Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

I saw the build up kit of this at Yodobashi-Akiba a couple of weeks ago.

My first reaction was it was great seeing it in person as it was a surprise! At a quick glance I loved it but upon looking at the small details there are some odd deatails like the hinged side heel plates and my big issue is the small arms. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be in person.

Overall it's a new VF-1 kit and I'm looking forward to building it. I'm curious how the build pattern is going to be as well as the small details. Andrew and I will be doing a co-review on collectiondx about this from both a toy collector and modeler point of view.

Leonardo

Got to have a pretty good look at this at the International Tokyo Toy Show - apologies in advance for the poor quality of the pics. The friend with me who had the good camera hasnt sent his to me yet.

4.JPG

dislocated patella

Edited by Vi-RS

i cannot help but maintain; couldn't they have at least attempted to observe the many great things that Yammie had gotten right with the 1/60v.II,

and built upon that solid foundation, rather than go absolutely crazy with the whole thing like this? :angry:

Edited by Shaorin

Got to have a pretty good look at this at the International Tokyo Toy Show - apologies in advance for the poor quality of the pics. The friend with me who had the good camera hasn't sent his to me yet.

I don't think better quality pictures are going to improve things any...

Nice to see the fighter can lock together a little better than they did it before, at least.

I don't know. I mean, it doesn't look entirely terrible, but some things are just so far off, it's really hard to overlook them. The arms looks skinnier than the 1/48th's, and the entire leg mechanism just looks weird.

Sad part is, they went to all that work to make a fancy leg hinge system, and somehow they still can't get a decent gerwalk pose. <_< Considering you can already get dedicated battroid and fighter kits, I would have hoped they would have emphasized gerwalk a little more, but that screwy knee design just looks terrible.

The model and toy departments at Bandai reeealllly need to stop with this nonsense about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Knee swivels should be a standard feature on anything by this point.

Totally agree on the knee swivel, and the ugly big head. I'll throw in the towel on this, it's just too far off the mark of my current expectations for a vf-1 thanks to Yamato and even Bandai's own Hi metal version. There are still some really cool features on this kit though, I love the integrated articulated hands and the added ankle flap is an interesting feature. Disappointed at you, Bandai...

Either the guy who poses the thing doesn't know how to pose it or it can't be posed any further which is a complete fail.

Only way to make that ugly ducking look properly good and proportioned by kitbashing is by using kyekye + Mwcheng modding levels.

At least the box art looks pretty nifty.

That's the very first thought that crossed my mind when I looked at the pics.

The battroid's proportions are all wrong, and the hips have been brought up way too many times to warrant another mention. While I understand that some of those issues might have to do with the transformation and all, can't they at least make the head a little smaller? Any damn fool can see it's way too big for the rest of the kit.

That is some seriously beautiful artwork--I might just download that pic and find a shop to print that on glossy paper for a poster.

The contents of that box, on the other hand....

You know what does throw me off about the nose.. they really did curve it downwards a bunch. Not as much as that previous kit, but more than I've seen on any other recent interation. Line-art pickyness aside, it just looks weird that way to me. :huh:

Honestly, the fighter mode is probably the prettiest of its three modes, which isn't saying much.

That is some seriously beautiful artwork--I might just download that pic and find a shop to print that on glossy paper for a poster.

The contents of that box, on the other hand....

Honestly, the fighter mode is probably the prettiest of its three modes, which isn't saying much.

Indeed, wish there's a higher res version though.

canceled pre-order......placing all bets on Arcadia for PT valks going forward......based on what Bandai has done with this kit, I have little faith they can pull off a decent DX VF-1 sculpt, with that said....supporting the kit to encourage a DX VF-1 seems pointless......

Arcadia, don't fail me know! :unsure:

Indeed, wish there's a higher res version though.

You can count on Hobby Search providing high-res pic.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10221370

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10221370p/10/1

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10221376

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10221376p/10/1

The new finished item pics also fixed the scrips on nose, arms, chest and wings. I will wait for the instruction scan from them before making final judgment.

The fast/strike back pack is still smaller and put further back then the other toys.

post-467-0-76367000-1371649359_thumb.jpg

Edited by CF18

Looking back at all the cads images and the prototypes, I have to say that 50% of the ugliness of this kit is due to the inability of those who did the display to pose the thing correctly. The same goes for Yamato toys: after all these years, they still haven't figured out how to correctly pose the VF1 v2 shoulders!!!

Edited by nexxstrait

Completely fail... Ugly scale, Ugly shape,Ugly Joint, Ugly panel line, Ugly Decal.

The only great works is the transformation design.

It is the first time "must skip" item mark on my MACROSS buying list.

Wait for the next large scale model if there have a plan such as MG/ PG in 1/48 scale.

P.S.

Wait to see how those amazing pro modellers on Hobby magazines to tweak this Ugly Duckling :)

Edited by Hayao Kakizaki

Looks like Roy is set for September already. I wonder if they'll milk it and put out Max and Kakizaki as well

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=TOY-RBT-3527

Pre-ordered. queer-looking bitch as this bird might be, if i'm ever to be giving even one of these blasted things a shot, the Focker -1S is definitely the one i want to get suckered for... :)

Edited by Shaorin

Yeah, I'm wondering if there's some sort of back/chest articulation. Battroid mode is often shown with a jutting crotch in the anime so I've been waiting for a toy manufacturer to figure out how to make it happen. I think Kaiyodo's Revoltech valk did it. The canopy shield makes it pretty difficult to pull off (though not impossible) on a PT toy.

I think there's a ton of promise in this kit but it does feel like a first effort. Shrink the head down a tiny bit, make it so the head is a double ball joint system that extends like the DX toys, and then the legs probably need a tweak or two (hard to tell exactly what yet) and this thing could be pretty sweet.