CF18

That Minmei does look impressive, but not worth the 18k yen (?) that Arcadia is asking for. 

Honestly saying, it should be around the 9k - 10k yen range.  The Spirits Kuji Sheryl is worth the 6.8k yen (all three versions) if you got it when it came out and now asking 8k yen on Manda (versions A & B). Regardless it looks way better than the two EXQ versions of Sheryl. 

9 hours ago, Lolicon said:

What kills it for me is the fact that, since she's a 3D printed figure, she looks like a 3D printed figure. Instead of being nice and smooth like a standard anime PVC figure, you can see all the banding on the surface where the filament was laid down.

Now this is my first 3D printed figure, so maybe my expectations were too high and that this is par for the course for 3D printed figures? Maybe, but at this price point, I think Arcadia should have just produced her as a standard anime PVC figure, with some clear green parts for her big green round jewels. That would have looked 10x better, even as a mid-level quality anime figure.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  That's too bad about the banding.  I feel like 1/8 would've been better for the price point.

12 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Instead of being nice and smooth like a standard anime PVC figure, you can see all the banding on the surface where the filament was laid down.

Filament?  I doubt they used a cheap FDM printer for these.

It's more likely you're seeing the voxelization produced by a DLP process, which (despite being inferior to SLA printing) is considerably faster than the alternatives.  They'd have to be running multiple printers simultaneously to mass-produce these as it is, and SLA techniques could've set the release back by months.

Either way, I'm shocked and disappointed by the results.  :unsure:

On 5/5/2019 at 8:19 PM, Lolicon said:

Just got back from out of town and this was waiting for me.

1662409436_MinmayFB201201.thumb.jpg.192622bcb909be8044e9e82792ba563e.jpg

So what are my thoughts?

Short version: The most disappointing Arcadia Macross purchase I've ever made. I can't recommend it.

Longer version:

Okay, so she's a 3D printed figure and though technically non-scale, I'd peg her around 1/10 scale. She's right at 15 cm tall with her stand. She comes with a mini screwdriver and a couple of screws; she needs to be screwed into her display stand. Only one screw is needed, but you get two in case you lose one, I guess.

I've been wanting a good quality Minmay figure since forever and was hoping this release would finally fill that niche, as the only Minmay figures I own are a tiny CM trading figure and an SQ game prize figure. Unfortunately this falls short.

The design/art of the figure is great. Unlike the Gutto kuru figure from years back, this one actually looks exactly like Minmay, as if she was lifted straight out of FB2012.

What kills it for me is the fact that, since she's a 3D printed figure, she looks like a 3D printed figure. Instead of being nice and smooth like a standard anime PVC figure, you can see all the banding on the surface where the filament was laid down.

Now this is my first 3D printed figure, so maybe my expectations were too high and that this is par for the course for 3D printed figures? Maybe, but at this price point, I think Arcadia should have just produced her as a standard anime PVC figure, with some clear green parts for her big green round jewels. That would have looked 10x better, even as a mid-level quality anime figure.

At a distance (more than, say, half a meter away), under normal room lighting, she actually looks great. It's only when you get closer (and have a super bright light for photo taking like I do) that the imperfections really come to light, so to speak. I have her sitting on my desk right now as I type this and she looks nice.

So I'm glad to finally have a Minmay figure, but I wish she was better produced (when seen up close).

432329965_MinmayFB201202.thumb.jpg.c158ddba4365510e15a5e2eda59c8486.jpg

499698981_MinmayFB201203.thumb.jpg.feb8ab77e2527a1429b0ba6d56d3eeab.jpg

97407943_MinmayFB201204.jpg.888871f5f35253574eeae7311e62537e.jpg

Thanks for the review and pictures. I don't know about this one. Good thing I was slow in deciding to order. Usually I have zero doubts about figures that I order. I know companies can do better and larger scale versions. Perhaps a company will see this and do a Macross the movie version now.

Having collecting only Macross valks, I thought the valk-only displays in my collection looked a bit.. sterile. So recently I set out to get some character figures to match them. When Arcadia announced this FB2012 Minmay, I was piqued to perhaps match it with the HMR & Arcadia VF-4s , but really not too excited about its rather high price. :wacko:

It appears that the only other FB2012 Minmay made (I could be wrong), was the Toy Book figure back in 2004, and today it arrived at my door. :)

nz0Laih.jpg

The sculpt isn't too sharp, the colours look flat & bit washed out, but its a pretty decent for a figure of that era I guess. More of trading figure quality, like the CM's. Here it is with the HMR VF-4.

IA14Tmw.jpg

Another view with Arcadia's VF-4G.

udMwk4e.jpg

Size comparison with the CM's DYRL Minmay.

Wjr7IDV.jpg

View of her rear.

23 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

BBTS just sent me an email advertising these:

unnamed.jpg.9003280a73d0a4ff12896f4f3202a891.jpg

:blink::fool:

YECH

Why is Dudley Do Right in a Macross flight suit?

