At least I can afford to buy this. The ThreeA version was too big and too expensive. Shouldn't be too much work building it, though I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to go the whole nine yards with the detailing and weathering. But even a clean build with minimal paint should look good on this.

MG rex kit, awesome. :D

Kotobukiya, fail. :(

:edit:

can't really see it on the picture here, but one of the text blurbs does mention 20cm, so I think that's how big it'll be.

actually, that would make it just about half the size of 3A's REX, probably around 1/100's then (3A's was supposed to be 1/48th scale).

Edited by anime52k8

I looked at the white glint kit in person once and the pearl plastic finish looked absolutely awful so I passed on it. I have, however built a couple of their HMM Zoids kits as well as one of their frame arms figures, they were all disappointingly rickety and unstable, and they all required tones of paint and decals to look like they do in the box art despite only coming with stickers and having pathetically limited pre-applied paint apps. I've also bought several painted PVC figures by Kotobukiya and they were all incredibly lackluster with disappointing paint quality and soft sculpts.

Basically I've never bought a Kotobukiya figure that I wasn't disappointed in.

I wonder if they released some fancy pearl coated white glint, since the kit I have doesn't look any different than usual white kit plastic.

Haven't tried to build it yet though. So many tiny parts, it makes the Bandai VF-25 kits look incredibly simple and rock solid.

I've only built the Kotobukiya AC Aaliyah Krasnaya, but overall it's not half bad. The parts are ridiculously numerous and small, but it serves to make a very detailed and realistic figure. The only thing I disliked about the kit was that the shoulders were split right down the middle. If they had found a way to leave the shoulder cover as a single piece, it would be perfect.

The joints are very tight; in fact, I think they're TOO tight. While the kit lacks leg mobility, it's due to the source material and not the kit itself.

The AC kits are certainly not of the shake-n-bake type, but the quality of their moldings and the level of detail prove that Koto is the right manufacturer for the kind of machines like the Rex. And judging a kit by the color of the unpainted plastic - come on.

I got pretty decent results with my Aaliyah.

4971544251_83d8326aec_z.jpg

Aaliyah album

The AC kits are certainly not of the shake-n-bake type, but the quality of their moldings and the level of detail prove that Koto is the right manufacturer for the kind of machines like the Rex. And judging a kit by the color of the unpainted plastic - come on.

I got pretty decent results with my Aaliyah.

If a kit has pre-applied paint and tampographs with no decals to recreate said markings should you desire to repaint it, then you've really got to choice but to judge a kit by the color and paintwork on the out of box parts.

Edited by anime52k8

Those releases are aimed at the collector/toy crowd, not the modelers who sand, putty and paint their kits. Blame Koto for making dubious marketing decisions, but this has nothing to do with the quality of their AC line from a modeler's perspective.

Their kits are far from high quality, but I still love Kotobukiya for the sheer amount of variety in AC kits they have. Hell, they've made all three versions of Nineball into model kits, and even have slightly more obscure ones like Stinger's Vixen from Project Phantasma(though I passed that up in favor of a SRW OG Gespenst Kai).

As a side note, I've noticed that videogames have been getting much love lately. We've seen in recent times models for ZOE and even Ikaruga (which has more of a cult shooter status), and now this. Even R-Type is on the horizon.

indeed. even something as relitively obscure as the AS-E53 "LEYNOS" Assault Suit

from the old 1990 SEGA MEGA DRIVE/GENESIS game "ASSAULT SUIT LEYNOS" has seen it's very own 1/35 plamo,

as well as at least two variants, to my knowledge, since early/mid 2011;

http://en.wikipedia....lt_Suits_series

http://www.gundammod...ted-sample.html

Edited by Shaorin

• 5 weeks later...

I think Kotobukiya products are fantastic. Sure, Bandai's kits are from another world, but then again who can really compete with them.

There have been a few misses with Koto's anime figures, but hell Bandai also doesn't have such a great record there.

So judging them on unpainted plastic kits, and the few odd figures, is rather miss-leading.

As for the plastic being softer than Bandai's? Then what is Hasegawa's Macross line? The amount of cleaning and filling of those kits was insane, yet still awesome when finished.

And Bandai makes playable kits. Kotobukiya makes kits for the traditional modeller.