Tribute to the DYRL Toho Dub

HannouHeiki

I'm finally getting to enjoy the DYRL BD release. It got me thinking about all the various versions I've owned throughout the years. A bootleg VHS, a bootleg DVD, a nice fx bootleg DVD, an official DVD, then an HD Remaster DVD, and now Blue Ray. I'm sure many of you have a stack of DYRLs. Some of you probably an LD in that stack. An then we'll probably get the unrated DYRL edition Blue Ray, complete with decapitation and head stomping.

What, you thought this was the last copy of DYRL you'd get?!?!!??

Anyway, it got me thinking about the first DYRL I had in my stack, a bootleg of the Toho dub. This was my only copy for about 5 years. I've forgotten about it for the past several years because I've had the pleasure of enjoying so many great fansub versions. Now I've gotten a little nostalgic about this horrible dub and found a great youtube clip showcasing some "best of" moments.

It even has some MST3K style captions to go along with it. If it has been awhile since you reminisced about a man and a woman, micro-humans, sam-puls, and what you would like to order, check it out for some laughs.

Edited by OptimusX

Amazing! I had not heard that dub in decades and I still remember all the voices and phrases.

I remember renting Clash from Blockbuster. At the end, when Bodolza ship is destroyed, it was cut and the Hikaru scene was omitted.

I thought he was dead because of the blast. After the defeat of Bodolza, Misa and Claudia look at each other in apparent sadness. I really thought Hikaru died. Then Minmay and Misa smile at each other and I said What the f..ck? Nice Kamikaxe Macross ending hahaha.

Edited by takatoys

Amazing! I had not heard that dub in decades and I still remember all the voices and phrases.

I remember renting Clash from Blockbuster. At the end, when Bodolza ship is destroyed, it was cut and the Hikaru scene is omitted.

I thought he was dead because of the blast. After the defeat of Bodolza, Misa and Claudia look at each other in apparent sadness. I really thought Hikaru died. Then Minmay and Misa smile at each other and I said What the f..ck? Nice Kamikaxe Macross ending hahaha.

DUDE!!! Same with me, I went YEARS thinking he was dead too.

Has anyone taken the dub and put it to the new remastered HD video?

(waits for member to throw beer cans at me)

Follow the link to the video. In the description there is a link to the entire audio of the movie for download. You can then use mkvtoolnix to mux the audio to a new movie file.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtthuOBGUQY

Edited by OptimusX

• 2 weeks later...

"Just watch jet jockey in action!" :D

For those who are wanting a more tollerable English dub of DYRL (at least most of the main characters anyway) check out the one below...

(Check out Hikuo's version below!)

Edited by Apollo Leader

For those with usenet access, I've uploaded the 720p rip.

Here is the nzb file:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ajd0wmsrz17v0qv

For those who just need the audio, there are 2 versions of the

English dub with JPN & ENG lyrics when Minmay sings accapella

at 51:30. Here are the two synced ac3 files.

Eng dub w/ Jpn lyrics http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?b7xkwt71zk8277e

Eng dub w/ Eng lyrics http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?e75xo4r5bb9zlc1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much!

I'm a bit of a newbie, I have the DYRL BD, I know how to rip it, but how do I combine your AC3 file with it? Does it stay in sync all the way to the end? or do I have to do something with it?

Thanks so much - my daughter was interested when I was watching my BD, this would make it easily accessible for her. Extra special since this is the version I remember as a kid!

blessedly, i have never had to endure an edited DYRL, though, like so many others, the TOHO dub was my first introduction to the film,

by way of the late-'90s BEST VIDEO VHS release.

that copy, which i still have, was recently superseded three-odd years back by a good quality HK boot DVD

with excellent subbing. just to commemorate, i made myself a dub-down to S-VHS;

DYRLJOHN10-16-12.jpg

For those who are wanting a more tollerable English dub of DYRL (at least most of the main characters anyway) check out the one below...

http://youtu.be/BiZ6OJMOUoI

Oh god pull that please. The guy who posted that stole that from me and has been a total dick about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwJjrWhYv3g&feature=share&list=UUvYdjXAF9BCF6Z1kSGmFCOA this one is much better version of it, without the subtitle timing being terribly off.

Great job Hikuro!

Would you have just the audio timed to the BluRay release so I can rip my own copy (at 1080p) from my BD? (for my own viewing of course - and my daughter!)

Great job Hikuro!

Would you have just the audio timed to the BluRay release so I can rip my own copy (at 1080p) from my BD? (for my own viewing of course - and my daughter!)

Yeah I just had to retime the 2.0 dub to the blu ray, wasn't to hard, have fun with it.

• 2 weeks later...

blessedly, i have never had to endure an edited DYRL, though, like so many others, the TOHO dub was my first introduction to the film,

by way of the late-'90s BEST VIDEO VHS release.

that copy, which i still have, was recently superseded three-odd years back by a good quality HK boot DVD

with excellent subbing. just to commemorate, i made myself a dub-down to S-VHS;

DYRLJOHN10-16-12.jpg

That hand labeled VHS just brought me back.

(( during the rings of SATURN, SUPER OSTRICH ZENTRAN "Kidnapping" scene ))

FOCKER; Heyy, HIKARUUU!!

HIKARU; A MAN!!

ME; -LOLZ!!-

That hand labeled VHS just brought me back.

yep, an original 1987/'88 JVC S-VHS cassette, identical to the one supplied

with my '88 JVC HR-S8000U VCR when new;

MACROSSDYRLS-VHSDUB10-29-121.jpg

MACROSSDYRLS-VHSDUB10-29-122.jpg

MACROSSDYRLS-VHSDUB10-29-124.jpg

MACROSSDYRLS-VHSDUB10-29-123.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://youtu.be/BiZ6OJMOUoI

Yeah, decent quality fan-dub but it totally doesn't fit Macross. WTF is up with Roy? I didn't know he was some burly trucker...

The 80's international Dub is so bad, it's good. I still prefer it over even the original Japanese, even after having studied and becoming fluent in Japanese. Roy's voice actor is genius and totally pulls off a convincing Roy, and no I'm not joking lol

Seriously, how can you top "Just watch jet jockey in Action!" or "deploy and Form the suit!"

Who remembers trying to pause to get that one frame of Hikaru's VF-1s right when he blasts Boldoza in the "Clash of the Bionoids" cut?

Edited by Duymon

Yeah, decent quality fan-dub but it totally doesn't fit Macross. WTF is up with Roy? I didn't know he was some burly trucker...

The 80's international Dub is so bad, it's good. I still prefer it over even the original Japanese, even after having studied and becoming fluent in Japanese. Roy's voice actor is genius and totally pulls off a convincing Roy, and no I'm not joking lol

Seriously, how can you top "Just watch jet jockey in Action!" or "deploy and Form the suit!"

Who remembers trying to pause to get that one frame of Hikaru's VF-1s right when he blasts Boldoza in the "Clash of the Bionoids" cut?

Decent Quality? Hope you mean video wise, cause once again, That's not my video. And if you mean decent quality as a fandub, wanna show me one that's better?

I mean to stay on topic of the Toho dub I getthere's a semi cult nature to it, but by god it's still a horrible dub that gives me headaches.