Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

"In addition, we would like to emphasize is also in the form of action Battroid gimmick and movement of the legs in the configuration instead of just deform."

So are they saying they want to emphasize on the perfect tranformation of the legs or the movement of the legs?

I'm happy with the swing bar. It looks like the panel lines are deep but I know it's just a pic.

Edited by Astralith

I concur, the nose is pointier than a pine needle and the windshield looks a little on the low rider side from what I can see. You gotta love those translation engines man! At least now I have clue (only that) about what they're saying. - MT

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think thats a newer prototype, unless someone can read the Japanese there and correct me.

That looks like they're comparing it to a Hasegawa kit.

Here's my rough translation of the text.

The one on the right is the prototype model introduced this time. The one on the left is [unreadable]....the nose to canopy form, the tail block where the vernier thrusters are, and tailfin angle...even at this stage it can be seen that a number of changes have been inserted.
Edited by Vifam7

K thanks. Yeah, the one on the right is definitely a computer prototype that looks slapped together. Which makes you wonder.. why don't they just show the newest work they have?

I don't think I know of any other company that uses the previous iteration of a work in progress when putting together advertisements. <_<

So, detaching legs then, eh?

M'eh.

Second that. had enough of the swapping leg nacelles business with the old Yammie 1/60v.I,

and i had wasted money on only ONE of those (DYRL Hikaru -1A, very first 1/60v.I release)

before the 1/48s came along to save the day around 2002ish.

yep, those were the days, when you could net a big honking SOB of a variable VF-1 like the 1/48

for a mere $150 (i paid $145ea. for the two i once owned; VF-1A Hikaru & VF-1S Focker DYRL)

Those little bumps are way too miniscule to be attachment points for legs. They might be stoppers for a swing bar mechanism of some sort but they're certainly not where you would attach a leg. judging by how low the legs hang down, I don't think they'll be completely removed during transformation and then reapplied. If they are it seems like a really bad design so far.

BANDAI SELDOM EVER bring anything approaching their considerable talents to bear on anything that ain't GUNDAM related. i swear to god i'm sick to death of that... :angry:

Edited by Shaorin

BANDAI SELDOM EVER bring anything approaching their considerable talents to bear on anything that ain't GUNDAM related. i swear to god i'm sick to death of that...

I think the problem is they do bring their A game on non Gundam model kits like the Real Robot Revolution line it's just that anything that isn't Gundam fails to sell consistently so the lines die off real quick.

Finally someone who appreciates Bandai's transformable model kits :-) I sold mine, but they were so great :-)

As far as I can say back in 2009 I really liked my Bandai 1/72 scale model kit VF-25S it made my Bandai DX VF-25S look like sh#%t. really waiting to see how will this one look, I have a feeling it’s going to be as good as the VF-25S Kit.

I am pretty sure they said you have to swap the nose for the transformation so we knew the legs were doing to detach.

Do you have a source for this info? To my knowledge, such info has not come out yet.

Judging by the magazine article above, they are still in the very early stages of development. I think it's too early to judge anything.

The official Bandai Hobby site is due to be updated on the 26th (as it currently says on the site) so we'll see what if any new info is presented then.

Edited by Vifam7

BANDAI SELDOM EVER bring anything approaching their considerable talents to bear on anything that ain't GUNDAM related. i swear to god i'm sick to death of that... :angry:

Clap..., clap..., clap... That's a new high mark for MW forum. Page 3 and we are blaming Gundam because of malcontent with a PROTOTYPE.

If I could I would have that last word blinking and scrolling just in case you missed what those images were about.

If you are an unhappy fighter mode only person, like so many others complaining here, then you can always pick up a Hasegawa (they make them in two different scales too), Wave (if you like them smaller) or stick with Yamato.

Me, I hope Battroid looks great and comes with good articulation

- double jointed elbows

- shoulder joints that allow forward movement

- maybe a waist joint

- double jointed knees, so I can do kneeling pose with wings folded

- hip movement that is not blocked by folded wings

- ankles that allow for better/finer positioning of the feet

If you are an unhappy fighter mode only person, like so many others complaining here,

then you can always pick up a Hasegawa (they make them in two different scales too),

Wave (if you like them smaller) or stick with Yamato.

actually, i'm as far away from a VF-1 FIGHTER mode ONLY person as you can get.

i just realize that BANDAI has CONSIDERABLE engineering talent under their employ, the 1/60 PG Z-GUNDAM ALONE was enough to prove that to me.

but unfortunately BANDAI seldom ever seems to lavish any of that talent on properties that happen to lack the word "GUNDAM" somewhere in it's title.

i just get seriously fed up with that at times, y'know? i'm convinced that BANDAI could easily produce MACROSS related works

that would certainly put YAMATO's finest to total shame. i can't see that ever really happening, however,

when the company is ever so staunchly insistent that the cream of it's talents remain tightly reserved

to that overwhelmingly domineering, and, quite honestly, overrated property whose title name starts with a "G" and ends with an "M"

yes, i now realize that these photos are of an -EARLY- Proto. however, considering the multitude of serious compromises BANDAI made

with their ill-fated HI-METAL VF-1 line, (including Scale, IMHO) i really don't expect anything out of this 1/72 model kit

that comes close to a parity with the Yammie VF-1s, let alone rival them.

i apologize for getting all steamed here, but, like i mentioned, i'm full well aware of what BANDAI is actually capable of,

and i'd love to see that skill SERIOUSLY applied to something that isn't GUNDAM related for once, especially classic 1980's MACROSS.

BANDAI has given SDF and DYRL era MACROSS their Ass-end for FAR, far too long, IMHO. just saying... :angry:

Edited by Shaorin

Well are you going to put your money, best talent and time into your most lucrative property or are you going to put it into a smaller, niche market property. To their credit, Bandai has been trying their ass off to find which market they can use their Macross license on. Most of them have failed. It's a shame that the 1/100 toy line never made it and it's actually really gracious of them to even let Hasegawa take a crack at the 1/72 VF-25.

yes, i now realize that these photos are of an -EARLY- Proto. however, considering the multitude of serious compromises BANDAI made with their ill-fated HI-METAL VF-1 line, (including Scale, IMHO) i really don't expect anything out of this 1/72 model kit

that comes close to a parity with the Yammie VF-1s, let alone rival them.

I don't think these kits were ever meant to be a competition or rival for the Yamato toys.

Bandai's Macross F kits, while being a nightmare to build for the old school modeling crowd, were easily on par with their finest Gundam offerings.

Indeed, the 1/72 VF-25/27 kits are quite superb if one doesn't look at it from an old school glue and paint modeler's point of view or as some kind of completed toy that competes with the DX or Yamato 1/60.

I think the issue is that support for Valkyrie-related merchandise seems to be very limited (at least from a MW point of view). For Valkyrie toys, most folks here seem to be steadfast only interested in 1/60 scale perfect transformation toys and nothing else. A few of us are willing to build up Hasegawa kits but it's not very prolific due to the time it takes to build one and it's popularity is generally restricted to the more old school modelers. But Macross kit builders are mainly old school modelers as all Macross kits have so far been old school style.

I don't know how well the VF-25/27 kits sold but even if they did, I think the question still remains whether there's a market for anything outside of the DX/Yamato toys and Hasegawa kits.

Edited by Vifam7