1/60 VF-0C/D Custom

Kurisama

First up; Wings, V-stabilizers (which will be attached to the wings, instead of making an entire new shin), Intakes (for canards) and maybe, just maybe a D-type head - if I can get my hands on another VF-0S, as that'll be an easier paint app than the VF-0A's grey. If the V-stabs look attrocious and I can't pull it off, I'll see if I have enough juice to make the shins.

Would you believe this is more difficult than the Rau's organic shapes? Yep. I guess it's casue the parts need to be EXACT in order for all the inter-locking parts to fit properly.

This should be the cheapest conversion I have planned (apart from the wing-clips + HMMs).

First up; Wings, V-stabilizers (which will be attached to the wings, instead of making an entire new shin), Intakes (for canards) and maybe, just maybe a D-type head - if I can get my hands on another VF-0S, as that'll be an easier paint app than the VF-0A's grey. If the V-stabs look attrocious and I can't pull it off, I'll see if I have enough juice to make the shins.

Kurisama, love your work. But there is lots to be done...

1. Delta wings

2. Redesigned legs

3. Conformal gap fillers from legs to wings

4. Mini-stabilizer wings at intakes (done)

5. VF-0D head

6. VF-0D Flap panels that mate under-fuselage to head unit

7. Large vertical wings to legs

6. Flush mounted hinges to legs

8. Dual seater configuration of cockpit

9. Dual seater canopy

I've just been thinking about doing this for a long time....

Keep up the great work.

Interesting, and where it heads has me interested. I like the fact that you are doing 3d Modeling to do you conversions. I have been thing of it my self. And that fact that your using a Digital Caliper has me interested. I first thought the best way would be to scan the basic plans from the Hasagawa kit, scale it up 1:1 and try and convert it from there. Then try and add the other parts and changes as needed. That is if you had a basic copy of the plans.

I am currently trying to upscale a X-N Rasier to 1:100 by drawing a scaled version from the model it self and then scaling it to it's correct dimensions then bring it back to the scale that I need then to the modes I need to poly caps and such in the file then get it printed out and see if it I worked it out right

I find your work interesting and the fact that I am a Mechanical Draftsman makes it even more interesting to to see how you do it. I am currently using AutoCAD and am starting to use AutoDesk Inventor for the serious stuff.

What software do you use?

And great to see your work

Kurisama, love your work. But there is lots to be done...

Oh don't I know it~!!! I'll say right now - I'm not doing the double seater cockpit or canopy.The D head and associated flaps are still on the very last to do list - like I said, if I can get my hands on a VF-0S - I will make it.

The gap fillers between the wing and leg are part of the leg as well as the v-stabs - and like I mentioned before, this too is at the end of the list and I'll be looking at ways around this before I commit to making the new shin.

The easiest part will be the wings - and the most fun - so I'll leave that as a treat to myself after the intakes.

Interesting, and where it heads has me interested. I like the fact that you are doing 3d Modeling to do you conversions. I have been thing of it my self. And that fact that your using a Digital Caliper has me interested. I first thought the best way would be to scan the basic plans from the Hasagawa kit, scale it up 1:1 and try and convert it from there. Then try and add the other parts and changes as needed. That is if you had a basic copy of the plans.

I am currently trying to upscale a X-N Rasier to 1:100 by drawing a scaled version from the model it self and then scaling it to it's correct dimensions then bring it back to the scale that I need then to the modes I need to poly caps and such in the file then get it printed out and see if it I worked it out right

I find your work interesting and the fact that I am a Mechanical Draftsman makes it even more interesting to to see how you do it. I am currently using AutoCAD and am starting to use AutoDesk Inventor for the serious stuff.

What software do you use?

And great to see your work

Hey Smegalot! Digital calipers - where would I be without them!? :D I recently bought a 1/72 hase kit from HLJ - they're a must for this - as is the kit itself, but unfortunately its not a straight duplication of parts.

What u wanna do with ur own project is pretty much how I'd tackle that. Whats a mechanical draftsman do exactly? I've attached a screen shot of a sample of images I'm using for this build, for those that are interested - don't think it gives away too many of my trade secrets... ^___^

post-1623-0-88807300-1341676726_thumb.jpg

I use Maya simply because I've used it for a decade - I work in games dev, but my love is toys and models - so as a good friend told me once; "Always play to your strengths".

Thanks again for the compliments - great to see the support from the MW community, I tell ya it seems like I'm working in a void here in my study!

Enjoy the not-so-far-along WIP pics - didn't get much time to work on it today.

post-1623-0-63742900-1341676718_thumb.jpg

A mechanical draftsman sort of draws mechanical parts which are used for a building process. I currently draw Gas Regulator stations and meter stations. I think of it as an interactive Lego kit.

But I can apply the same basic principle to models. etc. The more that I look at it I can think of how they use cad to design model kits and how they get most of it to work together these days. And make em give great respect to the guy's that used to do it before this technology was available

Update!

Intake is 85% complete - the insert (closed vent panel bits?) are just a quick proxy - I'll see how I go with it. Working on the mechanics of the canard folding both ways (down flush for gerwalk and behind the intake in battroid) as seen in the anime.

Will be interesting to see how well it fits on the VF-0A, all the little greebly tabs and slots are so intricate and fiddly - I wont be surprised if I have tweak the model once I get the pieces in-hand. Not a lot of margin for error here :(

Any ways, enjoy.

post-1623-0-93303800-1341841974_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-78463800-1341841978_thumb.jpg

It looks like it will be quite a bit larger then the 1:72. Thankfully you should most likely have to probably only draw one side then mirror it for the side to be correct. Bit it looks like quite a bit of work.

Keep going your going great, and your progession as you go is good to see.

