Appleseed the Movie

Gunbuster

Is the Appleseed movie more entertaining than Man Machine Interface was?

Oh, Hell yeah, but then again I didn't like MMI one bit. I do think as things are right now that a Stand Alone Complex Movie would kick this Appleseed's butt though. The thing there is, I love the whole team on SAC, to where this movie is largely Deunan's and no one else's. I mean, sure Bri's in there and all, but he's kinda inbetween a main character and a supporting one. If the second movie gives us a core ESWAT unit to latch on to and doesn't attempt to rewrite too much of the manga's past then I think it'd be a tough call against a SAC movie.

Good, 'cause I hated MMI with a passion. :D

I don't mind if they focus on Deunan, but sidelining Briareos is a big no-no. The rest of the ESWAT crew can be minimized without hurting the story, but the Deunan/Bri interaction was always one of the strong points of the manga. But like you said, perhaps we'll get that in the sequels.

And a SAC movie would kick so much ass it wouldn't even be funny. Instead, we'll have to wait and see what Innocence has in store for us. :unsure:

I keep hearing that Innocence is freaking incredible. Have to wait and see though.

I have no doubt that the animation will be mind-numbingly good, but I'm a little leery of what Oshii will do with the story. He has a tendancy to make relentlessly downbeat stories. I'm just worried that Innocence will just be 2 hours of Bateau moping around, staring off into space while contemplating his existance. For my money, Stand Alone Complex is much closer to the tone of the original manga.

But that discussion might be better suited for the "Shirow Appreciation" thread.

EXO: Those are the new Appleseed figures coming out. Better than those DVD+ figures I reckon.

I found a pic of the whole set. I wouldn't exactly call it better. I think these come like Gashaphons. Individual, but you can get the whole box. But the Deunan head sculpt is horrid. So is the Bri. I don't know who those other guys are, so I don't know what they're suppose to look like (they look like red shirts.)

Look at those ugly shoulder joints. Can't wait to get them... :p

post-25-1082995802.jpg

There's shoulder covers for those figures EXO. The bodies for those guys are pretty much copies of the microman figure, they're even the same size. For gashapons to have twenty points of articulation is pretty amazing.

Did you order a set? I just picked mine up and I like them. Remember, these things are only supposed to be 300yen each so that's pretty good bang for your buck. Even if the joints could be stiffer and the head sculpts could be better.

Oh yeah, I believe they are made by Yujin, not too sure though. I could'nt find a name on the slip of paper but it does say SR Series and so I think it's Yujin.

There's shoulder covers for those figures EXO. The bodies for those guys are pretty much copies of the microman figure, they're even the same size. For gashapons to have twenty points of articulation is pretty amazing.

Did you order a set? I just picked mine up and I like them. Remember, these things are only supposed to be 300yen each so that's pretty good bang for your buck. Even if the joints could be stiffer and the head sculpts could be better.

Oh yeah, I believe they are made by Yujin, not too sure though. I could'nt find a name on the slip of paper but it does say SR Series and so I think it's Yujin.

I saw the shoulder covers from the last pics I posted. I haven't ordered any, I just found out about them. I'll still have to look for the best deal. Where did you get yours?

Anyone have an idea about the Briareos that comes with the box set?

EXO, they're from HK. The Briareos figure is pretty good his head looks better in person than pic, Duenans does look off, but for the price they are good. Because they're really just gashapons the joints are loose so posing takes time. Even though Yujin copied the microman design many things are lower quality to cut costs. The material is a softer plastic and the joints are looser.

If you're a fan you'll probably want these so you can have a squad of Kudoh and Priss, those two other guys, with Duenan and Briareos.

I'll be getting the figures from Diamond too but I'm sure they won't make the other two guys to go with them.

Edited by Quinn

• 2 weeks later...

Not that I hated it or want to position my opinion opposite of his, but he's (apparently) not a fan of the manga and (again only my impression by reading the review) didn't seem to be able to understand the dialog. I like the movie, but it's major weak points are not found in the visuals but in the plot, at least for me.

• 1 month later...

AICN has some new news about the North American release of Appleseed. Well...it's not really news, but it's the first time I've seen it mentioned in a while, so I'll post it anyway.

