DYRL BD Remaster - the Good.......and the BAD.

SCOOPUDA!

Do you know if it is in 480p or 1080p?

uhmm, FB2012BD's jacket states 1080i

fwiw, my software-player gives me only info of 1920x1080.

oh, both Angel Paints segments are windowboxed and the rest are all pillarboxed.

seriously not remastered quality.

the FB2012-bd video quality will be really totally jarring after you'd watched DYRL-BD quality.

not really worth taking any snapshot.

Edited by treatment

FB2012 should be pillarboxed, and we knew it wouldn't be remastered like DYRL. There's only so much you can do when the film source doesn't exist anymore.

At any rate, I'm still convinced the edits had to do with the game and its 12+ CERO rating. I tried the game, and it is terrible. I really wish the decision hadn't been made to bundle the movie with a game in an attempt to increase sales. Does anyone think they will sell more copies with the game than they would have without the game and without the edits? I think it was a bad move since many of the people who were interested in this release are older fans who mainly wanted a definitive version of a film they grew up with and who couldn't care less about a PS3 game.

Also, is it me, or did they add color to the lights on the Macross as it appears from the fold just before the movie's title appears?

At any rate, I'm still convinced the edits had to do with the game and its 12+ CERO rating. I tried the game, and it is terrible. I really wish the decision hadn't been made to bundle the movie with a game in an attempt to increase sales. Does anyone think they will sell more copies with the game than they would have without the game and without the edits? I think it was a bad move since many of the people who were interested in this release are older fans who mainly wanted a definitive version of a film they grew up with and who couldn't care less about a PS3 game.

Also, is it me, or did they add color to the lights on the Macross as it appears from the fold just before the movie's title appears?

It is specifically written on the packaging that the CERO rating "A" applies *only* to the "My Boyfriend is a Pilot" game, while the "B" rating applies *only* to the DYRL PS1 game. The rating does *not* affect any of the content of the disc other than the games.

As for your second point, yes, it is you. :)

The lights always had color. It was a lot harder to see in some of the older DVDs (similar to how people who've only see bootlegs seem impressed by the amount of moving stars in the backgrounds when first seeing the Blu-ray). Also, the Macross isn't appearing from a fold (remember the whole premise that they no longer have a functioning fold drive). It's just moving out of a planet's shadow (probably Titan since the SDF-1 is in the orbit of Titan at the start of this movie).

FB2012 should be pillarboxed, and we knew it wouldn't be remastered like DYRL. There's only so much you can do when the film source doesn't exist anymore.

Maybe I missed it but what happened to the original Flashback? Why can't they find a version to restore?

Maybe I missed it but what happened to the original Flashback? Why can't they find a version to restore?

Bandai said back when they announced details of the set that FB2012 would be an upscale because the original material/print was no longer available. No idea whether it was lost, destroyed or simply discarded. Either way, this was announced early on (and noted in these forums) so I think it's reasonable to say that those who preordered the box knew what they were getting.

When I pre-ordered the DYRL LE BD set, I did not know about FB2012 bluray as an upscaled version from the remastered DVD. And I definitely did not know about Kawamori smudging two scenes, adding in an introductory text card and altering the audio. I have mixed feelings about this DYRL release. The extra booklets and art cards are great, but the movie itself was misrepresented as the "theatrical" version.

It's too late to return this movie to YesAsia, since I had to see and hear how DYRL BD looked. This movie still needs a lot of work

to restore properly.

Edited by boinger

When I pre-ordered the DYRL LE BD set, I did not know about FB2012 bluray as an upscaled version from the remastered DVD. And I definitely did not know about Kawamori smudging two scenes, adding in an introductory text card and altering the audio. I have mixed feelings about this DYRL release. The extra booklets and art cards are great, but the movie itself was misrepresented as the "theatrical" version.

It's too late to return this movie to YesAsia, since I had to see and hear how DYRL BD looked. This movie still needs a lot of work

to restore properly.

Well first of all, I was replying to Jet Jockeys question.

Having said that, the fact that the FB2012 would be an upscale was reported here on Macross World way back on March 23:

http://www.macrosswo...ndpost&p=964626

Similarly, MW was the first site in the world (as far as I know) to report on the edits directly from the theatrical screening. This was also a couple of weeks before the BD release and was put on the front page.

http://www.macrosswo...od-and-the-bad/

If you wanted to wait and see the quality for yourself well i'm sorry but that was your choice. A lot of ppl here did their utmost to get all possible information disseminated as it became available so that ppl knew what they would be getting. The result was a cancellation window of several months (based on FB2012 upscale news) or 2 weeks (based on report of edits). The information was out there and some people did use this as reason to cancel their preorders.

