Appleseed the Movie

Gunbuster

WDC, here's the correct link:

http://www.a-seed.jp/trailers/index.html

Enjoy.

Not the same trailer wakobi. This one's different.

This trailer is a pop-up on a media player. If you have a pop-up stopper..turn it off. Most likely this is the reason you're not seeing the player. Also it's a buffer video from Japan so expect the download to be slow and choppy.

This is a cross post from the Shirow thread, but actuall it fits better here, so anyhow...

>>>

Man, I'm getting pretty stoked about the Appleseed movie... less than a month to go. Picked up the prolog to Appleseed DVD with the Bri figure and the soundtrack this week. Both are cool (damn "Dive for You" is stuck on repeat in my head) but the prolog DVD is a little steep at 5,000 for a 35 min making of video. The fact that the figure is the same as the Yamato I already own (although with way better aticulation and a new paint job) doesn't help any. I also bougth the delux soundtrack that gives you the BGM and a bonus disc of a BBS video for Dive for You as well as the trailer that's on the web site. For Japan, at 5,000 yen that's not that bad, as the two CD would run about 6,000 if sold sepperately, but for America, $50 buck is way too much to spend on a soundtrack disc.

Anyhow, here's a BT link for the video, worth checking out if you haven't seen the trailers, even if you have.

Hmm... not liking the link... the [] in the name messes up the link. Oh well here's the cut and paste version, but besure to copy the whole thing, from http to .torrent

http://66.90.75.92/torrents/1460/[WGR]Appleseed_-_AMV_Trailer_-_Boom_Boom_Satellites_-_Dive_For_You(640x480_DivX5.1.1)-avi.torrent

A few more things,

The release date for here (Japan) is still April 19th.

The prolog fills in a lot of holes, but doesn't really give that much new footage. One weird thing is that they did motion capture on the faces, so the seiyuu's are actually providing the facial movements for the characters too. Deunan had three motion capture actresses, one for gymnastic stunts, one for regular combat and hand to hand, and finally the seiyuu for the face.

Minor spoilers ahead...

The fight with the red dudes is in Badlands and should be the begining of the movie. The Tank from the begining of the manga is also the one you see in the trailer. Look for fun with monofiliment during Deunan and Hitomi's car chase, but since the trailer already showed us Bri punching straight threw that baddie I guess we know how they meet their end.

Hmm, the sound track album also has a mini look behind the scenes put to music. It only runs about 5 mins so maybe someone will encode it and put a torrent up soon. That covers the car fight much better.

Any how, more as it comes up.

Edited by LePoseur

Hmm... not liking the link... the [] in the name messes up the link. Oh well here's the cut and paste version, but besure to copy the whole thing, from http to .torrent

The Torrent file doesn't seem to be working anymore (it did earler in the week). Anyone know where I can find this file? :blink:

*Head bangs while listening to Boom Boom Sattelites *

"I will dieeee for youuuuuu"

Apparently there's a 2nd Appleseed movie in the works by another studio already.

So that makes it 3 Appleseed movies to date.

I was just watching the CNN program NEXT. It featured Appleseed. I think this is the first time any anime has been shown on CNN.

I've seen the original Vanpire Hunter D along with a handful of anime dicussed(sp) on CNN Entertainment Review, and then there's Akira, and the Ghibli flicks...

Make that four. Animenewsnetwork just confirmed that the new CG Appleseed movie due in Japanese cinemas on April 16th is indeed the first movie of an Appleseed CG trilogy.

Whaddya think about that? ;)

Edited by wakobi

Make that four. Animenewsnetwork just confirmed that the new CG Appleseed indeed the first movie of an Appleseed CG trilogy.

Whaddya think about that? ;)

post-26-1081286709.gif

Well....one of the movies is way beyond the 4 manga novels already out. In terms of stoyline progression. And finally we get to know what IS the APPLESEED.

Appleseed seems to be Shirow's pet project and he's taking his sweet time with it, to try and not mess up with it.

i Can't believe i waited so long to see this trailer! I hope it's the old stories incorporated since some of those old mechs/landmates were the best ever.

