Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

I don't know how well the VF-25/27 kits sold but even if they did, I think the question still remains whether there's a market for anything outside of the DX/Yamato toys and Hasegawa kits.

Bandai so far stopped the model line after the Tornado Pack '25 and the 1/100 '29, while the DX toys got the large '29, the 171-ex and now the regular '171, so it's clear where the money goes.

Of course Bandai isn't putting everything they possibly could into this. They've got a lot to focus on with their main property right now. I say give them some damn time, though. It's a prototype of a transforming kit that's been portrayed with so many different dimensions over the course of its life, even the creators come up with new ones every couple of years.

They did well with the VF-25 kit, and we've all seen what they're capable of, so give them time.

version 2 is much better looking, I think Bandai was looking at the chunky option again and someone said "NOOOOOOOOOOO no more of that! We'll get yelled at by the masses again! Remember, make it flashy, and make very few of them, then drive it up 300 bucks!"

Thanks for posting VF5SS! I don't think we have anything to worry about so far. I think the head may be a little too large, but every other detail looks good. AND REMEMBER - it's still under design kiddies! - MT

I like the pointier nose of the V1 better, but it may look not so good in Battroid form. Anyway, I'm glad that they avoided the angular front of the canopy that ruins the Hase kit for me. And yes, the head looks very big.

Talk about preferences! I'm the opposite, I don't like bandai's rendition because I can't stand the rounded front of the canopy and nosecone :o

I'd like something between the lineart and Roy's cockpit:

post-557-0-23221900-1354298377_thumb.jpg

post-557-0-70787600-1354298411_thumb.gif

yeah, unless there are some major design changes between now and the final product release, this'll be an easy pass for me,

especially if the thing gets priced above $50ish.

as it currently stands, it comes nowhere near the standards set by the Yammie 1/60ver.II.

i realize that they need to make this kit series stand out from the Yammies

in some way that will make them competitive, but i really don't feel that the road they're on at present is the right one.

we'll see; it's probably much to early in the Dev process still to be hitting panic buttons and pissing pants over this... :)

yeah, unless there are some major design changes between now and the final product release, this'll be an easy pass for me,

especially if the thing gets priced above $50ish.

as it currently stands, it comes nowhere near the standards set by the Yammie 1/60ver.II.

i realize that they need to make this kit series stand out from the Yammies

in some way that will make them competitive, but i really don't feel that the road they're on at present is the right one.

we'll see; it's probably much to early in the Dev process still to be hitting panic buttons and pissing pants over this... :)

But I thought this is a transforming model kit not a toy?

See.. here's the problem with this..

Yamato already released a kit. It's transformable, and designed to be very sturdy. It's even in a bigger scale than this one is.

When you consider that the Bandai one will probably be almost as expensive, have just as many problems with paint being scraped off from transformation, and may have horrible quality decals like their VF-25 kits..

I kinda don't get what all the fuss is about in general. Unless they pull off something fantastic with the transformation, or manage to make the markings themselves built into the plastic so they don't scrape off, I don't know why they think another VF-1 is a good idea.

Bandai models aren't really meant to cater to the same group that buys Yamato toys, though. Even Yamato's kit version is still just an unassembled version of their toy, still designed and geared towards toy specifications. It's really not quite the same thing as a strait up model kit. And the fact that it's smaller is actually a nod in it's favor- 1/60 is a very uncommon scale for aircraft models, while 1/72 is quite common. Scale modelers tend to be very scale conscious, so that actually matters. In otherwords, this is really meant more to compete with your Hasegawas, not your Yamatos.

It seems to me that it's meant to be a successor to the old Imai kits, and I for one am excited about that.

just as many problems with paint being scraped off from transformation

That's coming from the viewpoint of Yamato toys and not from a Gunpla or kit builder viewpoint. The thing is, rarely are transformable kits such as say the MG Zeta Gundam ever transformed and played around like a Yamato 1/60 or DX Chogokin. Most of time, it's built, carefully transformed once (if at all), and left in that position for the rest of its life. Despite the gimmicks, it's pretty much still a model kit for static display.

Edited by Vifam7

But I thought this is a transforming model kit not a toy?

Exactly. People should be comparing this to the old Imai 1/72 parts forming kit......not the V2 Yamato's.

Bandai models aren't really meant to cater to the same group that buys Yamato toys, though. Even Yamato's kit version is still just an unassembled version of their toy, still designed and geared towards toy specifications. It's really not quite the same thing as a strait up model kit. And the fact that it's smaller is actually a nod in it's favor- 1/60 is a very uncommon scale for aircraft models, while 1/72 is quite common. Scale modelers tend to be very scale conscious, so that actually matters. In otherwords, this is really meant more to compete with your Hasegawas, not your Yamatos.