I am in no way condoning the edits made to the movie and am sorry you are unhappy with your purchase. All I am saying is that information about what to expect did exist prior to the BD release.

Edited by Tochiro

I skimmed over that post and pre-ordered the DYRL BD LE set from YesAsia on March 23 when

the LE BD set was momentarily difficult to pre-order. YesAsia does not allow cancellations of pre-orders.

I just read Macross + Bluray = spend money. Never mind me.

Edited by boinger

Well first of all, I was replying to Jet Jockeys question.

Having said that, the fact that the FB2012 would be an upscale was reported here on Macross World way back on March 23:

http://www.macrosswo...ndpost&p=964626

Similarly, MW was the first site in the world (as far as I know) to report on the edits directly from the theatrical screening. This was also a couple of weeks before the BD release and was put on the front page.

http://www.macrosswo...od-and-the-bad/

If you wanted to wait and see the quality for yourself well i'm sorry but that was your choice. A lot of ppl here did their utmost to get all possible information disseminated as it became available so that ppl knew what they would be getting. The result was a cancellation window of several months (based on FB2012 upscale news) or 2 weeks (based on report of edits). The information was out there and some people did use this as reason to cancel their preorders.

I am in no way condoning the edits made to the movie and am sorry you are unhappy with your purchase. All I am saying is that information about what to expect did exist prior to the BD release.

Unfortunately, the FB upscale-info was prolly buried/forgotten and missed out by people like Boinger and the others.

The edits, tho, that was just a huge blow and was quite recent so it could not have been missed out.

As such, not really sure who was or were able to cancel their preorders outside of Japan-based fans, but some of us who imported thru CDJ just could not cancel our preorders even _before_ news of the edits were first reported here.

Not sure about those who preordered thru other stores like AmiAmi or YesAsia were given the option.

Not even sure who were able to cancel their preorders _after_ the edit-news was propagated.

Sucks to be suckered like this, but oh well.

I skimmed over that post and pre-ordered the DYRL BD LE set from YesAsia on March 23 when

the LE BD set was momentarily difficult to pre-order. YesAsia does not allow cancellations of pre-orders.

I just read Macross + Bluray = spend money. Never mind me.

I completely understand. They could have re-drawn the entire movie with crayons and sold it in a paper bag and I still would have bought it (hell, I bought that awful "HD remaster" DVD box!)... I just love this movie too much, plus the box was a no-brainer, with all the precious materials it contains.

I completely understand. They could have re-drawn the entire movie with crayons and sold it in a paper bag and I still would have bought it (hell, I bought that awful "HD remaster" DVD box!)... I just love this movie too much, plus the box was a no-brainer, with all the precious materials it contains.

So in going through the precious materials....I assume they were not able to sucker someone into "borrowing" some of their "missing" treasures.......the set still has missing posters......but I was pleasantly surprised to find a replica of the old Macross DYRL Arcade game poster!!! I regrettably passed that one up a while ago..........plus they forgot to include copies of the stills from the initial movie release....which I shared in the collectors thread....

Can anyone else come up with more items that were missing from the "extras"?

I just had a mildly horrible yet interesting and improbable idea. If this gets too off-topic-y I apologize.

Now, I'm quite happy with this DYRL release as it is. It's the best the movie has ever looked and the "creator alterations" don't bother me. I'm happy to have parted with thousands and thousands of yen for this.

But, if we were to hypothesize as to how to improve it then the only way to do that at this point is to get it licensed by Funimation.

Personally I do not like Funi. I have, in general, given up on the R1 anime industry over 5 years ago. I've been constantly disappointed with their releases but there are reasons for my proposal.

The only product of theirs I consider buying is the recent DBZ BD release because unlike the filtered DBKai in Japan the Funi release of DBZ is amazingly enough an unmolested film scan at the correct aspect ratio.

This all came from keeping thinking through of why all those scenes are blurry and based on the assumption that the Zentradi subtitles are what ruined them.

If Funi licenses it for release outside Japan they do not need those japanese hardsubs. They can lobby Kawamori and friends for the original animation film elements, before the subtitle compostion. This sadly all hinges on those intermediate step films still existing. But hey, if GAINAX still had internegatives for Eva then why not? Film is far more valuable than cels and easier to store so no need to get rid of it.

