Otakon 2012 - come and meet Hidetaka Tenjin THIS WEEKEND!

Anything you want to know about Macross? Want to ask the staff of Satelight or even met the man himself, Hidetaka Tenjin?

Then dont forget to drop by Otakon this weekend for a once in a lifetime opportunity!!!!

FRIDAY, July 27

-Hidetaka Tenjin Q&A: 11:15-12:15 (Panel 1)

-Hidetaka Tenjin Signing: 15:00-16:00 (Autograph 1)

SATURDAY, July 28

-Satelight - An Introduction: 10:30-11:30 (Panel 5)

-Hidetaka Tenjin Signing: 14:00-15:00 (Autograph 1)

For more details on scheduling, go to http://www.otakon.com/

The line for the second signing was enormous, so unfortunately I didn't get to go. I did however manage to pick up a copy of Kazutaka Miyatake's Macross & Orguss Design Works in the merchandise dealer room.

I also saw Yamato VF-1Js, SV-51s, and a Fire Valkyrie there, but didn't want to go too far past my self-imposed budget for the trip. Oh well, there's always next year.

So, here's my Otakon 2012 Tenjin story:

I'm the Co-Head of the Panels Department for Otakon. So, Saturday morning, I'm sitting in Panel Ops along with my wife and daughter (who was cosplaying Ranka) and I look over and see Tenjin san standing there. I then realize that his handler is tapping my wife on the shoulder and asking if they can take a pic of her. I quickly ran around to the other side and got this pic...

post-78-0-99855900-1343751929_thumb.jpg

Awesome to say the least that he wanted a pic of my kid cosplaying Ranka!

Later that day, I got to his autograph session and got this one...

post-78-0-36045100-1343752397_thumb.jpg

I asked his translator why there was a single Spitfire pic in the first Valkyries book, to which Tenjin replied that every pic in that book has a meaning Macross-wise. Now I want to go back and look at it again.

He was very outgoing, spoke a little English even. And shook everybody's hand after their autograph. Not just the offhand kinda thing, but the handshake where he sandwiches your hand between both of his. All in all, a very nice guy.

Sigh. I always miss the awesome macross guys at Otakon. too busy working Otakon and never pay attention to who actually shows up. But I hope we can pull the right strings and get Kawamori for next year.

Edited by Solscud007