Sorry Mommar! If it makes u feel better, there isn't a limited production run on these!

I for one am going to use some of the hard-point parts I made for the VF-4 (if I can get one... or two) to slap some missiles on that baby...

457680_10150703157726604_861945737_o.jpg

Talking of missiles - any one know what kind of missiles the VF-0D has in the anime? They look vaguely sidewinder-ish, but I know nothing of official or technical specs on missiles - can provide screen shots if need be - and also the 6-sided tube that magically has holes and then not in every scene. Can anyone shed any light or art on them?

Wow. This could be awesome.

You know, I've never appreciated how useful it is that you can just pop the tails off the VF-0 until now. :lol:

Fun question though.. aside from replacing a few parts, what mods will this require to the original parts? The legs and wings are plenty easy to swap in and out, so the majority of the work looks like it wouldn't even require any permanent changes to the stock VF-0. You could potentially change it back and forth as you liked. :)

no anime but I hope be useful

Thank you Valhary! They'll come in handy for sure! I'll just use the payload that come with the Ghost for the C and make new parts later down the track for the D, which will require screen capping from the anime.

Wow. This could be awesome.

You know, I've never appreciated how useful it is that you can just pop the tails off the VF-0 until now. :lol:

Fun question though.. aside from replacing a few parts, what mods will this require to the original parts? The legs and wings are plenty easy to swap in and out, so the majority of the work looks like it wouldn't even require any permanent changes to the stock VF-0. You could potentially change it back and forth as you liked. :)

Basically it will only require parts swapping and painting of said parts - so colour matching will need to be tackled. I am planning on giving my C custom a 2-tone dark grey scheme. So yeah - u could potentially switch it back and forth!

Anyways, didn't get any time to work on this the last 2 and a bit days, but I got a few hours in today and the wings have been bulked out and fine details to be added soon. Stay tuned!

You do realize..

Those are the other missile packs carried by the VF-171s in Macross Frontier. They seriously reused all the weapons the VF-0s carried then, I just never noticed it.

We've just never seen those hexagonal packs made yet, since they weren't carried by the VF-0A or S.

Looking beatiful! :D

You do realize..

Those are the other missile packs carried by the VF-171s in Macross Frontier. They seriously reused all the weapons the VF-0s carried then, I just never noticed it.

We've just never seen those hexagonal packs made yet, since they weren't carried by the VF-0A or S.

Looking beatiful! :D

Y'know... They look awfully similar if not exactly the same!

And thanks for the compliment Chrono - please enjoy these too;

post-1623-0-11815000-1342447874_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-04232900-1342447877_thumb.jpg

Maybe not exactly the same, true, but I'm really anxious to see whether the hardpoints used for the VF-171 replacement wings are compatible with Yamato weapons.

Any decision yet on what to do for the new calves? You almost need an entire custom leg, so you wouldn't have to swap pieces in and out.. but that would mean new feet, gear, and everything else that goes along with it. Quite the undertaking, unfortunately.

Personally, I'm just excited about the possibility of a kit I could swap in and out, so I wouldn't need to permanently change one of my VF-0s, but it might not be all that practical when it comes to the legs.

Any decision yet on what to do for the new calves? You almost need an entire custom leg, so you wouldn't have to swap pieces in and out.. but that would mean new feet, gear, and everything else that goes along with it. Quite the undertaking, unfortunately.

Personally, I'm just excited about the possibility of a kit I could swap in and out, so I wouldn't need to permanently change one of my VF-0s, but it might not be all that practical when it comes to the legs.

I think I'm going to have to make the new calves... poop. It doesn't however mean new feet or gear - just the 2 halves really - and it might be worth it too, especially with what I want to do next... O___o

The intakes with the canards will require you to pull apart the thighs and the wing swap also requires you to take out 3 screws that hold the back plate together - shins would be much the same, but u have to remove a couple of screw covers.

In any case - please enjoy the update I had some time to do today - this is quickly becoming a game of when I get a spare few hours each day!

post-1623-0-52701300-1342502652_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-45306800-1342502654_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-05162000-1342502656_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-80695700-1342502657_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-56823400-1342502659_thumb.jpg

I was thinking more for those of us with lesser modeling abilities that it might be easy to make that part either too large or too small (with the sanding/painting) to keep the intakes fitting together correct. Though it is semi-exposed in Battroid, the wings cover it for the most part.

The trick to those nubs is, they were always too small to hold the intakes in place to begin with. This might make them actually useful.:lol:

Looking awesome, I guess the only real way to do this would be to get a spare VF-0 to kitbash then, because most of the parts will have to come from an original.

Any particular reason you're modeling the intake covers and internals though? If we have to take the whole leg apart anyway, we'll have the original pieces to use from there, and it'll save you some material cost.

Looking awesome, I guess the only real way to do this would be to get a spare VF-0 to kitbash then, because most of the parts will have to come from an original.

Any particular reason you're modeling the intake covers and internals though? If we have to take the whole leg apart anyway, we'll have the original pieces to use from there, and it'll save you some material cost.

All of my releases are going to be kitbashes!

Reason I made the intake covers is that I haven't been able to 100.00% match the interior of the intakes to allow that particular piece to sit perfectly - so I'll be making my own that I know will fit properly - I am also going to make them attached I think, as I hate it when they pop out and all my valks have them in anyways. Material cost wise, it'd change the price by a few cents at the most.

Finished the wing end pivots for the delta wing done - I'm a little concerned at the seemingly fragile piece - but worst case scenario I will remove the smaller pin and just get some 2mm x 10mm metal rods to put in there. Will work on the canard pivots next.

post-1623-0-48052300-1342576833_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-30087100-1342576836_thumb.jpg

post-1623-0-10332500-1342576839_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-96199000-1342576842_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kurisama