With that new DBZ release Funi has shown that they've finally learned how to treat traditional anime and can themselves rescan that pre-sub film removing the obstacle of Japan's lack of will/technology/money to do that.

That's the technical reason to consider Funi: They do anime and they seem to be up to it at this point. I don't see any other company of this scale being interesting in DYRL and willing to put in the effort.

The obstacle here however is licensing and finances. I don't know the exact situation with HG but I don't think the above scenario is likely with them having Macross. However given how much potential the Macross license has for Funi I think it's doable to wrestle HG for it if Japan is willing. If you put together a nice big deal for obligatory SDF TV BDs, coupled with low risk Plus and Zero packages and shiny new Frontier on top, then the DYRL seems very worthwhile. 7 is sadly not everyone's cup of tea, but at this point why not a blanket Macross license?

So, just crazy talk?

just gotten my copy of DYRL+ Flashback 2012 combo pack a few days ago, but was too busy cleaning the rest of my room when I got it on Monday to watch it, yeah it took two days to clean my room. Finally got around to finish watching on Tuesday and like before with the horrible english dub I sang Do you Remember love. Yeah I know, I 'm the guy who dosen't understand a word of Japanese but can sing it and pronuciate it right with minor issues (thank you animelyrics.com) I must say they did a great job in cleaning it up making it cleaner and clearer to watch, plus it's widescreen so I can see things that weren't visible on my old VHS tape of Clash of the Bionoids (stupid name) suchs as Millia's shot taking out Kakizaki as he laughed his head off for the last time, or Max's broken wings and missile pods on the floor as he battled Millia on the airlock on her ship. They even added new and more SFX to Valks and enemy Mecha to make it more reallistic, somethimg that was never heard before in the original footage i.e: Roy's rescue attempt at Saturn. The thrust SFX of his engines are now different from the original. But there is one drawback the the Blu-ray disk release, is the sudden censorship of the gore that made the movie much enjoyable. Take the escape in Britai's ship as Millia 639 slaughters the Zentraedi. In the original footage you see her Q-Rau stomp down on her last victums head, pratically popping the eyes out and you see blood and gore.

With the remasterd version it is almost blurred out as if it happened waaay too quick to see. And then in the final scenes where the Macross is taking hits from a lone ship that is ignoring Minmays singing. You'll noticed the guy that starts running to avoid falling debris but get decapitated instead. Yeah that's right they edited that part too. Just as he comes into view as everone else gets crushed from the debris the screen flashes white, and we're back to the attacking ship. I don't know if this is some sort of new law in Japan to edit out all sorts of gore and violence, that when into effect decades after this was released, but that was just wrong to do that on so many levels. All and all the was good, the game that came in the disc was too difficult to play. Seems the graphis and controls are based on those of Frontiers' controls. I could not get past level two.

The second disc had Flashback 2012 on it as well as clips from the Macross Do you Remeber Love Video game, TV commercial spots and Commentaries and interveues with Shoji Kawamori and some other guy I don't know (wish I could read Japanese) Nice to hear what Kawamori sound like, and you could see the tiredness in his eyes, of a man who has done a lot of great works in his life.

The combo pack not only comes with two discs, one for the feature length Movie and the other Flashback 2012. it also come with two packets of production art and a booklet that covers everything from photos of the production staff from both the TV series and Movie, conceptual Character and Mecha art, and past articles about Macross.

This is definatly a must have.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

Haven't had a chance to watch my copy yet since I picked it up at the post office this morning. I did get a chance to open up and peek at the goodies and feeling the heft of the LE box makes it feel so worth it despite the edits. I don't regret getting this for the extras at all. Still a little pissed about the edits but I'll enjoy what I got and leave it at that.

Not sure about those who preordered thru other stores like AmiAmi or YesAsia were given the option.

Not even sure who were able to cancel their preorders _after_ the edit-news was propagated.

Sucks to be suckered like this, but oh well.

I had two preorders, one with PlayAsia and one with CDJapan, and I was able to cancel both just days before the release date. With PlayAsia they had my credit card on file and it was easy for them just to cancel my order. With CDJapan, I prepaid with Paypal in full and I had to email them and wait for a refund. The only hiccup I had was that they didn't refund my payment and they sent me back the money as a payment to me meaning that I was being charge a sellers fee through Paypal and not getting all of my money back. But I simply called Paypal, told them wha was going on, and they refunded me the $12 that they were gonna charge me.

