Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

To the guy that said the HCM from over two decades ago was a horror, just an fyi those were some of Best Macross toys we had for like a decade until yamato stepped onto the scene. Saying nonsense like that is Bandai Hate gone way too far.

Edited by Duymon

Off the topic a bit, but I'm curious... is anyone else having issues with the random image link thumbnails lately? They look like they're loaded on the forum, but then they link me to some other hosting site, and never load.

Anyway, yeah, calling the HCM bad is like insulting the chunky monkey 1/55ths. Times change, valks got better.

Well mostly.. this one just confuses me, but oh well. Still would be enjoyable to build I'm sure, I just don't feel like doing all the work to fix the things that bug me.

To the guy that said the HCM from over two decades ago was a horror,

just an fyi those were some of Best Macross toys we had for like a decade

until yamato stepped onto the scene. Saying nonsense like that is Bandai Hate gone way too far.

AMEN.

HCMVF-1JJOHN-2-27-134_zps61afc7f4.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

The dislocating ankle panel is one of the things that is awesome about this model... kinda shocked to see someone take issue with it. I also find "cartoonish" to be a pretty funny word to complain about a model based on a cartoon. I agree there are lots of problems though. I think people have looked at their Yamato's more recently than they've looked at the show in regard to a lot of the head complaints. The 1A head looks great.... the 1S head does look a bit overdone though.

I just feel like they could've done the ankle panel differently, it breaks up the shape of the leg when it's extended outward.

I honestly did not see the irony in using the word "cartoonish" when I wrote that. :lol:

I just feel like they could've done the ankle panel differently, it breaks up the shape of the leg when it's extended outward.

I honestly did not see the irony in using the word "cartoonish" when I wrote that. :lol:

there is no irony. a properly executed scale replica of a "Real Robot" Mecha design (such as the YAMATO VF-1 1/60ver.II)

should, by all rights, be so precisely engineered that it should impart an ultimate suspension of disbelief.

in other words, it should come close to convincing you that such a machine could and should in fact actually exist, despite better judgement.

that, IMHO, is the essence of "Real Robot" Mecha design, nothing "Cartoony" about it in the least...

Sorry! It's bad and ugly! ...BUT I am a futureman from 2013! So it's all cool, doods. B))

compared to today's offerings, the 1/55 Chunkies and 1/72 HCMs are indeed Butt Ugly.

still, there is a charm about them that us old farts tend to appreciate; call it Nostalgia, or whatever you will...

Edited by Shaorin

With this big head I'm eager to see a VF-1J model since on the Yamato onces the chin of the the J looks always to small, I really like the head that wee see in the show after the commercial break.

macrossvf1j02va3.jpg

Like in this scene where you can't see the chin but I'm sure you know what I mean.

And I'm sure that someone had to point that out it's the same thing with Star Wars. When you constantly in contact with stuff that finished you feel the urge to improve it even if it's perfect. Maybe Kawamori is constantly fiddling around with his past designs (due to requests from toy and model companies) so he tries something different every time. That might happened here if Kawamori was involved in this kit.

Edited by Scyla

With this big head I'm eager to see a VF-1J model since on the Yamato onces the chin of the the J looks always to small, I really like the head that wee see in the show after the commercial break.

macrossvf1j02va3.jpg

Like in this scene where you can't see the chin but I'm sure you know what I mean.

actually, the Yammie 1J head sculpt is Perfection itself, IMO...

MG is nothing more than a product line - and a mostly Gundam-exclusive one at that. What do you expect would be different if the kit were labeled "MG"?

well, for starters; a nose cavity plug system that doesn't require a removable part,

a gunpod underbelly attachment method that doesn't require a removable part,

and a GERWALK leg design at least as functional and effective the Yammie 1/60v.II.

for all that, i'm still looking very much forward to my own copy of this kit, despite better judgement.

for my own part, i'll just be lumping it in with the other ugly ducklings of the VF-1 world out there such as the 1/55 Chunkies and the 1/72 HCMs.

retarded yet lovable additions to the existing VF-1 stable that add a little exotic spice to the mix... :)

Edited by Shaorin

...and it sits more flush in fighter

it really does? wow... hard for me to imagine a variable VF-1 toy/model head that tucks in in FIGHTER more flush than the 1/60v.II 1J...

Edited by Shaorin

it really does? wow... hard for me to imagine a variable VF-1 toy/model head that tucks in in FIGHTER more flush than the 1/60v.II 1J...

