed it off as a rare original.

You tell 'em, phatslappy! That's definitely a fan custom set, not an authentic Takatoku product. You can tell because of the use of those two screencaps on the front, especially the screencap from "Bursting Point." Takatoku couldn't use screen caps on their boxes because their boxes were designed before Macross' TV broadcast. That's why all of their boxes just use preproduction artwork. Nevertheless, that doesn't take away from the fact that that's a beautiful custom box.

These customs were made in the early 2000s. They didn't make it to fool people, they were just custom boxes made by awesome customizers. There was a Max and Millia one also. Who ever got a hold of it passed it off as a rare original.

If I remember correctly they were not Bandai Valks but Joons Valks. The box looked cool but the Joons valks were a bit floppy. I ended up giving mine away.

This set looks cool. I wish takatoku made a TV Max and Kakizaki valk. I am glad Yamato did.

You can tell because of the use of those two screencaps on the front, especially the screencap from "Bursting Point." Takatoku couldn't use screen caps on their boxes because their boxes were designed before Macross' TV broadcast. That's why all of their boxes just use preproduction artwork.

Interesting....I believe at least one of the catalogs that comes with the Takatoku Macross toys has a few screen caps.....guess it must have been a later catalog or the catalogs were printed/designed much later?

If I remember correctly they were not Bandai Valks but Joons Valks. The box looked cool but the Joons valks were a bit floppy. I ended up giving mine away.

This set looks cool. I wish takatoku made a TV Max and Kakizaki valk. I am glad Yamato did.

Yeah, at the time Joons were more readily available. If I had those boxes, I'd replace the contents with Bandai reissues. But then again I would never play with them, these customs make great displays though.

jvm, I think the boxes with art from the show never got released. Takatoku folded up before the could sell them. I think one of the toys was a Max TV-1A.

Good catch with those catalogues!

Usually, catalogues and other paper inserts are the last things to be made during the manufacturing process, since they can be printed off relatively quickly. And it makes sense that they only feature screenshots from episode 1. IIRC, Ishiguro said that episode 1 (and possibly episode 2) was the only episode that was actually finished well in advance of Macross' debut. As we all know, the remaining episodes were notoriously finished at the last possible minute.