1/1 Scale Destroid Dream

Steve71

Okay, my dream is to buy a small farm, mainly for the barn, and just paint, sculpt, etc., and write to pay the bills. I have two scuplture gardens in mind (If you're going to dream, put in the details). the first is animals of the african plains - giraffe, elephant, tigers, etc. The second is a Destroid Park.

So, my question is, how would you build a 1/1 scale Destroid?

Two immediate thoughts are pvc tubes for light framing and metal for the legs and core. Have some sort of simple turret like mechanism so the torso can move.

My guidelines - for fun and need to survive all types of Minnesota outdoor weather.

Your thoughts on buidling a 1/1 Destroid (skills needed, construction technique, resources, etc.) and what should go in a Destroid Park.

Okay, 1/4 scale - that's more like it.

Edited by Steve71

1:1 HWR-00 Monster Mk II... anything else would be uncivilized... :p

Construction techniques: take a page from the Statue of Liberty... lattice (welded tubular steel should work and be very strong) inner frame with thin metal sheething for the "skin".

Edit: BTW, you're nuts!.. a wonderful sort of nuts. ^_^

Edited by mechaninac

No denying the nuts part, but I knew learning to weld would be a part of the project. Welded tubular steel - my first direction to go. Thanks.

Check out my hero, builder of the Forevertron in Wisconsin: http://www.neatorama.com/2007/09/11/forevertron-worlds-largest-scrap-metal-sculpture-by-dr-evermor/

This guy was getting all the heavy machinery from a plant he worked at and turned it into great scupltures.

i recall seeing pics of a Madcat play 'house' that a father built for his kids some time ago... i dunno if it was actually SAFE to play in... not to discourage you but you really have to have established mechanical skills before you do something like that...

I'm definitely a jump in and learn along the way type of guy. I'm assuming I'd be working up to the build - and think scuplture garden - mechs you can walk around but not climb in. I even figured I could combine the two and use the animals to create a sense of scale. Or maybe make little 1/4 cars, so people get scale that way.

Skills needed: #1 Welding, and how cool would it be to be welding parts for a Tomahawk, even at 1/4 scale?

#2 - structural design so I don't kill myself under a bunch of crumpled metal.

I could go the almost all plastic route, with metal support, too.

First of all, I love this topic! If you're gunna dream, dream big.....then make it happen!

It sounds like you have your head in the right spot: Learn all you can in the way of educating yourself in various builing techniques and by no means let the fire die. When I made the transition from oil painting to large scale sculpture, I quickly realized I needed to gain new skill sets to achieve the work I wanted. The empowerment you reep will keep the dream alive.

Now if I was dreaming of a 1/1 scale destroid, I envision a downed Phalanx, craddled into the earth with one of its missile pods converted into a small pool/fountain, or better yet....a jacuzzi!

Ahab,

Now that is sweet - I think the Phalanx is underappreciated (at least I did at first). I have only just begun to think about the state of the mechs. Pristine, battle damaged, and now reconverted wrecks! A damaged Monster screams waterslide potential to me. Those are some big cannons/covered slides.

Of course, one Zentradi fighter, nose to the ground and skeleton in body armor, small mimmei toy in his hand will have to be somewhere in the mix.

Where did you start gaining the sculpting skills? I know I can get some basics at a local community college, and I like having teachers and projects to get me started. Your thoughts/experience...

• 3 weeks later...

Shouldn't dreams/fantasies be in the fanfiction section? Frak! I thought someone was really doing a 1/1 scale Destroid. I mean, it's not entirely impossible, what with the 1/1 scale Gundam, 1/1 scale Votom and 1/1 scale VF-25 being built. I know a metal fabricator guy and also a company that builds playgrounds with styrofoam/expanding foam. With the right amount of money, I'm sure it can be done. 1/1 scale Strike Valk in Fighter mode was my fantasy.

Me and the metal fab guy were actually considering getting together and building a life-size Bumblebee using a Volkswagon Beetle parts from various wreckers. Estimates would place the cost to about $60,000 and a year to build, maybe less if that's all he worked on straight through. And costwise, maybe even less if he didn't have to do the design work.