All in all it was pretty simple to cancel from two separate webstores.

Maybe sometime they will do it again.. maybe without edits.. maybe with a regular edition box.. maybe a complete restoration with blurriness fixed (somehow...)

Think about how many releases there have been of this film. I would be surprised if this is the last.

And considering the going price of ONE Yamato valkyrie shipped these days, i don't really feel like i was overcharged.

To tell the truth, when I was a kid .. and first saw this movie around 85.. (I was 12!) the flying decapitated head freaked me out a bit! Now I kind of miss it.. but whatever. It will be back.

Something i'm terribly curious about, and have yet to see discussed here is the SOUND.

(If i've missed it, then my apologies… and please feel free to smite me and point me in the right direction!)

For those who have their discs, how is the sound?

Have they added new effects to fill the other audio channels? Or have they endeavored to preserve the original 80s sounds?

Also… on some of the DVD versions, all the dialogue has a noticeable reverb (sort of like an echo) on it. Almost as if the recording was made in a theatre.

(*Note: Not talking about the weird effect when the Zentradi are speaking)

For a long time i had thought that was just how the dialogue was recorded… but the dialogue on the DYRL Movie Drama Edition LP is pristine.

So i'm also curious if the dialogue is clean or if you hear a hint of reverb whenever somebody speaks.

i dunno. What else?

What do these discs sound like? Thoughts?

I wish someone out there would do a complete video (or text) review with this new DYRL Blu-ray and with a comparison to the previously released DVDs. So we would have some kind of benchmark on video, sound, etc.

Edited by JetJockey

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new here.

I was wondering is the BD region coded or not?

Given Japanese paranoia about IP theft, I would say that is a definite yes. It would have been coded Region A, for Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea, various other areas of Southeast Asia, and finally, North America.

I'm new here.

I was wondering is the BD region coded or not?

Good question. I'm not sure. All I know is Japan and USA are on the same region so it's a non-issue for me...

Watched it last night. The blurry to sharp scan scenes are noticeable, but not terrible. The head stomp and decapitation are kinda weird tho and do stick out.

Flashback was okay. Was it shown at cinemas or direct to video? Given that it uses stock footage and video effects there was probably never a better than PAL video resolution produced.

No problems with region encoding down here. :)

are there any differences between these 2 besides the cover and disc art? the second one seems to have the LE box art but is being sold separately. can anyone please confirm if thats the only difference?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Macross-Do-You-Remember-Love-Hybrid-Pack-PS3-Blu-ray-Japan-Sealed-F-S-/170898157367?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ca52ef37

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FS-New-Macross-Do-You-Remember-Love-Hybrid-Pack-PS3Blu-ray-Japan-Sealed-FREE-EMS-/261078622000?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc97f9f30

thnaks,

ben

The first uses the preliminary art, while the second uses the final art. Given the prices there, I'd reccomend going through a proper import shop.

thanks for the info! yeah the ebay prices a pretty steep, i found a local store thats selling for 95, i figure thats about the same as buying from importers+shipping plus i wouldnt have to wait for the item to arrive. still shopping around for the best price though

thanks,

ben

Edited by Boomstik01

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere. I asked on another forum for a translation of the opening text intro. dyrlopening.jpg

This is what I got:

February, 2009 A.D.

The day of the space launching ceremony for mankind's first large scale interstellar migration ship, the Macross, a mysterious space fleet suddenly arrives and the Earth suffers catastrophic damage in an attack.

50,000 evacuees aboard the Fortress Macross make an emergency escape to the orbit of Pluto using the ship’s space fold system [literally: escape to the orbit of Pluto using (space) fold navigation].

Several months have now passed.

I just wanted to double check this with some of you here. I found the term "Fortress Macross" odd. I'm amateur with Japanese, but I didn't notice the term "Fortress" adjacent to the "Macross" characters, and I'm questioning the interpretation to make "Fortress" proper, so I'm hoping one of you guys can help confirm that part.

Edited by OptimusX

I just wanted to double check this with some of you here. I found the term "Fortress Macross" odd. I'm amateur with Japanese, but I didn't notice the term "Fortress" adjacent to the "Macross" characters, and I'm questioning the interpretation to make "Fortress" proper, so I'm hoping one of you guys can help confirm that part.

