DYRL BD Remaster - the Good.......and the BAD.

SCOOPUDA!

That article still reads a little funky, so I'm not sure it says that the censored scenes specifically reported from the screening are tge changes they're talking about. The changes BV seem to be talking about are op/close changes.

Read it again. The "Complete" edition will have OP/Closing changes, while the "theatrical version" will not, but BOTH will have the content edits.

If I recall correctly Kawamori hinted in the "The Men who Made Macross" documentary recently that he put in more exposition in the BD because he regrets not putting in some sort of prologue explanation about the SDF-1 having been launched from Earth and the war with the Zentradi etc, even though he specifically said that he didn't want to do that because it would detract from the main story, in a 1984 interview which I am translating and will be up in the next couple of days.

I have met Kawamori and we have had interesting conversations about the way the world works, society, and whatnot. I support his attitude towards his work, that he wants to send certain messages to young generations. That's fine. What really pisses me off is when creators seem to think their movies are still theirs after decades -- you created it, directed it, but now it's out there. The production is OVER. You are no longer the director.

Yes, let's make the Mona Lisa wink while we do restoration work on it. Why the hell not.

I don't even mind the edits that much, really (only the one instance of music change which I mentioned). It's just the principle that I find a completely wrong approach.

Oh, that and the lying -- because Theatrical Version should mean Theatrical Version. That's just re-writing history, now.

By the way, I'm guesstimating that the version we saw at the all-night preview was the "Theatrical Version" of the BD and the "Complete Version" will have the Flashback ending plus some other junk at the start. It might be just some onscreen text, but it could even just be the extra Saturn game footage! (a la Boinger!)

Your dream from years ago might finally come true.

It wasn't even a dream, more like a "misunderstanding". And in any case, watching a butchered version of DYRL should be nobody's dream. Why don't they subtitle this: "DIRECTOR'S CUT"? I guess lying shifts more numbers... Then again:

Edited by Renato

Next week will be very interesting for the fanbase, thats for sure. Quick poll, how many of us picked up the last DVD remaster a few years ago? I can't help but wonder if owning that has something to do with my not being bug by the prospect of changes in this release. Of course part of me thinks this is some kimd of elaborate scam set up by a group of fans who could'nt get LE preorders in and heard about the screening edits.

Read it again. The "Complete" edition will have OP/Closing changes, while the "theatrical version" will not, but BOTH will have the content edits.

If I recall correctly Kawamori hinted in the "The Men who Made Macross" documentary recently that he put in more exposition in the BD because he regrets not putting in some sort of prologue explanation about the SDF-1 having been launched from Earth and the war with the Zentradi etc, even though he specifically said that he didn't want to do that because it would detract from the main story, in a 1984 interview which I am translating and will be up in the next couple of days.

I have met Kawamori and we have had interesting conversations about the way the world works, society, and whatnot. I support his attitude towards his work, that he wants to send certain messages to young generations. That's fine. What really pisses me off is when creators seem to think their movies are still theirs after decades -- you created it, directed it, but now it's out there. The production is OVER. You are no longer the director.

Yes, let's make the Mona Lisa wink while we do restoration work on it. Why the hell not.

I don't even mind the edits that much, really (only the one instance of music change which I mentioned). It's just the principle that I find a completely wrong approach.

Oh, that and the lying -- because Theatrical Version should mean Theatrical Version. That's just re-writing history, now.

I agree. My feeling,much like with Star Wars or any other classic, is that the creator can do what ever he wants with his movie as long as he or the distribution company allows previous versions available. Ridley Scott has it right. He can insert Miss Piggy as Decker for all I care as long as he provides us with the theatrical version and now the Director's Cut.

That article still reads a little funky, so I'm not sure it says that the censored scenes specifically reported from the screening are tge changes they're talking about. The changes BV seem to be talking about are op/close changes.

Oh the cuts will stay the way they were at the recent theatrical screening, im sure. They get away with sounding vague in the article because the bulk of changes made are improvements - restoration, mistake fixes, etc. but Namco Bandai wouldn't bother answering questions or putting up statements unless it was in reaction to the word that's gotten out because of the theatrical screenings. They at, in other words, trying to pretentious their crap smells like roses and honey.

Having said that, we are talking about two split second cuts that do nothing to change the characters or story. I don't like it but then again if something like that is enough to cause you to stop supporting this franchise we all love then maybe it's not a matter of remembering love, but rather that you didn't know it to begin with?

I'll be waiting for the Clash of the Bionoids 30th anniv BD release with Carl Macek commentary while i enjoy the DYRL PS3 game.... at least that is a guaranteed new experience... :lol:

no but seriously....

i purposefully haven't watched DYRL in months so i can appreciate the beauty of it on Blu Ray. I think i'll quickly get over whatever minor changes were altered. And i think we all have several previous versions if we want to experience that random decapitated victim or a quick moment of Miriya's brutal assassination kills. I don't even care about the shower scene because wasn't she like 15 or something... :rolleyes:

That's a nice find, a lot better quality than the version I last saw. Thanks for posting. It would be nice to have extras like this in HD on the new BD release.

