I hope so, since the Rex definitely needs support to stand. Seeing that the base has an interlocking design, maybe we'll get a Ray in the future, too.

I'm pretty sure that's just a floor plate form one of their chain base sets

3636059689_5864b9dd67.jpg

Kotobukiya Mechanical Chain Base 2 by AntSizedMan, on Flickr

Edited by anime52k8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm a little confused by the pics. Isn't that teal-colored Ray supposed to be the Three A one that costs 400 USD?

Not sure if the one below is the Kotobukiya kit or a different color scheme of the Three A Ray.

BTW, I've never seen a teal Ray before. IIRC, the Rays that showed up in MSG2 and 4 were olive drab. And the one Raiden fought in MGR had the Desperado LLC colors.

http://main.kotobukiya.co.jp/pk/mgs4/mgray.html

WE GOTTA TRY, SNAKE! EVEN IF RAY WAS DESIGNED TO FIGHT REX!

Thanks for clarifying that, but what's with the teal colors? I googled some pics of MGS4 Ray just ot make sure I didn't remember it wrongly, and it wasn't teal, and it certainly wasn't glossy.

It's hard to tell from the in-game lighting, but it looks more gray rather than teal.

The colors are somewhat dubious in the concept art for MGS 4, but I also think that Kotobukiya went a bit overboard with the teal. The lighter metallic version seems a better match.

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120223015122/metalgear/images/d/d0/Ray.jpg

Interestingly, the Three A Ray has similar, more saturated colors.

3A-MGS-Metal-Gear-Ray-2.jpg

If I get the Ray, I'll go with the MGS 2 colors.

Color proto shots are out for 3A RAY? I totally missed that.

so 3A RAY is infinately better than Kotobukiya's ray could ever hope to be... but $490 is a LOT more than $90... :wacko:

Edited by anime52k8

Guest davidwhangchoi

does this come with a nuclear warhead in the kit? the 3a rail gun lights up really cool but i wonder if this model has a shell included.

though it's capable of launching a nuke in any terrain. metal gear never seems to be able to launch a nuke :wacko: (rex) kit looks good!

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I own 3A Rex but I think I'm gonna skip on 3A Ray...as much as it pains me I can't afford the space and since Ray was never as cool as Rex to me, I gotta draw a line. I might pick up the kit though.

From Hobbysearch's product description translation:

"Swastika type camouflage characteristic can be reproduced in the decal attached."

that's an interesting way of describing it.

3A Ray:

With a wingspan of 98 cm it's ready to take over your house.

kind of a bummer that it can't stand up on it's own without the stand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I pre-ordered a Koto Black Metal Gear Rex and a Metal Gear Ray. I've seen shots of both of models opened and all of there plastic racks and what-not spread out, Ray looks like he will be pretty clean without paint, so I'm just going to build him, and ditto with Black Rex, I hate painting with a fiery passion so I'm glad these two will still look pretty excellent just put together.

• 1 month later...

Just received my MG Ray kit! The box itself is a work of art!

After reading the manual, I've no idea how I'm ever going to be able to replicate those glossy colors with Tamiya paints. While Tamiya has most of the equivalent colors, the same relative color from different brands will result in a slightly different tone. Mixing several different equivalent colors from a different company is almost guaranteed to result in an inaccurate color.

The colors were also quite weird, at least two clears mixed with solid colors.

I think I'll just stick to the concept art colors and just do an unpainted build. Will definitely do some panel lining and maybe copper or gold on the metal parts to highlight the kit and give it some contrast, though.

Ray looks pretty good in matte colors--looks like they went with neutral gray. Almost reminds me of the ZOE Jehuty's colors. It's just crazy how hard this thing's colors are to pin down. The images from the game seems to shift between a pale grayish green to a drab olive and gray mixture.

I might go for a full paint job and color it like that image in the magazine. The contrast between the pale gold and matte gray is gorgeous. Besides, it's a good idea to paint the kit, as there will be some sprue marks and seam lines in some rather noticeable places like the shins. If you want to hide those by sanding and filling the seam lines, there's no choice but to paint over everything.

I can't wait to build the kit, Indigo, but right now, I'm in the middle of building a DMK Bumblebee kit. I'll have to finish that one first before taking on the Ray...hopefully by mid-May.

BTW, I'd love to see your take on the Ray--if there's anyone who can do justice to this kit, it's you!

Edited by GU-11

gloss kind of works on Ray though given that it's wet most of the time.

Good point.

Personally, it's not an option for me because of I don't have their recommended brand of paints. Using equivalent paints from another brand might make it inaccurate at best, and turn out like crap at worst. I'm just not sure about mixing solid and clear colors together.