Appleseed the Movie

Gunbuster

Ive been watching the movie in bits the last day, but just had to turn it off during the scene on the research platform in the ocean. As much as I wanted to like this movie, the total change in the characters and the contrived plot just killed it for me. The characters more than anything, the dynamic between Bri and Deunan is so different, it's really disapointing.

One thing that really appealed to me about Shirow was that his stuff was so not-anime. He avoided using a lot of the cliches of the genre, his characters were intelligent, it's just disapointing to see his work turned into generic anime mush.

The re-united lovers, yawn. The repressed memories, ugh. The ESWAT acting like every other anime "military" (getting their mission briefs as they run through dramatically lighted hallways towards their mecha). Just blows, give me Oshi's 120minutes of verbal masturbation any day over this.

BUT, I will say I do like the animation. The action scenes are awesome, the land mates look really, really good.

And I'll still go see it in theatres, assuming it's playing in my area.

Ive been watching the movie in bits the last day, but just had to turn it off during the scene on the research platform in the ocean. As much as I wanted to like this movie, the total change in the characters and the contrived plot just killed it for me. The characters more than anything, the dynamic between Bri and Deunan is so different, it's really disapointing.

One thing that really appealed to me about Shirow was that his stuff was so not-anime. He avoided using a lot of the cliches of the genre, his characters were intelligent, it's just disapointing to see his work turned into generic anime mush.

The re-united lovers, yawn. The repressed memories, ugh. The ESWAT acting like every other anime "military" (getting their mission briefs as they run through dramatically lighted hallways towards their mecha). Just blows, give me Oshi's 120minutes of verbal masturbation any day over this.

BUT, I will say I do like the animation. The action scenes are awesome, the land mates look really, really good.

And I'll still go see it in theatres, assuming it's playing in my area.

Well, I for one won't pass judgement on the movie until it hits American theaters next month. Until then, I can only hope my area will luck out again and get their hands on a subtitled copy of the film to show. GitS2 was awesome subbed, except for the Locus-Solus HQ scene with Batou and Togusa constantly qouting lines from various literary works. I could barely keep up with the movie for those few minutes.