Geneon Confirms Appleseed and Tetsujin 28th Licenses

Geneon Entertainment, a division of Dentsu, Inc. has officially announced the worldwide rights (excluding Japan and Korea) of the new, CGI animated adaptation of Ghost in the Shell creator Masaume Shirow's Appleed from Micott & Basara.

The film employs a new "3D Live Anime" technology, utilzing motion capture animation techniques with three-dimensional computer animation, in conjunction with two-dimensional character animation to recreate the best qualities of traditional cel-based anime.

The creative team behind the innovative animation style includes director Aramaki and producer Fumihiko Sori, whose credits include CG animation work on Titanic and directing the international sleeper hit Ping Pong.

Set in the year 2131, after most of the world has been devastated by war, Appleseed chronicles the battle between mankind and bioroids, a race of cybernetic pseudo-clones designed to aid humans in domestic capacities. But when ideologies flare and aggression rises to the surface, the thin veneer of peaceful coexistence is shattered.

The North American theatrical distribution is tentatively scheduled for late Summer 2004, followed by a home video release. Appleseed marks the first film under the new Geneon Films umbrella; a division dedicated to marketing and distributing live action and other animated feature films from Japan and Asia, around the World.

Geneon also announced the North American and European rights for the new adaptation of Tetsujin 28th (aka Gigantor).

• 2 months later...

November 25th in Japan. (normal and Special editions) No idea for America. No mention about subs at Amazon, so I'm betting Japanese only. Still, since they have a translated version already available, it'd be cool if they decided to pack it all together... ah, who'm I fooling? :rolleyes:

We do get a commentary track though. Cool.

Edited by LePoseur

DVD? Heck, we still don't een have a date for the theatrical release. The newest article I could find still said "late summer" for the release. Guess what guys, it's late summer. I checked IMDB, and some guy was claiming that the theatrical release was now moved to January 14, 2005!

Edit: Geneon did have a newer trailer on their site, however. It's pretty long and has some footage that I don't remember seeing before.

Edited by bsu legato

• 3 months later...

Just finish watching my friend's R2 Appleseed.... :o All I can say is if you are a mecha fan, you owe it to yourself to watch this kickA$$ movie!! The action is incredible, the animation is amazing! (Even though it look like 99% of it is mo-cap) some of the coolest effects and the style is top notch :lol: I don't want to over hype it so I'll stop for now :p

Lotsa fun stuff here:

http://www.a-seed.jp/en.html

there is no .srt file for Appleseed The Movie so far. The one that's out there is for the old OAV. There was supposed to be a limited theatrical release by Geneon Animation in the fall of this year. Only thing i heard that resembled this was the premiere in the Boston Waterloo Convention.

To refresh my memory, I rewatched Manga's DVD in Japanese with subtitles. And I have to say that that's the only way I can watch, appreciate and enjoy it.

If you watch it Dubbed, you just get half the story with the other half full of cursing and swearing. However if you watch it in Japanese with subbs, it's (excuse the pun) hell of a lot better, story wise.

As for the new movie, I'll just wait for the offical North Americian DVD's.

Well I finally got to see it in it's non subbed version. Most of the beginning stays close to the book so I fairly knew what was going on. Minor differences such as Briarieos wasn't in the badlands with Deunan and he was white instead of black when he was in his human form.

I wasn't a big fan of the CG characters, I whish they would have gone 2D or live action. It really took away from the slower moments. But as soon as the mech action started it worked very well. The pacing of the movie is good. I'm glad it didn't try to rip Oshii's GitS "pondering the universe" pace. There's plenty of action and story that moves it along.

here's some screen caps I took:

post-25-1101924345.jpg

post-25-1101924329.jpg

Subs are up.

Appleseed_2004_Sub_English.zip

http://www.hongfire.com/forum/attachment.p...achmentid=15595

doesn't work... :( downloads a tiny zipped file...

This isn't the movie but the subs for the movie contained in *.srt files. Hongfire's Appleseed that was up last week didn't contain any subs. In order to pair up the srt with the movie I suggest using BSPlayer.

Unfortunately the subs are done pretty poorly. Anyone up for editing this?