• 2 weeks later...

People are being too critical about this movie. They should know very well that it's a typical Schwarzenegger film, where you simply check your brain at the door and enjoy all the action and one-liners - regardless of how bad the script is. The Last Stand obviously isn't True Lies material, but I expect it to be at least as entertaining as Eraser.

Even some renowned critics love the film. Richard Roeper gave it 3 out of 4 stars on his review and said: "If you've got violent-movie fatigue, and you're too exhausted from real-life carnage on the news to enjoy an R-rated blood-fest in which a number of kills are executed as deliberately funny visual punchlines, you do not want to go anywhere near this film. But if you're a fan of stylish, relentlessly loud shootouts, questionable plot developments be damned, this is your ticket to weekend escapism."

As for the movie flopping at the box office, it just opened at a rather bad time when international markets are flooded with moviegoers wanting to see Les Misérables while Zero Dark Thirty is still dominating the U.S. box office. Once the ticket sales of those two movies begin to die down, The Last Stand will at least have a chance to break even with its US$45 million budget.

People are being too critical about this movie. They should know very well that it's a typical Schwarzenegger film, where you simply check your brain at the door and enjoy all the action and one-liners - regardless of how bad the script is.

I agree with you 'Seven but I think we come from an era where mindless, action/explosion-based movies were acceptable and even considered cool. These days, people are always expecting a Shawshank Redemption level of depth and feeling from stories, in addition to the cinematography and other production values...

These days, people are always expecting a Shawshank Redemption level of depth and feeling from stories, in addition to the cinematography and other production values...

Have to disagree, as proof I point to the Transformers movies (I really do not need to say any more do I?)

These days, people are always expecting a Shawshank Redemption level of depth and feeling from stories, in addition to the cinematography and other production values...

Nah. People these days expect action movies to be like The Bourne Identity, with their cerebral plot twists and equally nauseating camera work to hide imperfections in the special effects or fight choreography (or to simply piss off viewers). Or maybe something like The Fast and the Furious films, with their flashy colors and equally annoying choice of background music plus whatever CG effects they can throw in.

• 4 months later...

Just saw the movie last night, although I'm happy I waited to rent it on Netflix it was a solid B movie. All the FX could have been done old school (not saying they were, just that none of them were so over the top that they could not have been done with traditional methods). The plot, acting, and dialog were solid B movie fare and it never seemed to drag.

So I recommend it as a rental. (if one were to actually break down the plot it would make no sense at all - just go with the flow)

one thing I have to mention

No WAY IN HELL those two cars could be moving that fast through a cornfield, I've walked through quite a few over the years and they all have ruts and bumps in them that would have destroyed both cards in seconds.

WAY better than expected! I was worried Arnold would look weak, and I don't ever want to see him like that. He was still the terminator. Totally awesome.

Check out this deleted scene... Still in shape: