DYRL BD Remaster - the Good.......and the BAD.

SCOOPUDA!

Movie Edition of M+ would be nice, I actually like it over the OVA, but I do miss the opening action scene of the 1st episode.

Same here, thats why I downloaded that fan edit of the OVA and Movie edition, and re-edited them into one long movie. Only thing I miss now, is Sharon's concert song of "Wanna Be an Angel".

As for the edits...Ehhhh, kinda messed up they do this to DYL so late in the game, but I have the dvd perfect edition, as well as the version that some MW users re-subbed, and the "new" bootleg one which includes the infamous english dub. So I could care less about the edits, I just want the extras and the games. I'll just wait the inevitable HHDDVVDDBVD release.

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

This was a post on twitter made by Manga Entertainment UK:

"Pressure on licensees like Manga to increase our prices in line with Japan. If that happens I can't see it helping us to release more BD."

I guess Japan is feeling the pressure of having really high prices for their Blurays. I'm not sure having the foreign markets match their prices would work though. I can only see more and more fans avoiding the purchase of these items and maybe turning towards the internet to watch anime. Maybe it's too soon to say implosion but I don't see how things will turn for the better any time in the near future.

Honestly though, after having bought a bootlegs of the Macross Dubbed Movie in the 90's and the FX version DVD in the 2000's I'm happy to finally put out for an official copy that goes to Japan and not to HG, to whom my money went to for the series even though I got it in their clearance prices. If they put out an unedited copy, I just might repop. Not for a deluxe edition though... just the movie itself... depending on the how I feel about the quality after I see this upcoming copy. $180 plus shipping isn't bad for 30 years of entertaiment. if I watch this Bluray for another 30 years that's $3 a year for DYRL... lol.

I am torn between cancelling my order or going through with it. I got the LE for $193.74 USD. While the edits are "minor" (ugh!), the fact that it has been remastered is very appealing! But then there's the damn changes! I wish I could go back in time and not read the DYRL BD threads...and hopefully miss the changes upon watching the Bluray - ignorance is bliss! I'm debating if I want to cancel the LE and just pick up the BD itself...or skip it all together and wait another 28364234234 years...hoping for the movie to be done right on BD or whatever the next format might be. :ph34r::unsure: :cries:

Edit: After reading these threads and other stuff online, I still see no logical sense in making these edits. Yes...the changes are "minor" (ugh), and yes, I can go re-watch the unaltered DVDs and digital copies on my computer...but they're changes all the same! I now fully understand how the Star Wars fans feel about the changes made to the original movies.

Edit #2: Who am I kidding? ...I'm a sucker for Macross! :wub:

Edited by Oihan

I am not going to cancel my order just because of a few gore scenes that last about two seconds. Always thought those scenes were out of place and a bit ridiculous but i guess that's just me. We are talking about Shoji Kawamori here. By now I would expect him to edit out Minmay's tits as well. This is what he envisions the movie should be like as it is passed down to future generations so it is safe to say that a future release with the gore added back in is unlikely. Maybe for the 50th anniversary or when Kawamori retires or dies and some director who has taken the mantle decides to redo these changes. Then again we'd be probably living in an all digital age so I really don't want to take my chances on missing out on this supposedly ultimate release. The only way i can see them topping this anniversary is by bringing back the Gold Book with the next edition or as a separate release.

Edited by SHODAN

The thing about Macross and a lot of other TV to Movie features is that they were always more serious, realistic, and dangerous on screen. At least for me growing up watching them on TV. Movies like Star Trek Wrath of Khan and Macross DYRL were examples of that. That is why many recent TV to Movie features are a miss. Stuff like the X-Files and the Star Trek Next Generation movies.

Editing DYRL after all the previous releases at this point is strange. Those edited scenes although a bit over the top are part of the harder edge in the movie. It's almost crazy that they would think to have two versions in this release and both are with the edits.

I guess someone will do an unboxing video in the next day or so.

Shipping notice received, WOOT! And I have tomorrow off work as well. Talk about perfect timing!

Any chance we can get a decent scan of the new poster/cover art?

Sorry I have no way to scan a poster. If past boxsets are any indication though, I daresay someone will scan the cover once its out.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know what the reaction is in Japan regarding the altered shots?

In the cinema both when they occurred (ie, when they happened) and afterwards (ie, when i spoke with some fans) the general reaction has not all that major. 'Oh well, cant be helped' kinda thing.

Did they miss that scene? :p

Isn't it just as violent?

Its not so much that they missed it as it is that they couldnt edit it without making the edits more obvious. Boldolza getting shot in the face isnt edited either. Nor are Minmays jubblies. It looks like they only edited (2) shots that they thought they could get away with and that were felt to really have no impact on anything.

Edited by Tochiro

Tochiro...congrats on the poster. I ended up getting one from Yahoo Japan Auctions. Where'd you get yours from?

BTW. Is it just me? Or does Mikimoto's art from the previous HD release look a bit more appealing?

post-31-0-28038700-1343199113_thumb.jpg

Just got the payment request from amiami but, again, they have problems accepting payments by Credit Card :angry:

Had to send the payment by PayPal

edit: sp

I'm having the same issue so I gotta wait for another invoice since I had to change payment method to PayPal... :angry:

I'm having the same issue so I gotta wait for another invoice since I had to change payment method to PayPal... :angry:

Reply from amiami:

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We believe our credit processing system is having trouble processing credit payments by Visa and MasterCard that are over 10000 JPY. We are of course working with our credit processing company to resolve this issue as soon as possible, but at this time we are unsure when it may be fixed.

In the meantime, you can either submit your payment by PayPal, or we can split your order into amounts less than 10000 JPY so that you can submit your payment directly by credit card. For orders of single items that total over 10000 JPY, other measures would need to be taken that are a bit more complicated (and it would be easiest if you could please pay for those kinds of orders by PayPal). Please contact us if you require assistance submitting payment for your orders.

I see others had some issues with payment as well. I mentioned my particular problem in the other thread. Basically, I ended up making a manual PayPal payment and sent them money using their instructions as far as recipient e-mail and subject heading.

Confirmed -- the "Complete" (read: "non-theatrical") edition of the movie features some explanatory text at the beginning as an introduction to the story. Kawamori officially does a 180 from his original stance here: http://www.macrosswo...-miemashita-ka/

Perhaps more alarming, however....

Reports are coming in (on 2channel) that there may be flaws with the audio on the discs as some lines of dialogue get unnaturally cut out, etc. This may depend on the player that you are using.

Edit -- I'm not receiving mine until tomorrow so I can only go by online postings so far.

Edited by Renato

More reading along... They also hate the inconsistency in the clarity of the image (like Tochiro mentioned after the screening). Some people are going to take it back and get a refund, some are going to sell it off after watching it once.