IXTL

As a way to make amends for the obviously flawed NUNS-stamped black pieces, be it due to inadequate plastic, bad/rushed molding, overzealous screw tightening by the workers doing the assembly, just shoddy QC, or whatever other cause, maybe Bandai should include a couple of pairs of extra left and right triangular parts, in baggies, with the upcoming VF-171 Armored Parts accessory pack. I know it'll never happen, but it would be nice if they did; after all, Bandai must be aware, at least in broad terms, of just how many breakages of these specific components there are.

Edited by mechaninac

Have been lucky I guess, the QC or design or manufacturing gremlins have spared most of my collection (Yamato and Bandai). Of (3) canon fodder 171's (2) are opened and after 1 transformation each nothing has cracked, crumbled or broken.

I generally don't put my Valks thru multiple transformations but I'm extra "aware" of issues that others have experienced so that I can be on the look out.

Sucks for everyone that has issues, hopefully fixes are, or become available.

-b.

Maybe if Bandai keeps up the Macross 30 releases, you might get your wish. Not the D sadly, but in lieu of an actual VF-17 model, they did include Gamlin and Millia VF-17S schemes for the VF-171.

Interesting where they on the regular 171 or the 171EX? Also did Milia and Gamlin fly them in the game? I think the D color scheme would be more appropriate but I would settle for VF-17S colors.

So no one here is fluent in Japanese that could maybe help us contact Bandai about this? I tried my fix and it still failed after transforming the arm back. I'm about to google translate an email to them to see if I can get a shoulder piece. A buddy of mine did that with Yamato and managed to get a piece for his Elint.

Edited by anubis20

IIRC Bandai only replaces full units and does not send replacement parts (unlike Yamato did). In addition they don't have a customer support for foreigners (i.e. for products that are officially distributed exclusively in Japan). I think the only hope for us is a set of replacement shoulders that is included with the Super Parts.

It would be awesome if you have success but I'm rather pessimistic about it. Please keep us updated.

my 4th CF171 triangle piece exploded yesterday. So, all 3 out of 4 have this problem. I've decided to take out the piece completely by removing from all 4 valks. It serves no purpose anyway besides being a hindrance during transformation and only add a very slight aesthetic rounding up in fighter mode.

Nightmare resolved.

And I am thinking of getting another to round up a squadron of five.......

or should I just get more VF-25A?

decisions...decision....

Edited by TCracker

my 4th CF171 triangle piece exploded yesterday. So, all 3 out of 4 have this problem. I've decided to take out the piece completely by removing from all 4 valks. It serves no purpose anyway besides being a hindrance during transformation and only add a very slight aesthetic rounding up in fighter mode.

Nightmare resolved.

And I am thinking of getting another to round up a squadron of five.......

or should I just get more VF-25A?

decisions...decision....

For me 3 was enough + Alto. I would get more VF-25A especially with how good the RVF QC seems to be so far. I hope that extends to all of the future 25 releases including the re-release of the 25F, although I have not had any problems with my older Renewal 25F. I cannot lie though, I really like the 171 as far as sleekness and looks go, but I refuse to buy any more of the CF's with how many problems people have had so far. You would think MW was just a drop in the pond compared to the rest of the world and the reports of defects are pretty high just sampling our board. I wonder what the real defect numbers are globally.

Can't verify the global numbers, but a friend of mine (whom is also my proxy) in Japan said in many message boards, they are experiencing the same thing of explodey triangle pieces.

Damn :( I was only able to look at a few reviews on a couple of Japanese websites and gathered it was happening, but I had to use translate and sometimes it became unclear. Do you know if Bandai has acknowledged the problem? and what are they doing about it?

I reckon even if they do, they would not give a rat's ass. I have been buying Bandai toys for a good 10 years and they have nearly never in any way fixed or recall their products knowing the defects that inherently plague their toys. at least Takara Tomy issue recalls and send out replacements once in a while.

The only one extremely rare occassion I remember Bandai providing a fixed part was with v.1 VF-25S super parts, i.e. the hip intake covers.

but like a lemming that I am, I still purchase their stuffs because they cater for a wide range of audiences.

I reckon even if they do, they would not give a rat's ass. I have been buying Bandai toys for a good 10 years and they have nearly never in any way fixed or recall their products knowing the defects that inherently plague their toys. at least Takara Tomy issue recalls and send out replacements once in a while.

The only one extremely rare occassion I remember Bandai providing a fixed part was with v.1 VF-25S super parts, i.e. the hip intake covers.

but like a lemming that I am, I still purchase their stuffs because they cater for a wide range of audiences.

I skipped all of the v1's but had to get the renewals. I felt it would be years before a competitor would be making Mac F stuff. I think they have put out a decent product overall. I would have not done it though if say Yamato would have had the license. But you can't have it all I guess. I guess they have the corporate mentality of doing no wrong. They are just so damn large and have so many lines that they probably don't have time to deal with us peasants lol.

Edited by Loop

If this is really a widespread issue (and I'm sure it is based on the MW sample) maybe Bandai has to make a move. Since Macross toy products are pretty niche compared to other stuff that Bandai produces the issue might not be a big one in the global scale, at least not for Bandai. Besides that as foreign Macross toy collector there would be no way to get to the replacement parts even if they would exists.

That said it would be awesome if they include a set of replacements with the Super Parts.

Mine are not cracked at the moment *knock on wood* only having a fracture in the part between the two triangle pieces. I will see what happened to them when the VF-171 comes back out of storage.

