IXTL

Mentioned it briefly in another thread but here would be a better place to ask, I realized. Just pulled the trigger on a CF VF-171 myself since I adore the design and the colors just look way better than Alto's. I'm holding my breath, but hoping I won't have many issues since Fighter is the only mode I really like (which is true of most variable fighters for me) so I won't transform it in all likelihood. Is there anything I should be particularly careful of?

Really ticked off with the VF-171. I originally checked all of mine and all looked good except for one with bad NUNs, and cracked leg and triangle piece. Took photos of another one to put up on Ebay over the weekend, and what do I noticed, crack NUNS and cracks triangle pieces. No choice but have to sell it cheaper now. Afraid my others are like that as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

The black NUNs triangle on my CF exploded during the second transformation.

Has anyone come up with a replacement part using 3D printing services?

I have been looking everywhere. I found some 3d printed parts in Shapeways, but nothing for the VF-171

I really would love to get this toy fixed. Quality issues aside, this is one of my favorite designs

I want to say that every single one of my Bandai valks has this problem actually. Given the generic problems of looseness on pretty much every one of them, I'd think Bandai just has no concept of how to design a joint that can stay functional. <_<

Both of my 171s have this problem, and if I recall correctly, tightening the screws didn't help at all, because the looseness is from shoddy friction inserts that don't fit well, and are mounted in such a way that tightening the screws doesn't actually press them against the joints more tightly. All tightening the screws does is overstress the pieces. It's because the entire joint is sandwiched in that stupid locking joint to keep the legs from twisting while extended (heaven forbid anyone would actually want to use that joint for better posability or something).

I can't say for certain exactly how loose my 171s have gotten by now, because after one or two transformations, I gave up and decided to keep them in fighter mode forever to keep them from disintegrating.

Edited by Chronocidal

I'm glad I never jumped on one of these, I've seen the CF 171 going for dirt cheap all over the internet too. I almost wanted one for fighter alone, but I just can't own a valk and live with the inability to transform it at least a couple of times, that's a damn shame too, I love the 17 and 171 designs. With all the paint schemes Bandai shits out, is there any chance we may get another variant sometime in the future, or at least a renewal or re-release of the 171s?

I actually liked the Yamato VF-17 better. The VF-171 was a nightmare to transform. Not fun at all. My Alto stays in fighter mode even thought its safe to transform I just never liked it I have the Alto and 2 CF's armored and looks great in fighter mode.

Agree, the 171 has the least fun transformation out of all of Bandai's Frontier Valks.

I decided to take a look at my 2 CF 171's and neither of them have cracks (real or developing) in the small triangle/black pieces (the ones w/out any markings), but 1 does have a crack developing on one of the NUNS pieces (they both are displayed in Battroid mode and only transformed the once to get them there).

Didn't look at my Alto 171-EX but I'm fine with it just sitting in Fighter with Armor on. If there are any cracks developing then I simply don't care to know about them.

-b.

I'm glad I never jumped on one of these, I've seen the CF 171 going for dirt cheap all over the internet too. I almost wanted one for fighter alone, but I just can't own a valk and live with the inability to transform it at least a couple of times, that's a damn shame too, I love the 17 and 171 designs. With all the paint schemes Bandai shits out, is there any chance we may get another variant sometime in the future, or at least a renewal or re-release of the 171s?

To be honest for the price i don't mind having it as a fighter only figure! Although i did buy it full price on release. If it cost 30,000YEN - such as a VT-1 now - it'd be a different story. Hopefully an RVF-171 will be made with new materials!

Edited by Dimis

Heh, just reading this reminded me, I had planned to try designing a replacement lower triangle once my 3d printer was up again. Good thing I ordered a spool of black ABS. ^_^ I intend to base it off of the Yamato VF-17 design, and just have a simple flap that folds down under the chest. It'll kinda just hang there in battroid mode, but it shouldn't be too visible.

Anyway, I'm probably remembering more thigh swivel problems than I actually have (funny how bandai valks lend them to that kind of thinking :p). In the 171's case though, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that screwball kneejoint. Honestly, half of the reason I don't transform mine is specifically because those joints never work reliably going back to fighter mode, and I'm worried I'm going to shear the entire leg off trying to rotate it.

Edited by Chronocidal

• 4 weeks later...

That would be awesome. I second Pierre. I spent some pretty nervous moments ("moments" is a huge understatement) transforming from fighter to battroid and when going back, realised the triangle piece had shattered. I then spent nearly as long gluing said part back together. I'm now afraid to do anything more with it.

Painting the super parts was fun though and it sure looks amazing posed on the shelf.

The VF-171 NUNS and black triangle are really bad. I have 7 of them. I inspected all of them when I got them and one I had a major issue with a broken leg, broken NUNS and broken black triangle piece. The other 6 showed no signs of any cracks or breakage. They have been left in the box and recently I went to check them out as thinking of selling some of them away.

Now 2 of them have one broken NUNs each and light cracks on the black triangle pieces, 2 with one badly cracked black triangle piece each, 1 with light cracks on the black triangle piece, and 1 still in mint condition. I regret opening the boxes now, as I should have kept them sealed and sold them sealed.

Need to hunt down one valk if the parts are available.

Almost got one before, but cancelled at the very last minute because of the horrifying issues/experiences by other members...

Same here. I actually prefer the 171 over the 25 (maybe it's just the M7 in me), but never bought one after hearing the horror stories.

I bought two and luckily have no issues. I have never transformed mine though, they just stay on a flight pose stand.

The problems I had surfaced after transformation. A couple of clip parts fell out and one of the chest bars broke.

The parts seem to always break when transforming back to fighter mode.

The shoulder hinge is tight and all metal. The nuns triangle is made of 3 pieces of brittle plastic, held together by a screw.

When you try to fold the arms/shoulder back in place, the stress is too much and they explode. Just like in the anime!

If bandai ever re-issues this valk, they should make the nuns triangle out of metal or a crazy hard plastic.

If someone makes a good replacement part in shapeways, the vf-171 would sell pretty well. I really like this design.

Looks badass all armored up.

The stuff with the triangles really puzzles me. It is a non issue on Altos VF-171EX so it seems. So what went wrong with the cannon fodder? :unsure:

Oh and I transform mine never with the shoulder pauldrons on.

I don't know but from personal experience, it breaks just sitting in the box. I got it in the mail a year ago and the right part was broken out of box. 1 transformation with out the shoulder, glued it back together. And back in the box it went till i got the new yf-19. When i took it out the shoulder part was broken in 2 other places.