Macross Models & Toys In Japan, Tokyo, Akihabara

DJ Loe Kee

I live In Seoul, Korea and after having flown over Japan once on my way to Korea and having 3 layovers in Narita Airport on my way back to the states or on my way back to Korea and never getting a chance to leave the airport; I am finally going to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and then Taipei, Taiwan for vacation (I've already done China, Thailand, Vietnam but not Hong Kong). My friend in my Korean language class told me that Akihabara has all of the anime toys and models. But then he told that they are still expensive in Japan and showed me a picture with the price in Yen to show me how many hundreds of dollars a Sephiroth figurine from Final Fantasy VII costs there.

So, my basic question is can I buy a Yamato Macross transformable toy for Max Jenius at a cheaper price than I could buy from an online store and have it shipped to the states (or Korea).

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: if you know where to look (off the beaten path), have the time to look (you may have to go through numerous stores) and you're in luck (the toy is out of print, no?), then you can.

That said, it's always cheaper to have something shipped from Japan to Korean than it is from Japan to North America. Nevermind that it's much faster and handled with a bit more care, too.

You have to look for your item in several stores, and of course don't hesitate to ask to vendors. Even in big stores you can find great deals (particulary if they have a "used stuff" floor).

To give you an example, i found a Shin Musha Gundam from Gundam Fix Figuration toy line at 1900JPY instead of 4000JPY.

Best advice is: take your time, look everywhere, you will eventually find what you want at a good price.

I was going to be in Tokyo from Fri. Aug. 3rd (I'm leaving after my last summer camp class is done for the day) - Sun. Aug. 5th, Kyoto from Sun. Aug 5th and Osaka Sun. Aug 5th - Wed. Aug. 8th. But I have a feeling I might stay in Tokyo longer on Sunday, skip Kyoto on Sunday and go back to Kyoto on another day. I've already booked my flights and hostels in Tokyo, Osaka & Taipei and I leave for Taipei on Thur. Aug 9th.