Images courtesy of Anymoon.com

Yammy V2

http://anymoon.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/V2-Super-Hik-2.jpg

vs

Bandai hi-metal

http://anymoon.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Bandai-Hi-Metal-VF-1-4.jpg

Picked one up today at Joshin: 20% discount AND freebie post FTW.

On a semi-related note: the Macross Armour Factory set is still on sale there for ï¿¥2,500, apparently until July 27.

Edited by sketchley

I subscribed to HobbyLinkJapan on You Tube and I saw this on my main page.

Its about the first half of the show.

WOW. seeing the actual kit like that really gets me all boned over it. really glad now i got one coming. :)

further, i WANT that PG 1/60 GP01... :wub:

Piccy:

do i dare to presume that poster was included in the box? :o

Edited by Shaorin

What I don't like the most is that stupid dislocated knee, what is the point for it if you can't fully extend the leg foward foe a good a stance.

What dislocated knees???...

what i can't unsee is its dislocated pen!s... errr crotch.... errr nosecone. :ph34r:

Amazing how even at 10 years old that kit still impresses. (one of these days I really should take mine apart and paint it up proper).

i didn't realize they had a PG of that one out for so long. thought it was a recent release.

had i known, i might have went for it over the ZETA which i got back around 2009.

the GP01 always has been neck-and-neck with the Z as my favorite GUNDAM design...

also, how long does it usually take HLJ to get an order processed and on it's way?

i got the 1/72 1S there, $60.00shipped for 4-day shipping, via PAYPAL.

had to wait over the weekend for an ORDER CONFORMATION. when do they usually send the bill? i wanna get it on it's way ASAP...

WOW. seeing the actual kit like that really gets me all boned over it. really glad now i got one coming. :)

Yeah I'm glad I got one coming to :D . And iI really want to get the PG 1/60 GP01! I just don't have the money for that I'm a abomination :(

Edited by Hikaru1234567890

when i got my ZETA, it was just shy of $200shipped off the BAY.

i dunno if i might've found a better deal elsewhere, probably could've, but it was still the most expensive model kit i've ever gotten,

and probably will remain as such.

BOY what an assembly EXPERIENCE, though! and here i used to think that PG's were complicated... :o:):wub:

Edited by Shaorin

I really like the look of this kit. I think I am more interested in it simply because they tried something a bit different. To me it really has the proportions of the Line art in the DYRL film.(cept the strange knee caps..)

In all honesty, every kit has some issues with it. Even Hasegawa has had issues with their kits. I think the kit looks great and considering how much more engineering went into this and how much articulation there is, they did a good job (versus great job). You have to give them credit for making a model kit with the closests transformation and articulation yet. The generous weapons load set is a nice touch too. Yes there are proportions issues, but most kits have that anyhow. - MT

MG is nothing more than a product line - and a mostly Gundam-exclusive one at that. What do you expect would be different if the kit were labeled "MG"?

well, for starters; a nose cavity plug system that doesn't require a removable part,

a gunpod underbelly attachment method that doesn't require a removable part,

and a GERWALK leg design at least as functional and effective the Yammie 1/60v.II.

To suggest that everything Bandai apparently got wrong would have been better if they'd truly brought their A-game... It gives them too much credit I think. I mean, of all the MGs, how many even transform? Of those, how many transformations are on par with the Valkyrie? Zeta's about the only one IMO - the only one where the transformation makes the design really sensitive to proportional changes - and even then, Zeta's waverider mode isn't nearly as coherent as the Valkyrie's fighter mode.

Did that guy do this amazing job and then get scared of scratching the paint?

Which is why I'm hesitant about buying transformable kits. The very least one would like to do with these kits is to give them a clear coat to get rid of the plasticky finish. But with so many moving parts, it's hard to avoid scraping paint or clear coat off during transformation.

To suggest that everything Bandai apparently got wrong would have been better if they'd truly brought their A-game... It gives them too much credit I think. I mean, of all the MGs, how many even transform? Of those, how many transformations are on par with the Valkyrie? Zeta's about the only one IMO - the only one where the transformation makes the design really sensitive to proportional changes - and even then, Zeta's waverider mode isn't nearly as coherent as the Valkyrie's fighter mode.

indeed, much as i like the Z-GUNDAM, i must confess even i feel it's transformation and WR mode to be a flaming train wreck,

especially in contrast to just about any VF, most especially the VF-1.

while the ZETA is very nice as far as GUNDAMs go, IMHO, it's design, like many others of the GUNDAM universe,

is most definitely what i would ultimately consider worthy of fellow MWer UN_MARINE's "Cartoonish" descriptor, Real Robot era design or no...

Edited by Shaorin