DYRL BD Remaster - the Good.......and the BAD.

SCOOPUDA!

I've absorbed japanese purely through passive exposure, so over the years I've seen the translation "large-scale" in so many places I think I'm going to include it as a personal preference.

Dropping the "-scale" is just to keep things from getting overly wordy. Nevertheless, if you're going to use it, you should keep the hyphen.

Anyhow, other ways to translate the term: http://rut.org/cgi-bin/j-e/sjis/dosearch?sDict=on&H=PS&L=J&T=%91%E5%8C%5E&WC=none

Edit: that sucks, Jim Breen won't let you post searches as links. >.<

Edited by sketchley

Sketchley and Tochiro: thank you very much for helping me out! I'm a big stickler for translation detail for someone who doesn't know Japanese! I've finally gotten something that puts my mind at ease.

If you feel like I've gotten anything wrong, feel free to point it out, because free lessons are awesome^^

I think you got ONE THING wrong... :p

I think you got ONE THING wrong... :p

Oh Damn! Fixed! (everytime I do a subtitle project there is always something :p)

Dropping the "-scale" is just to keep things from getting overly wordy. Nevertheless, if you're going to use it, you should keep the hyphen.

Anyhow, other ways to translate the term: http://rut.org/cgi-b...5%8C%5E&WC=none

Edit: that sucks, Jim Breen won't let you post searches as links. >.<

Got it! Adding hyphen.

And your search link did work btw. Helping me at this level of detail is much appreciated. As an enthusiast I've been on the Romaji crutch for many years and working on this is helping me appreciate the necessity of learning kanji. I'll probably look over all the variations in your search link to see if I become inclined to interpret it differently.

大型 (adj-na,n,adj-no) large; large scale; big; jumbo;

Super Jumbo?

nah.....

• 4 months later...

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere. I asked on another forum for a translation of the opening text intro. dyrlopening.jpg

This is what I got:

February, 2009 A.D.

The day of the space launching ceremony for mankind's first large scale interstellar migration ship, the Macross, a mysterious space fleet suddenly arrives and the Earth suffers catastrophic damage in an attack.

50,000 evacuees aboard the Fortress Macross make an emergency escape to the orbit of Pluto using the ship’s space fold system [literally: escape to the orbit of Pluto using (space) fold navigation].

Several months have now passed.

I just wanted to double check this with some of you here. I found the term "Fortress Macross" odd. I'm amateur with Japanese, but I didn't notice the term "Fortress" adjacent to the "Macross" characters, and I'm questioning the interpretation to make "Fortress" proper, so I'm hoping one of you guys can help confirm that part.

Do you guys have the latest correct translation?

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere. I asked on another forum for a translation of the opening text intro. dyrlopening.jpg

This is what I got:

February, 2009 A.D.

The day of the space launching ceremony for mankind's first large scale interstellar migration ship, the Macross, a mysterious space fleet suddenly arrives and the Earth suffers catastrophic damage in an attack.

50,000 evacuees aboard the Fortress Macross make an emergency escape to the orbit of Pluto using the ship’s space fold system [literally: escape to the orbit of Pluto using (space) fold navigation].

Several months have now passed.

I just wanted to double check this with some of you here. I found the term "Fortress Macross" odd. I'm amateur with Japanese, but I didn't notice the term "Fortress" adjacent to the "Macross" characters, and I'm questioning the interpretation to make "Fortress" proper, so I'm hoping one of you guys can help confirm that part.

Enh, I'd just say "the Macross" (the text literally says "Macross kan" i.e. "Macross ship"), but that always tends to get left out, because it's not needed in English.

Pretty much everything else seems in order.

Great

I just updated a fandub for DYRL in Spanish I found a couple of weeks ago, adding subs for this new scene. This goes directly to family members just to show them what awesome stuff they have been missing.

Edited by dakedo