Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

you guys are very hard to please :p

indeed; that's what a decade-long bountiful harvest of MACROSS goods,

after 20+ years of deprivation and disappointment, will often do to a hard-core fan.

you would not believe what us hard-cores were willing to settle for before the yammie 1/48 and 1/60v.II came along...

I know the line art aesthetic might not appeal to you but it makes sense that that's what they'd be going for.

the almighty line art does not appeal to me because it simply does not take into proper perspective

what is required to make the VF-1 actually work in three-dimensional reality, physics, proportions and all that great stuff.

after 15+ years of personal experience with Anime Magic, parts-forming and other various compromises

with variable MACROSS VF products, i am only too thankful for YAMATO's CAD/CAM driven "PERFECT TRANSFORMATION" philosophy,

and that Kawamori's great almighty line-art, while way ahead of it's time, was only a rough draft and first step in the grand scheme

of the engineering process required to bring the VF-1 and it's transformation design into full physical reality as a scale mock-up.

that said, i understand that BANDAI basically MUST do something different with a hypothetical variable VF-1 model

to make it marketable in today's YAMATO-dominated MACROSS variable-VF market,

but i honestly believe BANDAI was on a better track with their defunct HI-METAL VF-1 design

than with this Chibi-bobble-headed 1/72 scale model kit...

Edited by Shaorin

I'm not seeing anything yet that endears me to it more than to the old Imai kits. :-) Of course, that may change when they release a 1J Milia that doesn't require much painting!

I'm not seeing anything yet that endears me to it more than to the old Imai kits. :-) Of course, that may change when they release a 1J Milia that doesn't require much painting!

well, if it can at least achieve parts-less transformation,

then it's got the old IMAI/BANDAIs by the balls right then and there, IMHO.

big bonus if it includes at least die-cast landing gear and rubber tires...

Edited by Shaorin

Really not sure why people still want a transformable VF model kit these days anymore, when:

1. They invariably break after a few transformations.
  2. Paint and/or decals will scratch if you transform them.
  3. Current generation transformable toys from Yamato and Bandai look amazing and will survive a lot more transmormations than a model kit.
  4. Transforming model kits give away a lot of accuracy in order to incorporate the transformation, ie gaps, visible hinges etc.

Back in the bad old days of the 80s or early-to-mid 90s I could understand it more, as if we wanted a transforming VF our choices were limited to the old Bandai kits, Chunky Monkies, HCMs or SHE garage kits, but now we are spoilt for choice with Yamato and Bandai.

I find it amusing that some members are wishing the Bandai kit is more like the Yamato V2. Haha, in that case just buy a V2, it comes in kit form also :p

I just don't see this Bandai VF-1 kit bringing anything more to the table than the Yamato VF-1 already does.

I've been collecting Macross models and toys on and off since 1983 and continuously since 1988 and have gone the whole route from the early Arai/Imai kits, to the Bandai kits, Chunky Monkies, HCMs, Bandai Macross 7 models and toys, pro-built SHE Kits, pro-built Hasegawa kits, Yamato toys, Bandai frontier kits and toys. Honestly, I would never ever go back to transfoming model kits again.

Honestly, if I was still into model kits and wanted a realistic looking VF-1 that I could paint for display, I'd buy a Hasegawa or Wave kit.

Graham

I don't get it either. A model is for display. Transforming it will destroy all the work you've put into the finish.

I find it amusing that some members are wishing the Bandai kit is more like the Yamato V2. Haha, in that case just buy a V2, it comes in kit form also :p

Exactly!

I look forward to it though. Perhaps some elements will be able to be modified for other kits....

Really not sure why people still want a transformable VF model kit these days anymore, when:

3. Current generation transformable toys from Yamato and Bandai look amazing and will survive a lot more transmormations than a model kit.
  4. Transforming model kits give away a lot of accuracy in order to incorporate the transformation, ie gaps, visible hinges etc.

I find it amusing that some members are wishing the Bandai kit is more like the Yamato V2. Haha, in that case just buy a V2, it comes in kit form also :P/>

I just don't see this Bandai VF-1 kit bringing anything more to the table than the Yamato VF-1 already does.