What has Gloval been smoking in his pipe?

Edit:

I thought these were a joke.  I just went to BBTS to check, and holy spit!  They're real.  These are real promo pics.  Toynami is actually using these as real promo pics.

I honestly had no idea that one on the far left was supposed to be Ben.  All of them look like someone's first kitbash.  Glovals eyes aren't even on right, and the paint application isn't even "in the lines"

And they're like... "Yeah, this is good enough to show to potential customers."

Edited by GabrielV

17 minutes ago, GabrielV said:

I thought these were a joke.  I just went to BBTS to check, and holy spit!  They're real.  These are real promo pics.  Toynami is actually using these as real promo pics.

I wish this were a joke.

These have no business being modern figures, whatsoever. They look like dollar store shelfwarmers.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

3 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I wish this were a joke.

These have no business being modern figures, whatsoever. They look like dollar store shelfwarmers.

And what they are asking for these is ridiculous.  Seem like poorly made knock offs from the 1980's, because even KOs today look better than this.

I want posable Claudia, Misa, and Glovals as much as the next fan, but geez this is laughable.  

Just now, Convectuoso said:

On other news:

FB_IMG_1558120345355.jpg.7e2dadbdc2fab5be97b1dd0385ceca4b.jpg

They improved the colors a lot

Bring on the Big Guy!

22 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Wow Kakizaki lost a lot of weight! 

He didn't lose it, it just got transferred to his head...  :blink:

Removing his helmet now requires a surgical procedure, which will likely result in the patient's death.  :unsure:

5 hours ago, jenius said:

Don't forget the Toynami figures are 4" tall, you'll never look at them as close as those pictures.

Sure, I'll bet they look fine from the other side of the room... if the room is sufficiently large.

And poorly-lit.

And you squint.  <_<

4 hours ago, sh9000 said:

I’m gonna get a kick out of that Breetai.

E26421B9-4975-4DAF-8648-3EDF3EBD204D.gif.1e9f7b5fde7c54baee1a93ad3310b867.gif

That's a good combo that Bretai player is pulling off.  Whoever's playing as the Hikaru pilot needs to block more.

Just now, seti88 said:

Man, getting a kick from a giant zentradi right in the torso/chest ie fuselage area. That must be one awesome shock absorbing pilot seat/seatbelt for Hikaru.

He might as well have stuffed Hikaru in a jar and vigorously shaken it

lol, what a mental image THAT made...

Lol Hikaru is one tough nut! Couldn't believe my eyes when i saw that scene...he survived that?!

And zentradi guns must be powered by protoculture cos they are as light as a feather with no recoil...smh....

thanks for jogging the memory jvm!

*plus he is a marksman too! headshot!

Edited by seti88

2 hours ago, slide said:

He might as well have stuffed Hikaru in a jar and vigorously shaken it

lol, what a mental image THAT made...

wasnt there a stuck in a jar scene in dyrl? did they ever get shaken in a jar in sdfm/dyrl? haha...

5 hours ago, kajnrig said:

he super casually fired a big ass gun in her general direction without so much as a moment's hesitation.

...with his eyes closed!

1761209040_eyesclosed.jpg.fdda7569bc41d1b6f305508351e3a652.jpg

6 hours ago, seti88 said:

plus he is a marksman too! headshot!

With his eyes closed!

239237811_thewholetime.jpg.0da489bfee16c57d4004917a82e3c4b7.jpg

...the whole time.

He's got Hawkeye's aim, Wolverine's resilience, Hulk's strength, and Captain America's indomitable spirit, all in an Ant-Man sized package.

Eat your heart out, MCU.  :lol:

From the episode above, there is recoil as hikaru continues blasting, which a laser doesn't do....lol suddenly am a weapons expert :lol:

Also there is clearly gravity on board ship since there are all standing on the floor, so no, the gun isn't weightless...lol suddenly am a physics expert :lol:

5 hours ago, tekering said:

...with his eyes closed!

With his eyes closed!

...the whole time.

He's got Hawkeye's aim, Wolverine's resilience, Hulk's strength, and Captain America's indomitable spirit, all in an Ant-Man sized package.

hikaru is worthy to lift up....errr a giant gun....:p

23 hours ago, tekering said:

...with his eyes closed!

With his eyes closed!

...the whole time.

:rofl:

On 5/17/2019 at 3:02 PM, Sanity is Optional said:

BBTS just sent me an email advertising these:

unnamed.jpg.9003280a73d0a4ff12896f4f3202a891.jpg

:blink::fool:

YACK, DECULTURE!

Fixed ;)

In all fairness the last release looked better in real life than the prototype figure promo shots, but they still didn't look much like the character they were supposed to be.  If I can pick them up dirt cheap at Gamestop like wave 1 I'll pick them up just to have them.  Who know maybe someone can 3D print better heads one day. :unknw:

Edited by sharky