only thing wrong with that graphic is that Namor was re-aquired by marvel at the same time Hulk was, and last I checked the rights to man-thing had also lapsed.

Thanks for pointing that out. Good to know some rights revolved back to Marvel but I guess that one company owning all movie rights is a pipe dream since big money is involved now...

Yeah there's also been older speculation that Fox will try to link FF with the x-men.

I really wish Marvel had the movie rights to all of their properties because they could do so much better with them than what we've gotten so far.

Yeah there's also been older speculation that Fox will try to link FF with the x-men.

I really wish Marvel had the movie rights to all of their properties because they could do so much better with them than what we've gotten so far.

Yeah, I remember reading something about the studio wanting to link Fantastic Four with X-Men, and that would actually be pretty cool if done right. There is history between the two franchises in the comics that could be explored.

And agree, if Marvel had all their properties in-house my head would explode from the collective awesomeness. Instead it's A-grade with Marvel/Disney and B/C-grade with everyone else.

-b.

• 3 weeks later...

Easily the best X-Men film ever made (even better than First Class). Despite deviating heavily from the original comic book storyline, Days of Future Past shines with stellar performances by Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, and Jennifer Lawrence. Quicksilver was a riot!

And who would've thought that

JFK was a Mutant? Magneto is innocent - it was The Comedian all along.

Don't do it!!!! LOL.

You want to be surprised, just hold onto your patience.

-b.

No, I really don't care. Or the real surprise will be if the reviews are accurate this time around as First Class was largely praised and I did not agree.

Edited by Mommar

Ok, related question---is the after-credit scene worth it? (as in, is it at the VERY end of like a 20-min credit sequence like some movies do, or is it more like after the first "batch" of credits and you don't have to wait FOREVER to see it?)

No need, as Wikipedia has done that for us.

Interesting read. I didn't quite skim all the way to the bottom and accidentally found out what the final scene before the post credits was too. Good.

Edited by Mommar

Glad you got your answer Mommar, speaking only for myself I sometimes get disappointed after I spoil something because I just have to know - so I was trying to be helpful in my own way.

My skepticism of Bryan Singer (based off of his previous works) had me lukewarm for this one, but I think I will check it out in theaters sometime over the long holiday weekend.

I liked First Class, but to say that it was the best X-Men movie is hardly that high of praise because I hated the others so much. If A7 says this one is better or at the very least "good" then I'll give it a chance.

-b.

Just got back from watching the film. It was pretty solid and enjoyable.

There's things you can definitely nitpick, but I liked it enough.

A few spoilery observations:

* Thank God! They basically hit the reset button on all the crap that happened in X3!! If there's one thing that pleased me more than anything else, it was seeing all the crud from that film being essentially undone. I had heard about the Beast spoiler, but was happy to see Jean and Scott back at the end as well.

* You gotta feel for the younger generation of X-Men, they get killed TWICE in this film. Those were some pretty eff'ed up deaths they were handed, especially Colossus' and Iceman's.

* But seriously, Bishop couldn't have blasted at least one Sentinel with all the energy they were firing at him?! That was a pretty punk way for him to die.

* Quicksilver steals almost every scene he is in.

* Silly Wolverine, trying to cut a Sentinel with your measely bone claws.

* Found it amusing that Anna Paquin had higher billing than some of the other folks, even though she only appeared for less than 30 seconds.

* I'm curious to see what the deleted scenes were in this film.

Ok, related question---is the after-credit scene worth it? (as in, is it at the VERY end of like a 20-min credit sequence like some movies do, or is it more like after the first "batch" of credits and you don't have to wait FOREVER to see it?)

Unfortunately, it's at the absolute bloody end of the credits.

For the curious, most comic-book fans can figure out who's in the after-credit scenes. But here's a hint (and something you might miss if you're not paying attention): it involves. . .

horses. Four to be exact. ;)

Lastly, I've always considered X2 to be the best of the X-Men films. That awesome opening scene, Wolvie truly cutting loose at the X-mansion (first time in any film where they showed Wolverine to be a hard-ass killer), all the little "burning bird" references. It's easily one of the rare films where the sequel exceeds in all ways the original film.

I liked First Class, but I still consider X2 to be the better film.