1. Most transformable kits are rarely if ever played around like a toy.

2. Some paints are more durable than others. Acrylic paint tends to scratch off rather easy even with layers of clear coat. Enamel paints are much tougher and harder to damage.

(with Bandai kits, thanks to their kits being pre-colored, there's also a contingent out there who don't paint or simply sprays clear flat)

3. Kit builders don't care for the transformation play aspect. The buildup is fun part and when it's completed it's put on display so they can enjoy their own handiwork.

4. Not all transformation kits give away accuracy to incorporate transformation. The VF-25/27 kits were pretty darn good in terms of accuracy.

The Yamato toys are nice but I also enjoy building kits. Also, I'm not too fond of Yamato toys being in 1/60 scale - a scale that isn't used much outside of a few Bandai Perfect Grade Gundam kits and Yamato's own Macross line. I prefer Valkyries to be in 1/72 scale so that they can be in scale with my real world aircraft models. Hasegawa offers Valkyries in 1/72 scale but their kits tend to scare away novice builders and sometimes I like to build kits that don't require so much work.

While I personally don't care for the transformation aspect, the argument made by some kit builders in the gunpla community is that - if the mecha transformed in the show then the kit too should transform as well (even if most of them don't plan on exploiting that feature). Odd but true.

Edited by Vifam7

Models are also a lot easier to custom paint since it is already in pieces.

Sometimes it is about the process and not the final result. I dig my Yamato's but there is something to be said about taking your time with a cool model.

Back in the bad old days of the 80s or early-to-mid 90s I could understand it more, as if we wanted a transforming VF our choices were limited to the old Bandai kits, Chunky Monkies, HCMs or SHE garage kits, but now we are spoilt for choice with Yamato and Bandai.

I've been collecting Macross models and toys on and off since 1983 and continuously since 1988 and have gone the whole route from the early Arai/Imai kits, to the Bandai kits, Chunky Monkies, HCMs, Bandai Macross 7 models and toys, pro-built SHE Kits, pro-built Hasegawa kits, Yamato toys, Bandai frontier kits and toys. Honestly, I would never ever go back to transfoming model kits again.

Honestly, if I was still into model kits and wanted a realistic looking VF-1 that I could paint for display, I'd buy a Hasegawa or Wave kit.

Graham

Totally hear that!

Why transformation in a model kit is not a plus for me is because I build kits to B-U-I-L-D them. The joy is in the building. After that, when I admire it on the shelf, its my handi-work I'm admiring. (Plus the cool pose I've put it in!) \

I just don't see any benefit in being able to take it down , transform it and put it back on the shelf. In fact its better if they don't transform for all the reasons already stated, but also because that means I get to build it in all modes. More building equals more fun!!!

1. Most transformable kits are rarely if ever played around like a toy.

2. Some paints are more durable than others. Acrylic paint tends to scratch off rather easy even with layers of clear coat. Enamel paints are much tougher and harder to damage.

(with Bandai kits, thanks to their kits being pre-colored, there's also a contingent out there who don't paint or simply sprays clear flat)

3. Kit builders don't care for the transformation play aspect. The buildup is fun part and when it's completed it's put on display so they can enjoy their own handiwork.

4. Not all transformation kits give away accuracy to incorporate transformation. The VF-25/27 kits were pretty darn good in terms of accuracy.

The Yamato toys are nice but I also enjoy building kits. Also, I'm not too fond of Yamato toys being in 1/60 scale - a scale that isn't used much outside of a few Bandai Perfect Grade Gundam kits and Yamato's own Macross line. I prefer Valkyries to be in 1/72 scale so that they can be in scale with my real world aircraft models. Hasegawa offers Valkyries in 1/72 scale but their kits tend to scare away novice builders and sometimes I like to build kits that don't require so much work.

While I personally don't care for the transformation aspect, the argument made by some kit builders in the gunpla community is that - if the mecha transformed in the show then the kit too should transform as well (even if most of them don't plan on exploiting that feature). Odd but true.

1) I'm the opposite. If it transforms, then I wanna transform it. When I built the Bandai Macross Frontier kits, the Damn tab that locks the groin tab broke after only 2 to 3 transformations. Same thing with the fragile wing tab on Bandai's VF-19 kits.

2) But Bandai Macross kits are not usually as pre-coloured as their Gundam kits. Pretty much all of the coloured trim on Bandai Macross kits is usually decals or stickers.

3) Most, but not all. I think there's many people like me who occasionally buy & build kids of our favourite mecha, just because there is no toy available. Thankfully, this is mostly not the case with Macross anymore.

4) Intakes on the VF-27 kit were fugly. Still many gaps on the Frontier fighter kits. I think it's funny that the renewal toy ended up better proportioned than the kit :)

Yes, there is the scale issue and I know many people do prefer 1/72 over 1/60.

Graham

4) Intakes on the VF-27 kit were fugly. Still many gaps on the Frontier fighter kits. I think it's funny that the renewal toy ended up better proportioned than the kit :)

Graham

If I recall correctly, the VF-25/27 kit designer transferred over to the Collectors Division to work on the Renewal Chogokins so I'm guessing he (and Kawamori) were making improvements with each go around.

I'm a hardcore model builder and after building two or three of just about everything, kinda wanted more (that's when I started to R/C ships and put bottle rockets on them as ordinance) :rolleyes:

But the first time I saw the transforming "Robotech" model kits (sorry guys, I had to say it for referance), I HAD to get one. Then when it hit the air about a week or two later, I HAD to have ALL of them. My hobby budget went from R/C to robots (which I've loved since a kid in the 70's).

The transforming part is cool to me with all the engineering involved - especially those 80's kits! Not much computer anything at that time. But I still love them because if you get bored of it, you can change it. I always used special paints or unpainted areas when there might be rubbing so no big deal.

Why a transforming kit? Because it's AWESOME! Just my two cents! - MT

Only problem with the whiskers.. in 1/72? Those things would be the size of salamis sticking out of the nosecone. They're huge.

I understand wanting to make a plane look "modern," or more "realistic," but in this case they just look out of place. Not to mention they'd probably get snapped off by the legs.

Did any of the lineart have anything like that? I mean, there are a multitude of standard antenna types that many aircraft have, but you don't see those on the various valks, and it makes plenty of sense when you consider the leap in technology.

I just hope they're some artifact of the rapid prototyping process. At least if they do wind up in the kit, they'll be really easy to remove.

Edited by Chronocidal

Actually I am surprised how good that CAD is looking. I dont think the nose is short, rather the extra panel line that has become common on these lately (representing the radome) breaks up the profile in the art and makes it look short. Pay attention to the entire nose on the elevation view and see what I mean.

I'm getting more and more excited about this the more we see of it. I seriously cannot wait to paint one of these up and stand it up next to the old Imai transforming kits. Like, 30 years of progress.

exactly what i look forward to.

for something of a sneak-peek, compare my Yammie 1/60v.II -1J Hikaru T.V. to my BANDAI 1/72 HCM of the same;

MACROSSCOLLEJOHN3-23-112.jpg

VF-1JIchijoTVcollection2-9-111.jpg

VF-1JIchijoTVcollection2-9-112.jpg

VF-1JBATT6-8-11.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

Thanks Vifam for the new link. This is looking GREAT now! Guys, if they have EXTRA detail you don't like, just cut it off! I don't believe those probes are in the original line art. so if they look out of place or too big, get your side cutters out and SNIP! The important part is that the needed details seem to be spot on (from what I can see).

This kit is looking MUCH better. I'd like to know how the trasnformation is supposed to go. I hated the two piece swap on the old Imai kit, but loved the clean trasnformation of the Legios kits (still do). - MT

i've heard that those 1/48 variable LEGIOSS are a real bitch to work with, though.

i've also heard that those kits are allegedly far too complex for their own good,

and that the 1/55 TOYNAMI MASTERPIECE ALPHAs are directly based upon those kits' design,

and that that fact was chiefly responsible for the multitude of issues those ALPHAs suffer from...

Edited by Shaorin