You are right, technically it doesn't say "Fortress"; in the first paragraph, 超大型宇宙移民船 is literally "Super Large Scale Space Emigration Ship". In the second, 艦 is more like a "warship".

Takatoys -- In the title, "Super Dimension Fortress" is the translation of 超時空要塞. As you can see, they are completely different words to what is being described in the opening text, and as such, a more faithful translation is called for.

Edited by Renato

The other thing I'm wondering now is -- OptimusX, did you base that translation on an internet translation? Because Google in particular I know is fixing their translation software to accommodate for context, so that if you input マクロス you will actually get "Macross" now, not Makurosu or something weird... So because of the context, マクロス艦 may already have been pre-disposed to be translated as "Fortress Macross"... Obviously this is just a guess, though.

So in going through the precious materials....I assume they were not able to sucker someone into "borrowing" some of their "missing" treasures.......the set still has missing posters......but I was pleasantly surprised to find a replica of the old Macross DYRL Arcade game poster!!! I regrettably passed that one up a while ago..........plus they forgot to include copies of the stills from the initial movie release....which I shared in the collectors thread....

I'm assuming they didn't have access to all that. As for what they suckered people into borrowing, there was apparently a total of 8 pieces, which are shown here:

http://www.macross30.com/1stmovie/journal/

The other thing I'm wondering now is -- OptimusX, did you base that translation on an internet translation? Because Google in particular I know is fixing their translation software to accommodate for context, so that if you input マクロス you will actually get "Macross" now, not Makurosu or something weird... So because of the context, マクロス艦 may already have been pre-disposed to be translated as "Fortress Macross"... Obviously this is just a guess, though.

I'm assuming they didn't have access to all that. As for what they suckered people into borrowing, there was apparently a total of 8 pieces, which are shown here:

http://www.macross30...tmovie/journal/

Well, since this is a screenshot, and not cut and paste text, putting it into google is beyond my ability, lol. I actually posted it to a "please translate this" thread on another forum, and the result was courtesy of a kind person that I don't think was a Macross fan.

I'm attempting a draft script to paste into the Blue Ray, so I appreciate your help in getting this right. I'm going to use the term "Super Large Scale Space Emigration Ship" in the first paragraph. The translator's choice was an excellent westernization, but your literal translation fits in better with the terminology in translations of other Macross works.

Now, I'm going to remove the "Fortress" term...but I need to figure out what word to use for 艦. "Warship" is a vastly different connotation from "Super Large Scale Space Emigration Ship."

I think the SDF-1 became an emigration ship out of circumstance rather than design, so this would've been easier if the term wasn't used...

I'd translate them as "Super Large Space Emigrant Ship Macross" and "the Macross Ship", respectively.

Alternatively, "the Macross Warship", but as 艦 tends to donate larger, heavier ships that aren't always used for combat, it's something that could probably get "lost in translation" without a loss to the intended meaning.

I'd translate them as "Super Large Space Emigrant Ship Macross" and "the Macross Ship", respectively.

Alternatively, "the Macross Warship", but as 艦 tends to donate larger, heavier ships that aren't always used for combat, it's something that could probably get "lost in translation" without a loss to the intended meaning.

I've absorbed japanese purely through passive exposure, so over the years I've seen the translation "large-scale" in so many places I think I'm going to include it as a personal preference.

I decided to research the 艦 character and found it to be used in numerous military connotations. I did see, as you pointed out, that it was applied to large non-combat ships, but the bulk of the examples had a military connotation. KAN-TEI, for war fleet, for example. So I've decided to use warship, but I changed its placement so the translation can read more smoothly.

Sketchley and RENATO (fixed): thank you very much for helping me out! I'm a big stickler for translation detail for someone who doesn't know Japanese! I've finally gotten something that puts my mind at ease.

If you feel like I've gotten anything wrong, feel free to point it out, because free lessons are awesome^^

February, 2009 A.D.

On the day of the launch ceremony for mankind's first super large scale space emigrant ship, the {\i1}Macross,{\i0} a mysterious space fleet suddenly arrives and the Earth suffers catastrophic damage in an attack.

Using the warship's space fold system, the {\i1}Macross {\i0}and 50,000 evacuees make an emergency jump to the orbit of Pluto.

Several months have now passed.

* "jump" was used to imply that they appeared at Pluto, instead of going to Pluto. Using "ship" twice in the same sentence felt redundant, so I kept "warship" and dropped the other.

Edited by OptimusX