Appleseed the Movie

Gunbuster

I hope its a movie, and it looks like it will most likely be one...i haven't seen

the original one in forever, totally forgot what happened in it . :ph34r:

Hmmmm...can't be a mini series or sumthin' (?) :huh::blink:

There were some toys released (I think Toycom picked them up in the States) not that long ago (Bri, and Deunan in both the Gasium and Orc armor) that featured a dvd with a few minutes each of this as a teaser, but nothing much has been heard since. I've been waiting for news on this one myself for quite a while, and it's been depressingly slow in coming.

On a side note, while the movie's a great start, I'd really rather Shirow finally started working on Appleseed Book 5. I've been waiting for that one for what? 12 years now? (sigh). I just hope I don't need bifocals to read it by the time he gets around to it.

There were some toys released (I think Toycom picked them up in the States) not that long ago (Bri, and Deunan in both the Gasium and Orc armor) that featured a dvd with a few minutes each of this as a teaser, but nothing much has been heard since. I've been waiting for news on this one myself for quite a while, and it's been depressingly slow in coming.

On a side note, while the movie's a great start, I'd really rather Shirow finally started working on Appleseed Book 5. I've been waiting for that one for what? 12 years now? (sigh). I just hope I don't need bifocals to read it by the time he gets around to it.

I have those toys and the DVD's within them. The DVD's are so short and looped that they're not even worth mentioning. At San Diego Comic Con this past summer though they had a longer preview that lasted about 7-10 minutes. It looked a lot better this time around. But it still hasn't lost that video game smoothness that the CG characters had, even though it was motion captured. No word on the story yet, a least none that I know of. All the sites are mostly Japanese.

As far the books, I've already given up on them. While Shirow holds Deunan and Bri in high regards when it comes to his work, I think his interest have gone more to the cyberdelic action of Ghost in The Shell, rather than the urban gritty type that Appleseed was. I'm hoping really bad that I'm wrong though.

Doesn't much look like Masamune Shirou's style, does it....

Anyone know much about the story? Is it going to be based off the books, or is it another story set in the Appleseed universe?

All I remember about the old movie is it had the most cussing in any anime dub I've ever heard.

Did the original Japanese vocal cast curse as much as the English dub did?

Or was that just sucky dubbing?

• 3 weeks later...

Briareos is one of the three brothers who were together known as the Hecatoncheires (sp?), fifty headed, 100 armed giants. The other two brothers were Cottus and Guges (recognize that name from Appleseed?)....

Gaia, another name Shirow uses in Appleseed, was the mother of the Hecatoncheires (the name means hundred-handed). Their father was Uranus. The three brothers had a strong dislike for Uranus, and when he found out, Uranus shoved them back up Gaia's womb.

Now that's some heavy handed fisting served up by Uranus....

Er, did that just come out right??? I mean really that's how the myth went

:lol::lol::lol:

After watching the trailer i have to say the animation's improved along with character designs which were too CGI b4. But I don't like the redesign of the eight legged platforms.. It looks like a building with legs. The character with the high velocity fibers only showed up in Shirow hypernotes from Super Manga blast. The story about who had hired her did not get resolved since Shirow never got around to finishing up Appleseed 5

Thought I'd post images of their work in progress before the trailer came out.

Drew

AS1.jpg

AS2.jpg

AS3.jpg

Edited by Briareos

I had yet to see anything from this, and all this talk of CG made me a little worried. AFter seeingt his shots, I'm pretty relieved. While cell-shading still isn't as good as regular 2D animation, this loosk promising. Briaeos looks great, Deunan... doesn't look much liek Deunan though (glad to see they got her armor right though) and those ships don't look very Appleseed-y.

Definately looking forward to this though, I hope it holds up.

I'm just not much liking the art style in this one... mainly Deunan. She just looks way off....

I'll wait until I see it to hack it completely, but it's going to have to improve a bit before I say I like it....

The trailer link is on the page reported in the first post of this thread. The bottom left hand link.

http://www.a-seed.jp/

Very nice - I hadn't seen that yet. The animation and character designs (esp Deunan) look VERY much improved compared to what was shown on those preview dvds they packaged with those action figures. I was a little worried after seeing those as everything looked a little stiff and too CG - it reminded me more of Reboot than anime.

That trailer would seem to me to show that this project is back on track and looking good. This was always my favorite Shirow manga, and I'm really holding out hope that this is finally done justice (sorry - the old OVA was crap).

Anyone come across a downloadable version of this trailer?

You guys don't get it. The images I posted are of the prototype Duenan. The trailer version is much better. I can't get screen captures of the wmv file to post comparisons. You'll have to watch the trailer for yourselves.

Drew

Already seen it... but still not hugely impressed.

Like I said, I'll wait to see it before I get really upset about it.

Anyone come across a downloadable version of this trailer?

The movie trailer link itself is downloadable. If you're using windows media player 9, the player pops up and it starts to buffer in the movie. As it' buffering, click on File and then choose "Save Media As".

Already seen it... but still not hugely impressed.

The animation that came closest to Shirow would be the FMV sequence of the GITS game for the PS. Wouldn't you agree? His style of drawing is always evolving anyways so labeling something as shirowish or not isn't easy. One thing for sure, the GITS movies aren't shirowish at all in art. I abhor them.

Just saw the trailer...............

I must say i'm very impressed by this. Love the slick animation and the character designs didn't grate on me as I expected them to. If the trailer is anything to go by the action sequences should be absolutely awesome and that part where Deunan dives off the building looks breathtaking. Love that music too. I just hope there's a decent plot and a bit of characterisation in amongst all that style! :) I'm sure it'll be fine, i have (blind) faith! :D

2004 is a good year to be a Shirow fan! :)

Does anybody not like where this anime style is going. First I must engender the question, is FF:Spirits within and FF:Advent Children anime? When the CG has such heavy emphasis on the style, it just looks like XIII or sumthin. This CG makes everything too perfect and creates a whole new genre of animation. IMO, the imperfection and accuracy of anime is an art of itself (i.e. that anime in kill bill; especially when her father is fighting). I have no problem with cg movies, but i don't like how they are watering-down the anime style in modern anime. I'll agree the cg in yukikaze dosn' look half bad, but when it cuts into the actual characters as they are in Appleseed, it looks more like some FF cutscene, and not anime at all.