Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

From what I can see, there will be very little painting required like the usual Bandai snap on kits, so it could handle some transformation. So some people will enjoy this feature.

I think the only pose that looks good is the salute pose with the feet hanging.

Hikaru comes with Minmey!, maybe Roy will come with Claudia and Max with Millia, If they make Kakizaki will it come with a steak?

I guess I'm just missing the point here.....WHY would someone want this? If you want a model---buy a Hasagawa and be done with it. Paint it, glue it, look at it on a shelf. If you want a TOY, buy a Yamato 1:60 that transforms and is pretty rugged, and wont be destroyed by handling it (carefully). Don't see why they think these will sell....I'm not buying any.

If you know anything about Master Grade Gundam models and their popularity, I think you would understand. Not everybody subscribes to building models the old fashioned way as with Hasegawa kits. And not everybody is a fan of the DX Chogokins or Yamato toys.

More Macross products is always a good thing IMO.

Edited by Vifam7

Is it confirmed its going to be water decals?

appears to be a sheet each of self-adhesive and water-slide, in addition to a set of reflective foils for the appropriate areas. how generous of BANDAI... :)

o0500037512588929600_zpsac91e169.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

Honestly it doesn't look half bad. The more I look at the finished product the more it's starting to grow on me. Besides who doesn't want more Macross? I only wished it was 1/60 scale so I can put it in the display case next to my Yamatos

Looks like it'd be a fun build, but eh. Just seems funny to me they can think up such amazing little features as the leg and waist system, then at the same time make such bad looking knees and fast packs.

You know the sad thing though.. what I think bugs me the most of anything? The tail hinges look terrible. The rest of the weirdness can kind of be hidden in fighter mode for the most part, but could they really not come up with a better design for a tail hinge than a big dark gray ABS clip? Could they at least have molded it in white? <_<

Well - it is an AFFORDABLE perfect transformation valk that appears to have been molded in virtually all of the right colors right out of the box (it is kinda odd that they even got the circles on the legs and the leg fins molded in the right red and black, but the head lasers are white . . . . .).

It looks like it would be fun to build (something I kind of miss doing) and the engineering mechanisms on there are impressive - still . . .

Personal opinion alert - standard disclaimer - personal opinion alert!

I can't help but agree with a lot of other people here that the designers are good engineers but seem to have a relatively poor sense of proportion and aesthetics (and perhaps an incomplete understanding of their subject).

As out of place as it looks for me, I can kind of give the head a pass because it IS proportionately larger in a lot of the battroid mode line-art and animation scenes. Yes, it IS often portrayed as pretty sunk down as well. However, part of what Yamato got right (imho) when they chose battroid proportions that skewed from a relatively line art accurate 1/8 head to body ratio to a "heroic" 1/10, is that when you give a robot the proportions of a basketball player, those legs and arms seem lanky but aesthetically balanced. When Bandai put panels on the inside of the legs that move to give the arms more room, (which, again, fits with how the line-art of the jet mode makes the arms just sink into the legs) It seems reasonable to expect thicker arms and legs - at least my eyes can't help but expect that thickness for visual balance when you give the robot proportions more suited for a comparatively stocky individual. Instead of looking like either a graceful full court athlete or a brawny brawler, this robot has proportions like, well, a funny looking little guy like me!

We're sending joe blow average to fight genetically engineered giant supermen! There is a reason why superheroes never have "normal" body proportions.;P

That and the leg joint system - wow, that breaks my heart. It's actually pretty cool mechanically, but it doesn't pay any attention to the images I've seen as to how it SHOULD be jointed - and even throws away some of the vestiges of human anatomy that we expect to see in a robot with such a classically elegant design.

This VF-1 doesn't look like it can spread its legs, it looks like someone broke it's thigh bone right above the knee and the legs are just kinda flopping helplessly to the side - throw a reverse knee joint mechanism that's actually from the WRONG VF (its like the designer of the vf-25 knee-joint covered for somebody who was out sick and they just said - meh, it works) and the whole internal leg joint mechanism totally detracts from the beautifully accurate leg exchange mechanism.

The funny thing is looking at the buildups, that internal leg joint system really is a thing of beauty until it goes into the actual leg . . . . Sadly, if Bandai had foregone that admittedly ambitious mechanism entirely, I could have chucked most of the other issues up to just being a different take on this mecha. The proportions are odd, but not out of line with what we see on a human body or even some artistic takes on this machine; the details are dense and really do lend a sense of realism to our beloved valkyrie; the build looks fun and requires minimal modeling skills so virtually anyone can enjoy the process of seeing this design come to life; ultimately it's inexpensive, doesn't much require extras like paint and glue, and comes with some legitimately innovative design points.

To me this design strikes me as a tragic "almost" - like a genuinely fresh take on this design got it's legs broken by a mafia hitman (I'm imagining a Gundam with a giant baseball bat and a wicked moustache - TURN A GUNDAM IT WAS YOU!!!) =D

However, this is one of the few Macross items out there I can actually afford, and because I kind of miss the process of seeing all these parts come together into a working whole, I might actually try to get it in hand so I'm not just another fanboy on the internet railing about something he doesn't have.

Still - I would love to see Arcadia just detail up their kits. What Yamato (RIP) did in the past is already pretty darn close to a fabulous model kit you can actually play with - if they delved into the cad and added internal mechanical details that could be built into the current design I think they could "upgrade" their VF design without making the current 1/60 design adopters flip out (after all, it is a model).

Then it might force Bandai to send Turn A home with his baseball bat and put out a model kit that's truly master-grade quality.

Personal opinion/rant over - you can return to your previously scheduled programming!

Don't see why they think these will sell....I'm not buying any.

