YF-29: 30 Anniversary Version "VF-1S Scheme"

ff95gj

Yeah, we're pretty much completely on our own with replacement parts, even moreso than with Yamato. Apparently, Bandai's policy with replacing parts is "Send us the whole thing and we'll give you a new one. At your expense."

Been over 6 months since I requested a replacement crotch plate for my VF-25G, and still no response. I get the feeling Bandai just told NY to go suck a tailpipe when I requested just the part instead of shipping the whole thing back to Japan.

That is common operating procedure for NY. I've had 2 incidents of damaged product that they simply never responded to my emails about it.

That is common operating procedure for NY. I've had 2 incidents of damaged product that they simply never responded to my emails about it.

Actually, no, I had good communication with NY. We talked back and forth about the missing piece, and I was able to look up the kanji for the part name for them to send Bandai. Sent them a picture with the missing piece highlighted too.

I think somewhere along the line, Bandai said "Screw you, we don't send out spare parts" and the communication just died.

Bottom line, I'm not going to pay enough shipping to buy the item again, just to get the maybe $1 worth of plastic their factory forgot. I'll just buy another one when they reissue it, and hope that one is complete. <_<

I can shapeways it if I have to, it's just annoying. Given how many people have had the same happen, I think it's worthwhile.

Edited by Chronocidal

saw in NY, yf-29 has 30th and 30th(reissued) and they have a price difference of about 50usd, anyone know why price difference?

I'm pretty familiar with e-commerce, buying/selling, working with distys and vendors, etc from helping run a small systems integrator business here in CA so I think I might be able to explain a little of what's going on.

Keep in mind I'm not saying this is exactly how it is but it is an educated guess on my part so here goes.

NY purchases from the regular distribution channels like every other toy reseller/e-tailer out there. Bandai allots them a number of stock for their preorders (probably through their distributors as I doubt Bandai sells direct to any e-tailer). People need to realize that they are NOT Bandai's customers. Bandai's customers are the e-tailers and brick & mortar stores that sell their toys to you. Probably even one removed from that...Bandai sells to the toy distributors out there who in turn sell to the e-tailers and brick & mortars.

So on preorders, if you check all of the toy websites out there like HLJ, NY, Amiami...their prices are all within the same range on that initial preorder period (ignoring any 5%, 10%, 15%, etc discounts they may offer). Once all of the preorders run out, that's it unless Bandai increases their scheduled production numbers and adds more units into the market. Once something is sold out, most resellers like HLJ, Amiami, etc don't offer any more units for sale. They cannot get more stock from their distributors so the preorder is SOLD OUT.

NY however operates a little differently. They have this initial preorder period where their prices are usually all in line with the other e-tailers out there. Stock is obtained through the regular distribution channels same as every place else. However, after they run out, they don't stop there like HLJ or Amiami.

Once NY runs out of their initial stock, they go to the grey market to obtain additional stock. This grey market is perfectly legal but is not an authorized channel like going through the normal toy distributors. This grey market can exist between retailer to retailer, especially if they are a small mom & pop type store. Basically there is nothing in the rules that say NY cannot purchase additional stock from sources outside of their distributor(s). Any store can do this.

What basically happens is NY's buyers make calls to other stores and buy up their stock if they are offering it. Or they send a guy out to the local brick and mortar stores and buy up stock in person if that is an option. Hell, they can purchase from a broker if one exists. This makes the price go up since these stores are likely not going to sell to NY at their cost (the cost they purchased from their distributors). Those stores that are selling to NY are going to make a profit off their stock one way or another so they may sell to NY at whatever price they want to offer and NY can take it or leave it. You can call it a finders fee or whatever, but NY in turn marks up the price on the stock they obtained in the grey market in order to make a profit themselves. Basically this cost is passed onto their customers.

The two prices you are seeing is a result of this grey market. The two product pages are likely the result of purchasing the stock from two different stores/sources in the grey market and the different prices (one being higher at about $50 more) are a reflection of that.

Now NY can sell that $258.91 unit at a loss if they want but that is unlikely given the fact that these are highly sought after collectables that will sell in the long run. It may sit in stock for a long time but there will (may) be a customer who is willing to pay that higher price. For now, they'll sell out of the lower priced stock but once that is gone, there will be no choice but to purchase the units at $258.91 or they mark it up again.