That's exactly what a remake of SDF Macross should look like. All they gotta do is use the original soundtrack and voices.

I so agree! But I'll add that if abbreviating the series like they did for False Songtress & Wings makes this more possible (4-ish hours?) I'd accept that too. However I would like some reconciliation between the look of SDF and that of DYRL (I noticed in this Pachinko version they pointed the Zentraedi ears!.. that's what I'm talking about!). Also some of the Macross: The First ideas are good too like the retooled Minmay falling scene.

Sorry if I'm off subject but this is the first time I've seen a discussion on the subject.

The changes aren't a deal breaker for me, either. The game and all the other extras in the LE box more than make up for the changes.

If I want to see the movie in its unchanged format, I'll just pop one of my older discs into my player.

I find it strange they think this is a good idea. For the new generation? Just who do they think is paying the premium price for the BDs?

I suspect this may have been something upper management had dictated on down because it "..makes good marketing sense.." and everyone else just have to follow their lead if they know what's good for them.

Either way, they're all going to have to face the oncoming nerd rage/storm.

I don't care about the game. To me, that's like saying we edited your Blu-ray of Lawrence of Arabia, but here's a video game where you can ride a camel. I actually wish it didn't come with the game. All the game did for me was make this more expensive to import.

I think it's a bit ridiculous to pay a couple hundred dollars for a movie on Blu-ray only to pop in a 13-year-old DVD to see it unedited. Maybe that's just me.

I didn't buy the HD remaster DVD because I had already moved to the HD formats by then. It seemed pointless to buy an HD remaster in standard definition. I've been waiting for this movie to arrive on Blu-ray since I adopted the format in late 2006. I had a hunch it might happen in 2012. That's a lot of waiting!

My guess is that it was Kawamori's decision to edit the film. In more recent years, it seems like he has become very "responsible" about the messages he wants his work to convey (note that I haven't seen the second Frontier movie, which apparently includes a massacre). Perhaps he thought the gore in DYRL detracted from the message of the movie.

I'm still buying it because I can't wait to own this movie in HD. I just hope the changes aren't too distracting.

Also: Minmay wasn't 15 in DYRL. They made her a few years older for the movie.

I don't care about the game. To me, that's like saying we edited your Blu-ray of Lawrence of Arabia, but here's a video game where you can ride a camel. I actually wish it didn't come with the game. All the game did for me was make this more expensive to import.

I'm still buying it because I can't wait to own this movie in HD. I just hope the changes aren't too distracting.

Also: Minmay wasn't 15 in DYRL. They made her a few years older for the movie.

WOW... did you just compare piloting a numerous amount of badass VF-1's to a riding a camel.... haaaaa... :D that's a first. Personally i just wish there was a full game instead of a sampler & visual upgrade from a few stages of the PSP version.

But to each his own.

Couple hundred?? yeah.... hell with that i'm getting the $85 version.

And i'm sure Minmai was still underage in DYRL. Although i think the age of consent in Japan is 14 so i guess it's a regional thing.

I agree, i think the seeing this in true HD BD will make it all forgivable.

HAAA!!! Surprised no one mad an animated gif.....

Ask and you shall receive...I made this one a few years back. ^_^

Actually...made one of both scenes in question.

post-31-0-42398200-1342862165.gif

post-31-0-67257000-1342862182.gif

Ask and you shall receive...I made this one a few years back. ^_^

Actually...made one of both scenes in question.

THANK YOU KIND SIR.

You are the man.

Now all our sadness of altered & deleted scenes can be null & void because now we can watch these gifs over & over for eternity.

WOW... did you just compare piloting a numerous amount of badass VF-1's to a riding a camel.... haaaaa... :D that's a first. Personally i just wish there was a full game instead of a sampler & visual upgrade from a few stages of the PSP version.

But to each his own.

Couple hundred?? yeah.... hell with that i'm getting the $85 version.

And i'm sure Minmai was still underage in DYRL. Although i think the age of consent in Japan is 14 so i guess it's a regional thing.

There is a Valkyrie called a Super Ostrich. That's almost the same thing, right?

Had to splash out for the Limited Edition since I've waited so long for this.

Minmay is 17 in the movie. Old enough for Hikaru to suggest going to a love motel...

What I'm most curious about now is this new opening. If they insert any animation that's newer than the Flash Back footage, I think the difference in style might be jarring.

It was more or less guaranteed that some hardcore fans would put this out with English subtitles, so I don't see what's stopping them from editing back in the original footage; it'd be a lot easier than that Star Wars project.

I will be watching reviews hopefully in the next few days to decide what I'm going to do. I'm fine with a director or company wanting to remaster, touch up, or whatever to their movies. But they have to release an original unaltered version as well. Even if the changes are as small as altering or blurring those two clips. I'm not about to pay $200+ for basically a lot of extras when there will be the potential of another true unedited release on a future format.