Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

Or, if you really feel the need to assemble something and glue it in fighter mode, you could always just get a Hasegawa kit. Or even get a Yamato 1/60 kit, and just glue it together. :p

I dunno why people feel the need to punish themselves by trying to build something with a bunch of problems that way.. maybe a challenge to see if you can overcome the shortcomings? I guess that makes sense.

I'd be really interested to see anyone fix the wacky angles the legs always wind up with though.

Edited by Chronocidal

I mean more.. well, you're not going to be able to mount new pegs on the backplate, since there's no room for anything sturdy, but has anyone tried anything else?

Is there room inside the legs to just reverse the system, mount some pegs on the legs, and drill out the section of the backplate that holds them? I'm really just wondering if anyone has seen or tried anything that would fix it, and retain the transformation.

Edited by Chronocidal

Finally got my hands on one.

The gimmicks are amazing BUT this sucker begs to be glued (especially the legs).

Once everything is safely glued, you can start posing the model and I must say it looks fantastic.

This being said, for all the fabulous design choices you will find in this model, the hip connectors fail to do their job (read: they are too short). I custom made a temporary longer wooden substitute and I must say the overal look of the battroid results much improved.

Pre-mod pictures (fighter mode is amazing, battroid ok, gerwalk sucks - no pictures of this mode, sorry)

post-925-0-92235900-1390395491_thumb.jpgpost-925-0-78645300-1390395495_thumb.jpgpost-925-0-79717600-1390395498_thumb.jpgpost-925-0-67094800-1390395500_thumb.jpgpost-925-0-16726200-1390395503_thumb.jpg

Custom hip connector (wood) pictures

post-925-0-15108100-1390395579_thumb.jpgpost-925-0-13562200-1390395582_thumb.jpgpost-925-0-31780900-1390395585_thumb.jpgpost-925-0-65818300-1390395588_thumb.jpgpost-925-0-11135600-1390395592_thumb.jpg

Please remembre the model is not finished (some stickers still need to be attached and some parts - like antennaes - to be painted).

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Disagree!

The feet are sunken in and those birth giving hips/intakes completely screw with proportions.

Looks like slightly larger scaled legs stuck onto a smaller upper body.

It's still better than the two that are next to it. I still think the Yamato 1/60 pulls off the nicest looking, best proportioned battroid mold despite all the compromises required by transformation.

It's still better than the two that are next to it. I still think the Yamato 1/60 pulls off the nicest looking, best proportioned battroid mold despite all the compromises required by transformation.

Personally, I feel that the Bandai 1/100 Hi-Metal has the best proportioned battroid. Better than any of the larger toys and models. As I wrote elsewhere, it's really a darn shame that Bandai didn't simply upscale the Hi-Metal. It would've resulted in a much easier and sturdier transformation system too.

Edited by Vifam7

Personally, I feel that the Bandai 1/100 Hi-Metal has the best proportioned battroid. Better than any of the larger toys and models. As I wrote elsewhere, it's really a darn shame that Bandai didn't simply upscale the Hi-Metal. It would've resulted in a much easier and sturdier transformation system too.

Couldn't agree more. Bandai should have at least upscale it to 1/72 or even 1/60 and throw in the built-in wheels and heat shields. That would be a perfect VF-1 toy

whats not to love?

its cheap,

its a poor mans yamato..

its a larger variant of the FTOYS Charaworks

i got all my bandai 1/72 @45$ each.. i have 4 of this vf-1s..as long as i can buy it at a very low cheap price..im good.

being a collector, fanatic or a lover of the toyline doesnt necessarily mean you have to spend a lot to enjoy your hobby.

+1 to nexxstrait..say what you want. i love this kit (only in valk mode)

my newest build, roy dyrl super strike

IMG_20140211_202434_zpsb74f6dca.jpg

IMG_20140211_202417_zps888f66aa.jpg

IMG_20140211_202444_zps54cff33a.jpg

IMG_20140211_202502_zpsccb12f49.jpg

IMG_20140211_202517_zpsf55da57d.jpg

IMG_20140211_202525_zps55529d85.jpg

IMG_20140211_202536_zpsdd7f6255.jpg

Nice builds.

Just a little comment. Hikaru Ichijo's Super Valk TV version have a little problem. The color of the fast pack are not blue, the correct color it's a grey green , similar to a RLM 02 from german WW2 airplanes.

http://www.modelismolatino.net/5-tema6416.html?postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=48

I know that link is in Spanish but you can see some pictures taken from the DVD's , the fast pack are green!!!

Edited by joscasle

@joscale,

its nice to hear good words from you (for this kit),

again im not a purist builder/pro-modeller..i just want to have some fun for this wonderful cheap kit in my spare time..

in regards to the color, im not after the accuracy i just want to build a kit thats fun to swoosh around (since its glued shut) without worrying over a chipped paint/decal pieces falling apart..im just after the memory of the valk that i was watching in the 80s.

@vifam7,

only stickers.. i dont want to burden myself too much for this kit applying waterslides. i just build this as fast as i can in one seating on a sunday afternoon.

@joscale,

its nice to hear good words from you (for this kit),

again im not a purist builder/pro-modeller..i just want to have some fun for this wonderful cheap kit in my spare time..

in regards to the color, im not after the accuracy i just want to build a kit thats fun to swoosh around (since its glued shut) without worrying over a chipped paint/decal pieces falling apart..im just after the memory of the valk that i was watching in the 80s.

I know jeje, I just want to point the color, it's a mistake I made in the past. For me it really was a surprise when I realize that the color was green and not blue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any idea what is done to this Bandai VF-1 to make the legs as they are in this video?

VF-1 in this video, though still fiddly, is a lot tighter then in another transformation video I watched, where it was loosing parts and basicaly being on the brink of falling apart.

• 4 months later...

I was surprised to see Macross kits availed at Manchester Comic-Con this year, I think this was the only one they had at the GundamMad stall, or at most, the biggest Macross kit they had.

Anyone know where to get water slide decals for these to use instead of the two sets of stickers they provide?

I thought they came with both, water slide and stickers?

Yeah, I opened the box, there are two sheets. One has a green background, the other has a blue background, which one are the water transfer ones?

And this is more of a anime question but what's the difference between the FAST Pack and the Strike Parts?