Just buy the lower priced one for now if you are looking for one. The Valks are physically the same in every way though. Where they are sourced from is a different story entirely.

Edited by xrentonx

wow, thanks for your detail explanation :)

i thought the older version ( more expensive) and the reissued version ( cheaper ) has something different, but from photo and the internet source, they seems to be the same. :) seems like they are very honest in their pricing, i think normally ppl would expect they just price it the same ( price it higher among the two)

I'm pretty familiar with e-commerce, buying/selling, working with distys and vendors, etc from helping run a small systems integrator business here in CA so I think I might be able to explain a little of what's going on.

Keep in mind I'm not saying this is exactly how it is but it is an educated guess on my part so here goes.

NY purchases from the regular distribution channels like every other toy reseller/e-tailer out there. Bandai allots them a number of stock for their preorders (probably through their distributors as I doubt Bandai sells direct to any e-tailer). People need to realize that they are NOT Bandai's customers. Bandai's customers are the e-tailers and brick & mortar stores that sell their toys to you. Probably even one removed from that...Bandai sells to the toy distributors out there who in turn sell to the e-tailers and brick & mortars.

So on preorders, if you check all of the toy websites out there like HLJ, NY, Amiami...their prices are all within the same range on that initial preorder period (ignoring any 5%, 10%, 15%, etc discounts they may offer). Once all of the preorders run out, that's it unless Bandai increases their scheduled production numbers and adds more units into the market. Once something is sold out, most resellers like HLJ, Amiami, etc don't offer any more units for sale. They cannot get more stock from their distributors so the preorder is SOLD OUT.

NY however operates a little differently. They have this initial preorder period where their prices are usually all in line with the other e-tailers out there. Stock is obtained through the regular distribution channels same as every place else. However, after they run out, they don't stop there like HLJ or Amiami.

Once NY runs out of their initial stock, they go to the grey market to obtain additional stock. This grey market is perfectly legal but is not an authorized channel like going through the normal toy distributors. This grey market can exist between retailer to retailer, especially if they are a small mom & pop type store. Basically there is nothing in the rules that say NY cannot purchase additional stock from sources outside of their distributor(s). Any store can do this.

What basically happens is NY's buyers make calls to other stores and buy up their stock if they are offering it. Or they send a guy out to the local brick and mortar stores and buy up stock in person if that is an option. Hell, they can purchase from a broker if one exists. This makes the price go up since these stores are likely not going to sell to NY at their cost (the cost they purchased from their distributors). Those stores that are selling to NY are going to make a profit off their stock one way or another so they may sell to NY at whatever price they want to offer and NY can take it or leave it. You can call it a finders fee or whatever, but NY in turn marks up the price on the stock they obtained in the grey market in order to make a profit themselves. Basically this cost is passed onto their customers.

The two prices you are seeing is a result of this grey market. The two product pages are likely the result of purchasing the stock from two different stores/sources in the grey market and the different prices (one being higher at about $50 more) are a reflection of that.

Now NY can sell that $258.91 unit at a loss if they want but that is unlikely given the fact that these are highly sought after collectables that will sell in the long run. It may sit in stock for a long time but there will (may) be a customer who is willing to pay that higher price. For now, they'll sell out of the lower priced stock but once that is gone, there will be no choice but to purchase the units at $258.91 or they mark it up again.

Just buy the lower priced one for now if you are looking for one. The Valks are physically the same in every way though. Where they are sourced from is a different story entirely.

Yay! A long last my 30th Anniv. YF-29 has arrived! No missing parts or bent antenna either. Love it!

One thing, though, after all the pictures that people have posted I never noticed that the wing engines are a totally different color of black. While the airframe detail/stripes are a very dark grey/black, the wing engines are more of a gun metal that have kind of a brownish hue to them. Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I must have missed it.

Chris

Think they've always been that way. The "black" isn't black either, it's more like the color of a rubber tire. I think the color of the engine pods is the same as the plastic they'll be using on the super packs though.