It seems to me that it's meant to be a successor to the old Imai kits, and I for one am excited about that.

Yup...me too. I like the fact that these new ways of designing and revamping the good ole VF-1 are being used. I know the design has been played out......but I love the VF-1's. If it ends up looking similar to a Hasegawa design, but can transform.....the best of both worlds (toys, and model kits).

That's coming from the viewpoint of Yamato toys and not from a Gunpla or kit builder viewpoint. The thing is, rarely are transformable kits such as say the MG Zeta Gundam ever transformed and played around like a Yamato 1/60 or DX Chogokin. Most of time, it's built, carefully transformed once (if at all), and left in that position for the rest of its life. Despite the gimmicks, it's pretty much still a model kit for static display.

Well, no, that's coming from the viewpoint of someone who bought a bunch of VF-25 kits because they were the only decent representation of the VF-25 at the time.

That's not the case here. Hasegawa already makes 1/72 fighter and battroid kits. If you're not planning on ever transforming these kits, why buy them instead of a Hasegawa one? And if you really want something that transforms, why not get the Yamato one instead, since it will be sturdier?

Hasegawas are bound to be cheaper because you don't need all those extra parts for transforming, and if the VF-25 is any indication, the Hasegawa kits will be MUCH easier to build and paint, because you don't have to deal with all the assembly nonsense that building a transforming kit entails. The only thing Hasegawa didn't do is gerwalk kit (that I know of).

I guess the question is this... is the ability to pick to build it in any mode (including gerwalk) enough to convince people to buy these instead of the Hasegawas?

I'm not saying there aren't people who will want to buy these kits and build them instead of the Yamato ones (I'll probably get one or two just because I love building things, and I'm curious how they'll work the mechanisms). I just wonder if there is enough of a market left to justify it. Not like Bandai can't afford to take a loss anyway, but it just seems silly to release something like this now.

Now, on the other hand.. if they want to expand their 1/72 line to include a bunch of other valks? Sure, I'd love to see a complete line of transforming valk kits.

I believe the selling point of this model kit is "transformable in 3 modes", when was the last time we saw a transforming VF-1 model kit? Yes, Hasegawa has done the VF-1 in fighter and battroid, but those are fixed in each mode. Also, I cannot interpret the link between the Hasegawa fighter and battroid kit because the proportion on many parts have been changed. What Bandai is doing now is the answer to Hasegawa and long overdue refresh on Imai's VF-1 transformable kit.

IMO, the Yamato 1/60 scale VF-1 is still a toy, even though they released it as a kit but it's still a kit to build into a toy, not a scale model kit.

Well, no, that's coming from the viewpoint of someone who bought a bunch of VF-25 kits because they were the only decent representation of the VF-25 at the time.

That's not the case here. Hasegawa already makes 1/72 fighter and battroid kits. If you're not planning on ever transforming these kits, why buy them instead of a Hasegawa one? And if you really want something that transforms, why not get the Yamato one instead, since it will be sturdier?

Hasegawas are bound to be cheaper because you don't need all those extra parts for transforming, and if the VF-25 is any indication, the Hasegawa kits will be MUCH easier to build and paint, because you don't have to deal with all the assembly nonsense that building a transforming kit entails. The only thing Hasegawa didn't do is gerwalk kit (that I know of).

I guess the question is this... is the ability to pick to build it in any mode (including gerwalk) enough to convince people to buy these instead of the Hasegawas?

Dunno but there is one other factor that Bandai kits offer. Bandai kits are snap-fit and come pre-colored. Despite the increasing complexity of their MG level kits, there seems to be those who are just intimidated by traditional kits that require gluing, sanding, and painting. Or simply prefer the ease of build that snap-fit pre-colored kits offer. A good number of Bandai gunpla builders simply do no more than snap them together and spray clear flat.

As for transformability, there does seem to be those who believe that model kits of transforming robots should include the gimmick of transformation even though they don't plan on exercising the gimmick beyond the buildup phase. Why? I don't know. You might ask why the MG Zeta Gundam is transformable. It certainly would've been a whole lot easier for Bandai to release a Wave Rider mode Zeta separately instead engineering a transformation system. But every since Bandai began the MG kits line, it was never meant for their kits to be like the old school glue and paint kits. If anything, I suppose this VF-1 kit is aimed at the gunpla building community - not the old school Hasegawa builders or the completed toy Yamato/Chogokin collectors.

