Old news. I thought we already had a thread. I could be wrong. I think primary shooting may even be wrapped.

I loved the first novel. The sequels were a turgid mess. Right now, Enders Game is the only movie being made. Enders Shadow is not yet on the radar.

• 10 months later...

Ive never read the book (seems like something my minions would read however) but at a glance, does this movie smack of Brokeback Airforce in some ways? (of course i have no idea who the 'bad guys' are in this upcoming film...)

TehPW, read the book, and don't make that inference from the trailer. I am definitely taking my boys to see this. The trailer is misleading in a lot of ways, probably to suck in the folks who never read the book, but it looks fairly accurate so far. It better be I know that. So do yourself a favor folks, if you haven't read Ender's Game, do so before this comes out.

The book is great but the more I think about it, kinda hard to imagine a movie doing it justice. That and the fact that this year has so many releases kinda makes me wonder if this will get lost in the crowd.

I read Ender's Game in high school, from what I remember of it I don't know if I actually want to see a movie version of it.

I read the book a few times. Loved it (and Speaker for the Dead (not so much the books after that)) so much that I know I don't want to see this movie.

I think if the movie sticks to the cenral theme of the book, which I believe to be: "How far are you willing to go to win a war?", it could be awesome.

The problem for me (same problem I had with a whole bunch of movies, from Dune, to Troy, to Watchmen, to Inventing the Abbots) is that I like the book too much to see it "stick to the central theme" and (usually) lose what I liked in the first place.

If it turns out to be a good movie, that's cool. But I probably won't see it, regardless. I don't need that kind of stress. :D

Edited by Gubaba

• 2 months later...

Ok I can accept them changing the invasion with its battles being a terrestrial one, but that video really seems to change how Rackam really won the battle, maybe it is just the propaganda version and not what Enders discovers

You know, I think this is why I stopped reading all these good books that people talk about. As the creativity of Hollywood dries up like a desert, they all wind up being made into movies, and then everyone feels let down because the movies aren't as good.

Ever since Harry Potter, I've taken to waiting for the movie to be made, and then read the book after. I haven't been let down since. :p

Not me. I either trip over good books on my own, like I did with Ender's Game in high school, or I catch up on them after getting a good lead. That's how I discovered Alfred Bester's classics. I'm also one who tries to read a book before seeing the movie. Sometimes that's a lesson in frustration if my time is limited and the movie is good.

Of course, on another note, I was in high school before Card was called out for being anti-gay and writing questionable words (buggers). As a fairly isolated teenager reading the book, I didn't get half of the nuances or double entendres that critics ended up using as fodder against him. I still do not really understand it, because I think fiction has a right to be isolated from the reality of the world around it. The author? It's not my place to judge him.

Anyway, I enjoyed the first three books, zipping through both Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide when they hit the shelves at my local library. I'm not sure if Children of the Mind was necessary. The plot and characters just seem off. For me, the Bean books were merely okay---all of them quick reads, though. Bean, himself, was a tough character to gravitate toward because I didn't grow up on the street. Some of Card's narration in regard to Bean's upbringing is also more fantastic and startling when compared to Ender's. And there are other, spoilerific issues that I have with the recap shadow stories, but that's for another topic.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a long while since I read the books but, I thought Ender never knew he was actually leading a real battle - thinking it was just another test the whole time, at least not till after it was all done. The move makes it seem like he knows. Am I remembering it correctly?

Yes. After battle school, the kids start running simulations that they believe are preparing them for the next war. It's been a while since I read the book, but I think it was sometime before the definitive skirmish that Ender and his team figured it out. Of course, Ender was helped along in his understanding by the Hive Queen. These events caused Ender to leave Earth in disgrace and his brother Peter to become Hegemon. Or something like that... :)