All in all, I still think the scheme is bizarre. I broke down and ordered another from NY on sale after I told myself not to, because I want to strip one down to the bare plastic, and see how much of it is actually white underneath.

I know the gun turret is actually black plastic with the top painted white, and I think the upper half of the cockpit is actually black, but for some reason, there's a scratch on my upper nosecone which looks like the entire part was molded in white, then painted black, then touched up with white again on the underside of the tip. :p

Honestly.. this is what drove me nuts about all of Bandai's VF designs... Not only did they paint them in ridiculous schemes that no real life aircraft would ever be painted in, but they made more work for themselves by making the things impossible to mold in color. :p

Edited by Chronocidal

Honestly.. this is what drove me nuts about all of Bandai's VF designs... Not only did they paint them in ridiculous schemes that no real life aircraft would ever be painted in, but they made more work for themselves by making the things impossible to mold in color. :p

Blame Kawamori, not Bandai for the Frontier colour schemes.

Graham

Except for the pre-release color revision of the 30th ann YF-29--wasn't that totally Kawamori? And that was the change I didn't like---I really wanted the green-canopied, golden-yellow one. I passed on the purple-canopy, lighter-yellow one. (yes, I actually had it in my cart at HLJ, and it was available for several minutes---I should have just bought it, then sold it 12 weeks later for 100% profit)

Well, ok, true, Kawamori probably had more of a hand in most of those.

Still doesn't mean Bandai is blameless though. They keep molding parts completely in the wrong color, then painting the entire part to cover it up. At least they molded Michael's wing gloves in white, but even with the renewals, they keep doing things that make me think they really have no clue what they're doing.

I mean.. really.. how hard would it have been to mold the top portion of renewals' noses in color? That part that sticks into the underside of the torso, and loses paint with EVERY transformation? <_< It just feels like an astounding lack of thought went into the molding choices.

I just got this yesterday, the yellow is a golden yellow not the bright yellow that's in the promo pics and the box. The sculpt is flawless, I just wish the IR sensors were red instead of purple.

It's still not the almost-orange of the original scheme.

just got my copy from NY, took 2 weeks with SAL shipping.

No bent head fin but it's missing the little indent stopper thing on one of the thigh gerwalk joints.

Mind to share a picture?

On a side note it seams that many units shipped by NY have some kind of defect. Either missing crotch pieces, bend head lasers and missing boob-lasers on the VF-171. I wondering if NY is buying up stock that didn't pass the QC on the other shops. I remember a quote from HLJ that said they cant sell a chunk of their stock because of QC-issues. NY seems to just sell whatever they can get hold of.

I don't want to accuse NY but their name is mentioned significantly more often then other shops when it comes to units that have some kind of defect and I wonder why that is.

You can proof me wrong if you can and I would be pleased if someone can because I have 3 Bandai Valkyries ordered from them. On the other hand NY seems to ship a lot of units maybe 10 times more then other shops so it would be logical that they have more defects then other shops just because they ship more.

You can proof me wrong if you can and I would be pleased if someone can because I have 3 Bandai Valkyries ordered from them. On the other hand NY seems to ship a lot of units maybe 10 times more then other shops so it would be logical that they have more defects then other shops just because they ship more.

My only experience with NY is the two 1/60 VF-4G's I got through them and they are flawless. That's two yammies with no QC at all.

NY sells 100X more units then HLJ based on stock numbers given out.

That's why it seems like NY has more issues. If the defect is one out of ten units.

Then for every one issue HLJ has NY has Ten.

I think it's just perception because the minority here are

Peeps with HLJ orders.

Got my yf-29 from NY yesterday. First bandai figure, fairly impressed so far! Feels not quite as tight as a (v2)yamato, not as many locking hinges or hidden pegs, but still worth the money! Really appreciate the included stand. What was the deal with the green canopy version? Why did they switch to purple? Looks good, but I thought the green looked better.

Kawamori pulled the plug maybe because it didn't had a proper Fokker yellow and thought the green canopy would not look good with the new yellow tone. Also the green fold quartz are not canon. There was a interview with Mr. Valkyrie before the first release of the YF-29 that had some information on the color change but it was all in Japanese and I didn't see a proper translation of the text.