Edited by Vifam7

me too, on that front; my very first ever VF-1 of any shape or form

was a poorly painted/assembled copy of the old ROBOTECH CHANGERS VEXAR (IMAI 1/72 VF-1S VARIABLE TYPE)

that one of my nephews gave me back in the late-1980's.

while i've accepted my HCM VF-1J as spiritual successor to that old model,

i can see the appeal in a straight-up direct 21st-century update to that 1982-vintage paint&glue plastic kit.

still, if the damned thing is to be priced about 10x the original MSRP of that aforementioned vintage model,

then that is likely to turn right off all but that hardest of hardcore...

If anything, I suppose this VF-1 kit is aimed at the gunpla building community - not the old school Hasegawa builders or the completed toy Yamato/Chogokin collectors.

i certanly hope so... if i ever AM to be getting one of these new kits, i'd certainly prefer to be having half as much fun building it

as i did with my PG Z-GUNDAM.

i mean, no offense at all to the old-school glue&paint pro-modellers, but i don't see where the user-friendliness

of modern MG/PG style BANDAI model kit design would really get in the way of your execution

of a pro-level build up, considering the level of skill you pros seem to have.

if the vinyl polycaps (which are well-known in their inability to take and hold painting) are getting in your way,

then why not mold yourself a set of resin replacements?

Edited by Shaorin

still, if the damned thing is to be priced about 10x the original MSRP of that aforementioned vintage model,

then that is likely to turn right off all but that hardest of hardcore...

The Imai kit in 1982 cost about 1500yen (IIRC). That's about US$18 using today's exchange rate. Adjusted for inflation, the Imai kit would cost about US$43 in today's money. The Macross Frontier VF-25 kit costs around 4500yen. I would assume the VF-1 kit would be slightly cheaper at around 4200yen - which would be about US$50. They ought to keep the price around that mark.

Edited by Vifam7

The Imai kit in 1982 cost about 1500yen (IIRC). That's about US$18 using today's exchange rate. Adjusted for inflation, the Imai kit would cost about US$43 in today's money. The Macross Frontier VF-25 kit costs around 4500yen. I would assume the VF-1 kit would be slightly cheaper at around 4200yen - which would be about US$50. They ought to keep the price around that mark.

'kay, that's reasonable enough to me... YMMV...

Let me put it this way. My main hobby for the last 12 years or so was building Gundam Models- and of course, other mechs. Glue, paint, all of that traditional modeling stuff. I had stayed away from Macross models in general for most of that time simply because there was such a lack of availability for much of the franchise in any sort of consistent scale. I specifically did not buy any Hasagawas because I never saw much point of a model kit of a transforming mech that doesn't transform. To date the only macross models I've built were two of the old Imai kits, and before I started collecting the large-scale prebuilt toys I would have never even given the Yamato kits a second look, simply because unbuilt toy =/= model kit.

That said, is there enough demand for this? Probably. Mecha modelers don't tend to care if we've built a robot before, since each new kit provides a new angle on any given mech. For an absolutely perfect example, how many RX-78-2 models are there? Or the Zaku? The VF-1 is pretty much in that same bracket- if they make it, we will buy it.

That said, is there enough demand for this? Probably. Mecha modelers don't tend to care if we've built a robot before, since each new kit provides a new angle on any given mech. For an absolutely perfect example, how many RX-78-2 models are there? Or the Zaku? The VF-1 is pretty much in that same bracket- if they make it, we will buy it.

And those gunplas aren't selling well at all, from what I've heard. There is a pretty big glut of gundam kits these days, which is clogging up a lot of stores. I don't know if the same holds true for models; its a different segment and a much much much larger market world wide.

As far as I've heard, the only gundam merchandise that's failed to make a splash were specifically kits from Age, and that's mostly because Age itself didn't seem to go over so well. They're about to release a new MG Nu Gundam, which would be no less than their third model kit of that one mech in that scale- I doubt they'd be doing so if they didn't expect it to sell; they are in the business of making money, after all.

Personally, I think if Bandai deems this new line successful, they might start producting baddies or other mechs in the same scale. Then we'll have something to talk about here.

I wouldn't have too high hopes there; with their re-release of the Imai kits they basically have that ground covered, and I doubt that the other kits have a comparable selling power to the VF-1. Even the Q-Rea kits were cancelled while Macross F was still a hot franchise.

Nothing I see so far says they are models. Really over the top thick trench lines for the panel lines, their layout is nonsensical in terms of real world aircraft. I really don't see the difference between these and the Yamato toys other than less sturdy hinges. I am however overjoyed that Hasegawa will take on the VF-25 line though - now they "know" aircraft and can produce "real" models!