IXTL

I decided to check out my CF 171 in fighter mode again. Interesting. I never had a problem with the big or small triangles when I first bought it and transformed it from fighter to Gerwalk for display purposes. Only after transforming back to fighter did the little triangle break on one side. I've since left it in fighter and the big triangles are beginning to crack. I'm thinking part of the problem is the strange tolerances on the shoulders when transformed in fighter. It seems to be the metal bar that holds the larger triangles is put into an odd angle of pressure when in fighter that isn't present in the other two modes. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that. But that seems to be where it stems from as the full year prior in Guardian (edit, Gerwalk because crybabies) mode I had no problem with the larger triangles. Has anybody had an Alto 171 left in fighter start to crack/break as well?

Edited by Mommar

I decided to check out my CF 171 in fighter mode again. Interesting. I never had a problem with the big or small triangles when I first bought it and transformed it from fighter to Gerwalk for display purposes. Only after transforming back to fighter did the little triangle break on one side. I've since left it in fighter and the big triangles are beginning to crack. I'm thinking part of the problem is the strange tolerances on the shoulders when transformed in fighter. It seems to be the metal bar that holds the larger triangles is put into an odd angle of pressure when in fighter that isn't present in the other two modes. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that. But that seems to be where it stems from as the full year prior in Guardian (edit, Gerwalk because crybabies) mode I had no problem with the larger triangles. Has anybody had an Alto 171 left in fighter start to crack/break as well?

The NUNS Triangle on my Cannon fodder exploded when trying to align the shoulder back to Fighter mode.

I guess the stress was too much when trying to align the part back in place.

I havent seen many complaints from the Alto version or from any reviews. Possibly different plastic material used.

Hopefully someone will produce a spare part soon. Mine will stay in fighter mode until then.

Shut up.

Wow. I'm new to the forums but I can see I should play my cards with care...

Anyway, after several transformations I can say that all my Altos are ok.

Edited by New_Valk

You don't even have to transform it for it to break. Just like 6 out of my 7 all have cracksor breakage problem. Bandai should actually offer replacement parts for their VF-171 CF and make sure the replacement parts uses better plastic.

Mine's good so far - the little triangles on the bottom broke, but that was me being a moron and forgetting they were there.

The NUNS are fine, though. [touches wood.] I leave mine mostly in Battroid, which I suppose is another datum for the "too much pressure in Fighter mode for the bad batch of plastic" theory.

Wow. I'm new to the forums but I can see I should play my cards with care...

Anyway, after several transformations I can say that

You're fine dude, sarcasm doesn't always work via text.

Mine's good so far - the little triangles on the bottom broke, but that was me being a moron and forgetting they were there.

The NUNS are fine, though. [touches wood.] I leave mine mostly in Battroid, which I suppose is another datum for the "too much pressure in Fighter mode for the bad batch of plastic" theory.

See, that's what I'm thinking. I had my CF in Gerwalk almost from the moment I took it out of the box and it was fine. Once I've put it back into fighter everything started to fall apart. I'm thinking that mode puts some excessive stress on the NUNS pieces.

Hmm, I don't know what you mean but I'm glad I'll be fine, thanks :mellow:

The little triangles of my only one CF crumbled after a while even though it's never been transformed. IMO those pieces where made by mistake of some sort of plastic that chemically reacts in contact with air and ends up bursting no matter what you do.

I figured that Bandai maybe overdid it with the tolerances on the metal shoulder joints. The way you have to rotate the arms to get them in their Fighter-Mode position you probably cause some force inside of the metal shoulder block and thus in the black triangles. The strength of this force depends on how stiff the rotation joint of the shoulder is and how tight the tolerances of the pieces are.

I think it might be the sum of a stiff arm rotation joint, bad plastic and a metal shoulder block that is a tad too big that causes them to break. These are also points where Bandai could have changed something between the Alto release and the CF. The fact that you have to rotate the wings at this joint 270 degrees every time you transform it doesn't help.

Of course this could all be a pillow dream.

However I want a VF-171EX Alto Custom badly now. :(

• 2 weeks later...

See, that's what I'm thinking. I had my CF in Gerwalk almost from the moment I took it out of the box and it was fine. Once I've put it back into fighter everything started to fall apart. I'm thinking that mode puts some excessive stress on the NUNS pieces.

All of mine were transformed to Battroid to check for QC. I have not transformed them back due to all the complaints of breakage, so maybe your theory is correct. I am wondering If I put them back in to fighter mode if all the stress will cause them to break. I think they are staying in Battroid mode.