Because Bandai Makes millions and millions of dollars selling snap fit Gundam kits just like this every year.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.189688-Bandai-Sells-400-Million-Tiny-Plastic-Gundam-Models

Edited by anime52k8

Actually, I'm curious. I don't see how that pilot figure could possibly work without glue. Is it confirmed to not need it, or is there going to be some point where it says, "Oh, sorry, yeah, this part needs to be glued together" ?

This kit is not all snap-together. It requires glueing on some parts including pilot figure.

http://www.1999.co.jp/image/10221370z/70/1

A full instruction sheet posted on Hobby Search

http://www.1999.co.jp/10221370

WHAT THE!!!????

9154017348_f5237b9578_o.jpg

We already knew about this. I mentioned it a few pages back. That's why I'm gonna get magnets :0

I'll ship two of these from my private warehouse end of the month. If these don't satisfy me I've got my Hi-metals which will be my banday VF-1's :D

If the 1/72's were like souped up hi-metals, these things would sell like hotcakes imho

post-25-0-33511800-1372357749_thumb.jpg

Edited by Duymon

As it turns out, I just got charged for a full set with packs when I thought I had canceled them. Sadly had to ask my girlfriend for 60 bucks cause I didn't have the money to completely cover it. Wow. But hey, I'm sure this'll be a fun kit I mean k'mon, it's not a 150 dollar toy what can you expect?

http://bandai-hobby.net/site/character_macross03.html#strike

03_valkyrie_01.jpg

03_valkyrie_02.jpg

03_strike_01.jpg

03_strike_02.jpg

http://masterfileblog.jp/news/2013/06/27/4119.html

vf1t_01.jpg

バンダイのプラモデル「1/72 VF-1A/Sバルキリー 一条輝機」がついに発売となる。早いところではもう店頭に並んでいるところもあるようだ。

vf1t_07.jpg

マスターファイルブログでは作例によるレビュー記事を準備中だが、今回は一足早く、テストショットを組んだサンプルをちょこっとだけ紹介しよう。製品版とは若干異なる部分があり、またデカールも仮のものを使用していることをご了承いただきたい。なお、一部に塗装を施してある。

vf1t_02.jpg

完全変形を実現しつつ、さらにはバンダイのプラモデルらしい多色成型のランナーとなっている。パーツの配置もよく考えられていて、組み立てる際に部品を探してまごつくことがない。また、部品点数も思ったほど多くない。各部についていくつかのパーツを組み上げればお馴染みの形状がすぐに現れてくるため、ストレスなく組み立てられるだろう。

vf1t_03.jpg

随所に新たな挑戦を見ることができるのも楽しみのひとつ。脚部の関節機構はガウォーク時の逆関節だけでなく、脚を「ハ」の字開くための新機構が内蔵されている。

vf1t_04.jpg

機首部分は腰関節の可動部を内蔵。さらにコクピットと前脚収納庫をこの狭いスペースにきっちり収めている。この設計の妙味、そして成型の精緻さには目をみはるばかり。

vf1t_05.jpg

胴体は主翼の展開機構、胴体の中折れ機構、腕の基部、脚部の移動機構を内臓しつつ、この薄さである。可動部は要所に金属シャフトを使用して強度を保つ。

脚部の移動機構は、当時の設定画で描かれつつも、これまでのVF-1立体物で再現されたことのないギミックだ。この幻の機構が再現されているという点だけでも、バルキリーならば眺めてニヤニヤできるはず。

vf1t_08.jpg

ほかにも、細かいところだがデカールではたとえば脚部の「U.N.SPACY」のインシグニアは書体の異なる2種類が付いている。これは書籍「ヴァリアブルファイター・マスターファイル VF-1バルキリー」で初めて定義された生産拠点の違いに由来するものだが、これまでのキャラクターもののモデルとは少し違った楽しみ方ができるのだ。

vf1t_06.jpg

テストショットの作例は、本体未塗装、ほぼデカールのみで仕上げた。デカールを貼る前にグレーでスミ入れし、パイロット、サブインテーク、各所のクリアパーツのみ部分塗装を施している。

この新キットは、VF-1バルキリーという機体に関する新たなインスピレーションを与えてくれる。とにかく「ここはこんな設計になっているのか!」というデカルチャーの宝庫といっていい。実際に組み立てることで多くの発見ができる。百聞は一見にしかず。ぜひ自分の手で組み立ててみてほしい。

It looks awesome on the promo shots, but to get to those promo shots will require extensive gap-filling and sanding which pretty much is the opposite of the "fun 4-5 hour build" kits that we're used to from Bandai O_o

The second build below shows a lot of gaps that are going to drive me nuts until they're Mr. Surfacer'ed and smoothed out.

It looks awesome on the promo shots, but to get to those promo shots will require extensive gap-filling and sanding which pretty much is the opposite of the "fun 4-5 hour build" kits that we're used to from Bandai O_o

The second build below shows a lot of gaps that are going to drive me nuts until they're Mr. Surfacer'ed and smoothed out.

Not to mention the panel lines to nowhere that need to be filled or rescribed. <_<

I dunno. I think it'll look good, but there are so many design choices that I just can't comprehend. Doing something different, I get.. but so many changes didn't need to be made to the design, and they come off looking worse. And why the blue blazes did they need to make those retracting leg panels for such tiny arms? :blink:

Edited by Chronocidal

I'd be a lot more open to buying this if the black and red chest stripes were molded in colour, not decals or urghhh......foil stickers.

I'm not adverse to building Bandai type model kits, but I can't paint to save my life.

Graham

where? you mean the legs? you know that's strait from the original lineart, right?

vf-1-transformation5.gif

Oh, sorry. I didn't mean the legs. I encircled the part on the nose where the hips are supposed to connect. The manual says that you have to remove the bar at the nose covering the slots for the hip joints, just like the v1.