"The Men Who Made Macross" Special Airs

SCOOPUDA!

An hour-long TV special documentary aired on July 8th at 8pm on the Tokyo MX station as part of the Macross 30th Anniversary celebrations and to promote the upcoming "Macross: Do You Remember Love?" Blu-Ray release.

The show was well made, with plenty of interesting information about the production of the original TV series from the first "Battle City Megaroad" concept, to the production of the "DYRL" feature film, all straight from the mouths of Shoji Kawamori, Haruhiko Mikimoto, Ichiro Itano, Kazutaka Miyatake and Yasunori Honda (sound director) as they reminisce their younger days.

Some screencaps for your viewing pleasure, and more info, follow after the jump.

Of personal interest was a brief segment where Honda-san describes their aims with the new 5.1 sound mix of DYRL.  Some of you may have read this post of mine on the forums yesterday:

Renato's forum post on DYRL BD screening

Honda-san actually explicitly states that the particular scene which I describe within the spoiler tags was changed on purpose, with that particular piece of BGM omitted to maximize the effect of the intro to the title song.  Obviously, I personally disagree and believe that it does more harm than good, but it was still interesting to hear that this was in fact a very conscious decision, and not a case of "dropping the ball" or any sort of carelessness at all.

Read the full story here

Honda-san actually explicitly states that the particular scene which I describe within the spoiler tags was changed on purpose, with that particular piece of BGM omitted to maximize the effect of the intro to the title song. Obviously, I personally disagree and believe that it does more harm than good, but it was still interesting to hear that this was in fact a very conscious decision, and not a case of "dropping the ball" or any sort of carelessness at all.

Oh that's just wonderful. They are editing their films decades later like George Lucas. The censoring of the violence in the retail release also sounds more likely now. All without having the option of viewing the earlier edits I imagine.

Edited by pablumatic

I know this is a long shot, but I wonder if anyone's going to take a crack at subbing this...

I would go absolutely frakking BONKERS if I could watch this documentary with english subs!! SCOOPUDA or anyone else, please please PLEASE upload it and sub it for all of us fans to enjoy. I've been wanting to see a true feature length documentary on the making of Macross for so many years. This is better than the DYRL BluRay in my opinion. This SHOWS and TELLS you how it all got started and what went on behind the scenes of creating this masterpiece. Please upload and sub it! I will honestly donate $30 if you do.

You know... other sources have provided the same information over the years. Interviews in books like the This Is Animation and trade magazines come to mind.

Internet searches and reading is fun! :ph34r:

Edited by sketchley

yet

LOL! Awesome. B))

If ever I get to Japan, I want to see the life size Gundam, but it would be cool to include a life size valkyrie too.

Just found a link via Google. How effin' cool is it that there is a life sized VF-25??!!?!?! Of course, I seem to be behind the curve on this one as it was making the rounds last month. Anyone know if the valk will be a permanent fixture anywhere?

Edited by Capt Hungry

• 2 weeks later...

No plans to rerun it as far as I know. And even if I recorded it, all digital broadcasts are encoded here in Japan unlike the US (as I understand it) so there would be nothing I could do. I can only watch it on my machine. And that's without getting into the whole "respect the (un)written law" stuff that Japanese fans live by.

According to THIS (which is not really that new but I just read it):

http://www.macross30.com/1stmovie/journal/12.html

...the documentary that aired was made up of footage filmed for the special 70-minute documentary that will be included in the Blu-Ray.

The red text is the chapter list. Looking at all that, it is clear that we are in for an information overload. Looking forward to it!

By the way, the name of the documentary is "Flashback 1984". :)

http://www.macross30...journal/12.html

...the documentary that aired was made up of footage filmed for the special 70-minute documentary that will be included in the Blu-Ray.

The red text is the chapter list. Looking at all that, it is clear that we are in for an information overload. Looking forward to it!

Nice, one of the chapters is "Artland and Noboru Ishiguro". I'm glad they had enough time to include something devoted to him :)

http://www.macross30...journal/12.html

Thank you for posting this that is GREAT news! If it's being included in the BluRay, perhaps a group like Thora will sub it?

• 3 weeks later...