YF-29: 30 Anniversary Version "VF-1S Scheme"

ff95gj

I believe you should show off more of that collection Spot.

I need to clear out some space first, to show them all in their full glory.

Wow!! Does your Roy have sight issues? ;)

Hipster Roy was sporting enhanced sensors before elint variants became mainstream. :)

post-18604-0-46455700-1370770694_thumb.jpg

I haven't transformed my YF-29 to battroid because that head transformation is always a pain to reverse. Takes me almost as long to force the head back in for fighter mode as the rest of the transformation combined.

Hey saito, heres the pic I promised you

Awesome! Thanks for the follow up!

My NY shipping is taking forever to arrive. >_<

Doesn't look bad with the dark gray parts (though not as good as the white pods on Alto's packs looked). I picked up a second set to customize, so I might just strip all the paint off of them and leave them plain white.

I concur. The gunmetal really blends well with it, too bad about the yellow parts.

I might try the same thing, as I ended up ordering a 2nd set to go with my Alto version (beats paying the insane price his super pack is going for).

So, interesting discovery. As I went to start stripping the yellow paint off one set of the super packs, I did a little disassembly, just to make things easier. The wingtip fins snap in and out pretty easily, just don't force them.

I do that, and surprise, surprise... turns out that the gunmetal wing pods are not entirely molded in that color plastic. The bottom half is white.

So. If you're going to be stripping paint off, be careful.. the black will possibly come off the bottom half and leave you with a half-white pod. :p

I got mine in finally today. The post office didn't leave one of those pink signature slips so that held up delivery. Hopefully I'll be able to take some pics this week using an actual camera instead of my phone.

So, interesting discovery. As I went to start stripping the yellow paint off one set of the super packs, I did a little disassembly, just to make things easier. The wingtip fins snap in and out pretty easily, just don't force them.

I do that, and surprise, surprise... turns out that the gunmetal wing pods are not entirely molded in that color plastic. The bottom half is white.

So. If you're going to be stripping paint off, be careful.. the black will possibly come off the bottom half and leave you with a half-white pod. :p

I personally think the only parts that need to be white for it to match the Alto version would be the yellow area behind the wings. The other areas (the ring around the thruster, the harpoon tip are fine)

Was thinking if I can just mask and colour it over or something ahhaha (I'm a total noob at this)

Well, I went for the full removal option for now. I just took off all the stripes on the wings, including the yellow and black. I wouldn't have minded if the black stayed, but it was too hard to protect it while I scrubbed away the yellow. I can always mask and repaint it.

Anyway, if you go to remove those stripes, you'll have to mask off the wingtip pods. Mine lost a tiny bit of paint under the edge of the tape, and it's white underneath. Nothing bad, I can touch it up with black and it'll be fine. I'll also need to repaint the lights on the tips of the wingtip tails, since those were right over the top of more of that yellow. :p

The annoying thing is de-panel-lining it now, because that yellow really sticks in there. I'm gonna have to scribe over a bunch of lines to get the yellow out of them, and even then the plastic is tinted with it. I might give everything a light sanding to remove that.

Got one wing done, will start on the other tomorrow. You're right, it doesn't look bad leaving a tiny bit of the yellow, since even Alto's plane has some yellow details on it.

Edited by Chronocidal

So, took a bit of rubbing with Tamiya thinner (alcohol might have been better, but it worked), but it's mostly done. :) Debating whether to remove the stripes from the shield too, but it's taken a bit of work to get the yellow off the plastic.

Say what you will about Bandai's painting, but they really managed to layer a ton of yellow on this thing. It took some sanding and scraping to get the yellow tint off the plastic, it had stained it yellow pretty heavily.

Looks really nice with the white wings though, and the yellow bits don't clash since Alto's actually has a few yellow markings on it.

post-907-0-17776800-1371102985_thumb.jpg

I just got mine from NY today and I noticed something that scared me at first. As I was checking to make sure I wasn't missing anything (ie: extra hands, knife, gun, etc) I didn't see a pilot and my heart stopped. As I was about to panic I noticed the pilot was already placed inside the cockpit. Has anybody else experienced this? The box was fully sealed before I opened it so should I be worried that this could have been a used toy and then repackaged?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 30th anni SP on my alto and i think it looks good, i didn't like alt's SP as they were too red/white. The yellow gives a good contrast as a whole. If I were to rub out the yellow I would paint it black rather than red.