Damn I just got back from my showing, I absolutely loved it, definitely my favorite X-Men film now replacing X2. I must say, Singer is back in form, this was a great film, there was a lot to cover, and a pretty ridiculous story to tell, but I believe he pulled it off. I didn't feel anything dragged on, the pace was excellent, and surprise surprise, I loved Quicksilver. Note to anyone going to see it, stay after the credits, there is definitely a tasty little scene teasing the events to come.

Mog, you nailed everything we were talking about after walking out last night.

Bishops death had me and my buddy rolling our eyes. The gun thing was dumb too.

Paquins billing pissed me off to be honest. She's still a moderate nobody unless she's showing her tits in True Blood. Peter Dinklage at the very least should have been before her. Stupid.

We also love that it retconned all of X3.

Don't necessarily like that they killed off Emma Frost with no more than a mention and in the part of the timeline that couldn't be changed.

Mystique posing as Stryker was interesting too.

The after credits scene was worth the wait, especially if you know what it means.

Fantastic movie overall. Very well done. Can't wait for AoP.

It took 14 years, but now I have my X-Men trilogy :)

Days of Future Past is an amazing film. Easily the equal - if not the better - of X2, which IMO was the strongest of the X-films until now. It's great to actually watch an X-Men film where I care about the characters again, which has been the horrible flaw in most of the many sequels and spin offs. The action sequences are also very inspired, reminding me of the opening to X2 with Nightcrawler. Watching Quicksilver in action in one of the great signature action scenes of the movie was a real treat. The Sentinels were horrifying. I can't recall the last time I was so truly moritfied by a real robotic nightmare as is shown in this film. Possibly not since the first Matrix movie. The number of terrifying deaths in this film is truly unsettling and it's been a while since a super hero film has managed to evoke some real despair through story. Special effects were top notch and there are plenty of really great moments where the mutants get to shine.

I have to say I particularly appreciated the script for DofP. This film managed to successfully merge the two generations of X-Men casts together into a compelling narrative that allowed so many of the characters to have legitimate dramatic arcs. The love triangle between Raven, Charles and Eric was particularly well done. For such a huge cast (literally two full ensembles) this was no small task. Then on top of all that great work, the script organically leads into an uncertain future with the new cast without the finale feeling the least bit forced to produce the obligatory sequels (despite the audience knowing they are likely). The only problem is that sometimes the scrip creates plot holes in service of a dramatic opportunity, each of which was well worth the logic fault. And naturally, the themes of intolerance and discrimination are as ever-present in this third film as they were with Singer's first two X-movies. The themes remains relevant even more since those first two movies.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't say I adored the big "FU" this film gave to X-Men 3. It knows how much the fans hated that third film and it's so vindicating to watch it masterfully undone by a great flick like this. Singer clearly still has it and I'm so glad to see him back in control of a film that I connect with. I find it hilarious the only scene of nudity was Jackman's bare ass, of which I'm sure a man like Singer delighted in the norm-twisting irony :)

I'd rate this film a good 4.5 out of 5. This is the third X-Film I've wanted since X2. FIrst Class came close, but for my money this is the one that struck gold. X-Men Days of Future Past manages to do well what the first two X-Men films did; act as an entertaining super hero action film filled with legitimately compelling dramactic characters acted by a cast bringing their A-game to the production. One of my favorite films of the year.

There is an article on IGN about why it's actually a good thing Marvel does not have these properties. Basically the gist was if Marvel Studios had Spider-Man and X-Men they wouldn't take the chances on other lesser characters like Thor or Guardians of the Galaxy. Yes I would love it too but honestly I like that Marvel is digging in to their catalog to bring to life characters that otherwise wouldn't be touched since all they would have to do is Spidey or/and Mutants. Also it's because these properties were handled so poorly that forced Marvel to try something with Iron Man, to do it right. On the other spectrum Marvel is forcing the other companies to make better movies or rather bigger universes. Granted it hurt ASM2 but it helped X-Men correct itself. So if this is the path we are getting with X-Men I'm happy. Sony needs to stop killing Spider-Man though. It's like the film franchise since Spider-Man 2 is getting hit with the Parker luck. (Actually I think ASM1 was amazing)