I figured that Bandai maybe overdid it with the tolerances on the metal shoulder joints. The way you have to rotate the arms to get them in their Fighter-Mode position you probably cause some force inside of the metal shoulder block and thus in the black triangles. The strength of this force depends on how stiff the rotation joint of the shoulder is and how tight the tolerances of the pieces are.

I think it might be the sum of a stiff arm rotation joint, bad plastic and a metal shoulder block that is a tad too big that causes them to break. These are also points where Bandai could have changed something between the Alto release and the CF. The fact that you have to rotate the wings at this joint 270 degrees every time you transform it doesn't help.

Of course this could all be a pillow dream.

However I want a VF-171EX Alto Custom badly now. :(

I remember reading somewhere Bandai saying that they increased the tolerances on this version over the Alto version. Maybe they went to far.

All of mine were transformed to Battroid to check for QC. I have not transformed them back due to all the complaints of breakage, so maybe your theory is correct. I am wondering If I put them back in to fighter mode if all the stress will cause them to break. I think they are staying in Battroid mode.

I remember reading somewhere Bandai saying that they increased the tolerances on this version over the Alto version. Maybe they went to far.

This theory could be true as mine was inspected when I received them with no cracks, and then left in the box in fighter mode and recently checked them to sell them, cracks appeared on them. Two had cracked NUNS. The others had cracked black triangle pieces. Only one remained QC free at the moment. Might have to transform that one to battroid if this theory is true.

I've got some photos that I took when mine broke. I photographed the break as well as my repair method. I'll try to get them posted soon.

I concur with everyone else. Mine was OK out of the box and I couldn't see any issues with the parts when going to battroid. It wasn't till I transformed back to fighter that I saw the cracks. Attempting to open up the shoulder to identify how bad it was just finished the job.

Note to all, don't attempt to take it apart, as it puts a lot of strain on the fragile black parts. Unless its already broken and you're planning to repair it, of course.

Edited by mickyg

Luckily all my triangles are intact, though I do have one VF-171 whose right leg went loose and fell off due to a disintegrating leg joint (at the twist joint)

So that's one lemon out of six for me :0

Still think VF-171s are the best looking fighter in Mac F :0

post-25-0-66359100-1401091303_thumb.jpg

I would agree overall. The proportions are good and there's not much kibble hanging off anywhere. I think the only weak point is the headsculpt, but honestly, I like the white stripes on the head. From far away, they look like "Venom" eyes (from spider man) and it looks very imposing. Wish the color was a bit shinier and blue like in the promo pics, but it's still good.

Nope that would be the VF-25F.

Really? Of every VF-25 you pick the one with the most boring head and color scheme of the lot?

Majorly agree with you Duymon, VF-171 is the coolest machine Frontier came out with. ...though it doesn't help that the only real competition for a good-looking VF in Frontier *is* the VF-25.

Really? Of every VF-25 you pick the one with the most boring head and color scheme of the lot?

VF-25G has the most boring color scheme.

And VF-171 can't really be a cool machine since it's not a hero valk and no the VF-171EX doesn't count because it's piloted by a namby-pamby kid.

Luckily all my triangles are intact, though I do have one VF-171 whose right leg went loose and fell off due to a disintegrating leg joint (at the twist joint)

So that's one lemon out of six for me :0

WP_20140526_03_50_22_Pro.jpg

Totally agree with you, this valk has the best looking fighter mode of all. And I have 3 of this like you.

VF-25G has the most boring color scheme.

And VF-171 can't really be a cool machine since it's not a hero valk and no the VF-171EX doesn't count because it's piloted by a namby-pamby kid.

Uh, the same namby-pamby kid that pilots the 25F? :lol:

I do like the VF-25 out of all the Mac F era Valkyries but everyone is entitled to their opinions on what appeals to them the most.

-b.

It's like arguing your favorite Ninja Turtle on the playground up in here :lol:

'sides...you're all wrong! Ozma is the best and would beat all those guys in a straight up fight! He's the coolest and has the bestest hair, and the bestest girl...and Mikey is the best, so there! -_-

Edited by xrentonx

It's like arguing your favorite Ninja Turtle on the playground up in here :lol:

Of course! That's what we do, hey? ; you can never really take the childish enthusiasm out of a mecha fan. ;)

As I recall, it wasn't a '25 that punched a Vajra in the face... :ph34r:

I actually had forgotten about that. That was pretty metal.

Dammit last night i decided to transform my CF.

The triangle I had fixed with glue, crumbled into tiny pieces.

I cant fix it anymore. Lost some of the crumbs.

Right leg broke at the joint above the knee(the joint where the leg twists when transforming from fighter mode)

This damn thing was designed to blow up like in the anime.

Someone please make spare parts for NUNS triangle