I heard a documentation about 3D printer yesterday and maybe in the future the technology is far enough to print us replacement parts that are indistinguishable from the factory made ones and include printed on details. It can only be a small step until that happens because they talked about printing living organs and a meat like substance in the (near) future. :p

I should teach myself 3D modeling this summer. ^_^

even is the "cheaper valk" of bandai with my traumatic expertience I had enough with one after the receive with missing part return it and receive again for having complete but with bad painting job on head and crack parts I do not think risk again maybe with another scheme but cannon fodder nevermore

Lol... Worse than v2 shoulders... Good one. If this part breaks you may not even notice for a while.

I suppose 'worse' depends on how you look at it. The 171 triangle breakage certainly seems more prevalent than the V2 shoulder issue, but it's more cosmetic and less catastrophic. With the 171 breakage you still have an intact VF that can fully transform, pose, etc. With the broken V2 shoulder you quite probably lost an arm or two. Not saying I'm OK with the 171 breakage - I think it's enough of an epidemic where Bandai really should follow Yamato's lead, address the issue and offer us new parts. As for which I think is worse, I think the V2 shoulders were a worse problem.

I haven't had any issues with mine. Only transformed once and left in battroid.

Idk... some people had issues opening the cockpit - so what does that tell you?

It tells us that you haven't transformed yours enough for the breakage to occur. Most of us are noticing the cracks after transforming back into fighter mode, and sometimes only after a couple of transformations. If you're suggesting we're being ham-fisted about it, that is most definitely not the case. I thought mine was totally fine too. Then after going back to fighter I saw a crack on one NUNS triangle. Later after my third transformation back to fighter, the other NUNS triangle had a crack. Transform yours a few more times and let us know how it goes.

As for the cockpit, some people have problems opening it because it's finicky and very, very tight on some. It's not one of those canopies where you can just grip the sides and lift, you have to raise it first - and some, like mine, were very tight and hard to raise.

Edited by eriku

I suppose 'worse' depends on how you look at it. The 171 triangle breakage certainly seems more prevalent than the V2 shoulder issue, but it's more cosmetic and less catastrophic. With the 171 breakage you still have an intact VF that can fully transform, pose, etc. With the broken V2 shoulder you quite probably lost an arm or two. Not saying I'm OK with the 171 breakage - I think it's enough of an epidemic where Bandai really should follow Yamato's lead, address the issue and offer us new parts. As for which I think is worse, I think the V2 shoulders were a worse problem.

Fair enough, what I mean is more prevalent.

So, I've found from my three, that the key is to slide the lower triangle all the way in before moving the shoulder piece at all.

You might have to use a finger nail to do it. but it's got to go completely inside of it's opening, otherwise no matter what you do, it still get's pressure.

I'm guessing most of the cracked triangles are from people trying to move the shoulder with out realizing that the triangle is not full recessed.

That doesn't mean flush in the slot, I mean it goes all the way back until it stops.

then when you move the shoulder, it applies no pressure.

at least that's with mine.

I've been able to stop the triangle from cracking anymore.

That's related to my main complaint with the whole figure---there's very few "defined stops"---you never know if you're "done" moving a part, as you don't know if it's moved "all the way" and you fear breaking things if you press harder. It's always "well, I guess that's it--I think it's been moved to where it should". You just don't really know.

So, I've found from my three, that the key is to slide the lower triangle all the way in before moving the shoulder piece at all.

You might have to use a finger nail to do it. but it's got to go completely inside of it's opening, otherwise no matter what you do, it still get's pressure.

I'm guessing most of the cracked triangles are from people trying to move the shoulder with out realizing that the triangle is not full recessed.

That doesn't mean flush in the slot, I mean it goes all the way back until it stops.

then when you move the shoulder, it applies no pressure.

at least that's with mine.

I've been able to stop the triangle from cracking anymore.

It's in the instructions, isn't it?

I think that the "we", besides QC, are kind of "a little problem" by not "reading" any instruction at all.

And, even so, I think that they should come in english (or spanish... :D ), for a lot of "warnings" or little things that should be done, often doesn´t look right in those tiny b/w pictures.

The canopy thing is an example. I´m still to receive mine, but reading it seems like it´s too tight. BUT (and thats a big but) there´s a little hole on the back, to lift it using some tool. If that´s what Bandai intended to do, excelent, but if I can´t read any japanese (wich I can´t) and the pic is not clear, how I´m supposed to do it?.

Maybe it´s a combination of things... I don´t know for sure. Just hope mine came intact, ´cause here they cost a LOT.

Ugg now 2 out of three have broken triangles. took the shoulders off to loosen the screws and the back of the triangle was all cracked. went to back out the screw and it was completely loose. then the piece the screw holds into just fell apart. Luckily I was able to super glue it back together and looks OK.

I haven't had any issues with mine. Only transformed once and left in battroid.

Idk... some people had issues opening the cockpit - so what does that tell you?

I haven't had issues with mine either up to that point, then I tried transforming it back to fighter mode.

The shoulder pops off with no pressure whatsoever and I think to myself well its just meant to do that.

WRONG!

When I picked up the shoulder and tried to put it on again, i noticed that the black triangle appeared really loose.

A closer examination showed to me that it was broken into 5 pieces!!!

I have 9 different kinds of valkyries in my collection so far and this is the first time one breaks up so easilly on me... :(

Edited by Vahouth