I make customs and i can wait to see some full color versions of those landmates, as you can see, mine have been on the plain side, colorwise...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3185425454

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3284634523

Ouch! You'd think those were Canadian prices, or Yen even! :(

You'd be better off finding the older versions and repainting them.

hmmm... then I have to buy ball and socket joints + shipping + the time to convert the old figures to have poseablity. The older versions aren't that cheap yet either. I'll just keep looking. Seeing how they rereleased the other ones so many times, I'm better of sitting it out. :rolleyes: Sucks! <_<

You guys could just NOT order the toys... I mean they aren't that cool.

:angry:

just keep polishing your mirrors and your knobs, Agent Von Trapp!

:p:lol:

Dude if I am anyone in that god for saken movie, I'll be Rolf.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I saw the movie last night with my wife and some friends. Long story short, it's not bad, it won't make you rip your eyes out or make you join a mob in the streets demanding your money back like the old OVA did. There are still some things I didn't like though. Anyhow, I'll try to do a mostly spoiler-free review. ***But you will get at least one*** so if you don't want them don't keep reading, OK?

The movie starts out with Deunan and a team of soldiers fighting robots(?) and armored tanks out in Badland. This is a lot of the footage that has been in the video and trailers. Right a way they show how she's not normal as she manages to stay alive while the rest of the squad bites it early. Much like the manga, she is rescued from the tank by Hitomi (yet in a very different way) and after getting her on a ship for Olympus it's here that we learn they were looking for her with the aid of Briareos (who hasn't seen her since he left two years ago).

OK.. I guess that's all I'll say about the plot, since the above might be spoiler enough for some people.

Let's see... Good things: Mecha and character animation* (except the below), action scenes, the fact that they actually even try to deal with the content of the manga (unlike the OVA) and the music was good (even if it did need a little normalization to prevent it from drowning out all other noises.)

Bad things: The eyes! damn it the eyes! I really wish they'd have gone for motion capture bodies on hand-animated heads. Instead you get pretty cool faces (thanks to motion capture) and spotty eyes. Sometimes they are great, some time they just stare straight ahead.... oh and no one ever blinks.

#2 Changes and additions to the story. All in all the story wasn't bad, it's just that everything that was changed and/or added to the mangas story just didn't work for me. I could see where they were trying to go, but they just didn't make it work I thought. A lot of this is related to complaint #3 below, but some things (Like Bri and Deunan starting off as estranged ex-lovers) should have been made better. I would have traded one of the action sequences to see them patching things up better.

#3 I realize that most of the major story problems I have are due to fact that they tried to do too much in one movie. We all know that they are making 3 of them now, but as they were plotting this one they tried to put everything that fans would want to see in it. I mean you get elements from all four mangas blended into one story and some of the movie suffers for it, especially the end. I wish they would have made it with the foresight that they might make more and had the guts to leave things like the Spider Tanks out of it, or maybe just hint at them. Oh well.

#4 Hitomi.... Well, I'll just leave it at that.

There are also various physics grips, like Bri shouldn't float, he can't teleport so it's amazing that he always in the right place at the right time, and he should learn to use the door rather than just blowing holes in the wall as it's just plain rude.

But don't get me wrong, it's still worth a trip to the movies. Like I said to my wife, I like it better than any Star Wars movie we've seen together. I will be buying the DVD and going to see the next one as well. So, if they don't ruin the whole thing with a crappy English dub, you should go check it out when it comes.

Edited by LePoseur

Oh, OK, yeah, I guess I shouldn't have said never. You'll see what I mean when you watch it though. That being said, Deunan's eyes are the best, showing that they really did spend a lot of time on it. It's really in the minor, or background characters where it's more noticeable. Oddly I thought the Funny Old Men were visually much better than Hitomi was. Odd, but then again I could be my distaste for Hitomi in this film cloud my judgment.

Again, it's a pretty good film with some cool moments. I'm just a long-time Appleseed fan whose still not totally satisfied. Maybe next time they'll get it all right. (after more people have seen it I'll say what some of the changes that miffed me were. Until then I'm trying to stay spoiler-free.)

Edited by LePoseur

From the trailer, I expect it to be a movie packed with action. Gimme mecha action!!

And from the trailer it seems they at least left them spider tank bots, flying landmates etc in it. That's all I could ask for. :lol:

EXO: Those are the new Appleseed figures coming out. Better than those DVD+ figures I reckon.

Spider Tanks.... check (even though I think they should have saved them for the second one)

Flying Landmates.... check (same as above)

But the two best battle sceens are Deunan going hand to hand/close range with stuff. Even though he's almost always there to save the day, Bri just pales by comparison.