Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

...1/55 TOYNAMI MASTERPIECE ALPHAs are directly based upon those kits' design,

and that that fact was chiefly responsible for the multitude of issues those ALPHAs suffer from...

That's a myth. The 1/48th kit may have been used as inspiration and, to some extent, proportion's reference for the 1/55-ish Toynami Masterpieces; however, even a cursory comparisson between the two clearly shows how different they are not only in outlook and scaling, but also in complexity and execution. If anything, the toy is quite a bit more intricate than the model, and the various issues it has are entirely related to how overambitious it was, and how badly Toynami's designers, engineers, and chosen manufacturer flubbed their efforts from part tolerances, to materials choices and locations, to Quality control.

That's not to say that the kit isn't too complicated for its own good, but to pin any of the blame for the Masterpiece Alpha's woes on it is just not accurate. Toynami's failure was entirely of their own making.

Man, the CAD snapshots do look a lot better than the original prototypes, but it still looks a bit off to me. I've not nothing against any new kit that comes out of the VF-1, the more the merrier because that should result in competition (and hopefully not flood the market) but this one's got some ways to go. I used to build models, tons of them, but every since the Yammies came out witht heir 1/48 line and now 1/60 v2 line, I've been too lazy to built kits anymore. Sure, most kits look great in a single mode (Hasegawas are practically flawless in their respective modes), but transforming kits....well, Yammi's already got their 1/60 verision of a transforming "kit" based off their toys. It's going to be pretty hard to top their 1/60 in terms of appearance, durability and function.

If Bandai is successful with this new model line, who knows what other Valks, Destroids and baddies they might consider making, 1/72 is a nice manageable scale to have all sorts of other mechs.

Sure, most kits look great in a single mode (Hasegawas are practically flawless in their respective modes), but transforming kits....well, Yammi's already got their 1/60 verision of a transforming "kit" based off their toys. It's going to be pretty hard to top their 1/60 in terms of appearance, durability and function.

If Bandai is successful with this new model line, who knows what other Valks, Destroids and baddies they might consider making, 1/72 is a nice manageable scale to have all sorts of other mechs.

Yamato’s 1/60 UNASSEMBLED kit UNASSEMBLED is not a model kit, it the same UNASSEMBLED toy 1/60, if am not wrong first toy/action figure like we like to call it that’s sold UNASSENBLED and gives you the experience to ASSENBLED like before factory , it’s more like it satisfies the curiosity kid in us when we use to UNASSEMBLED a favorite toy to see how it functions and unpainted to customize it as you wish, But not a Model Kit.

Now this Bandai VF-1 1/72 VF-1 model kit is not going to be the first VF-1 or transforming VF-1 kit which where ARII or Revell but are more like part former, or nether the first top detail view Valkyrie with an acceptable perfect transformation kit because the first one was the VF-25 model kit

But this may be the first 1/72 scale (VF-1 ) model kit to have top details view with an acceptable perfect transformation kit.

There’s no point in compering a model kit agents a toy/action figure and exposing them as one same kind, when one is an apple and the other is a pear, one is designed with the thought on more of the eyes on its close to details and lines view and the other with more of the thought of touch of playability close to imaginations

level, to me there both different and there both good.

Now if it’s a transforming model kit or a non-transforming kit, which is a sea of different mind. But in my case I just can’t stand any toy or model kit that was inspired base on transformation stuck in one single mode it’s like they never finish the toy or the model, if you going to make it then make it all the way.

Yes but the olds and most VF-1 transforming kits where still incomplete part former half way, something still unacceptable to me. Until the 1/72 VF-25 model kits, given a better detail far down to the rivets and with and ingenuity art of transformation and at its best looks in all 3 modes. And now it’s time for the VF-1 and let’s just hope it’s the first perfect transformation model kit 1/72 for the VF-1 with detail down to the rivets.

Durability and function, on a transforming model kit. I got my 1/72 VF-25S kit in the first preorders in 2008 and still have it without a single sign of crack, after it fell like 3 feet’s first and a piled of toys on top of him, like the Yamato’s VF-0S, SV-51, VF-1S, MP Cyclone and a some more with in a box. Don’t know if it was just luck with him, or maybe if you build it right making sure to feel that the internal parts move and shift soft as you build it, and handling it carefully when transforming it like smoothly changing gears in an expensive super car and not the everyday use car, then maybe the transforming model kit will last long.

I seem to see a few transformation gimmicks that remind me of the Yammies...

Exactly what I thought, especially the revolutionary hip cover and the rotating wrist. Bandai, however, is adapting the hip bar mechanism that was shown in the VF-1 Masterfile, IIRC.

- and that the landing gear and key stress-bearing structural transformational parts will be die-cast, ALA the old IMAI kits.

in any case, i'll definitely be down for at least the Ichijo 1J T.V. edition... :):wub::)

Edited by Shaorin

• 2 weeks later...

Whaaat?! That's crazy - I never even thought that drawing would actually work! If you look at the torso rendering (upper left), the leg delivery plates also look like they keep the back locked in place.

Edited by Kelsain

Whaaat?! That's crazy - I never even thought that drawing would actually work! If you look at the torso rendering (upper left), the leg delivery plates also look like they keep the back locked in place.

I think the delivery mechanism will go back to the torso once the legs are attached to the nose cone. Another innovative mechansim is how they solve the overhang main wings by retracting them in battroide mode.

I'm not sure about the feasibility of having extra movable joints at the foot though.