CF18

I need to find a good figure of her that won't break the bank, any suggestions?

True. The best one out there that is good size is the Gutto-Kuru figure. But man, it's so expensive now for that size to get one. :unsure:

4.jpg

True. The best one out there that is good size is the Gutto-Kuru figure. But man, it's so expensive now for that size to get one. :unsure:

4.jpg

Glad I was able to get an unopened one from Mandarake for a good price. There were actually two for sale that time. The other one, MINT IN MINT BOX, was double the price I got for my mint in NOT SO MINT box.

Looks like a great figure, but for the price its going for now I'll pass :(

There's always this one.

http://myfigurecollection.net/item/121343

It's a prize figure so not amazingly detailed, plus it's a crossover with Frontier so she's wearing one of Sheryl's outfits

However she regularly pops up on Mandarake for $6 or so...

Looks like a great figure, but for the price its going for now I'll pass :(

There's always this one.

It's a prize figure so not amazingly detailed, plus it's a crossover with Frontier so she's wearing one of Sheryl's outfits

True. And I prefer that face even more than the Gutto Kuru. And also why I asked on the FAQ thread if anyone here kinda switch heads with Ranka. I don't have one so I don't know if Minmay's hair at the back is fixed on the backside of the body. If not, then it will be just cut and glue. Though the callenge will be is the Sheryl's cap on Minmay's head. ;)

Guess, I'll have to try that one out if I don't get any response on it. :rolleyes:

Edited by no3ljm

There's always this one.

Thank Moosey, I have seen pics of that around its a good price so I may end up picking one up when one pops up again on Manda. Hopefully with the resurgence of Macross interest thanks to Delta, a company will release 1/8 Minmei in DYRL dress.

For me the Gotto Kurou is the finest Minmay figure ever, in terms of both quality and carrying spirit of original character design.

Any other nominations for great Minmay figures from the past?

This new Max figure looks very modern and cute, but doesn't remind me much of Mikimoto's design.

True. And I prefer that face even more than the Gutto Kuru. And also why I asked on the FAQ thread if anyone here kinda switch heads with Ranka. I don't have one so I don't know if Minmay's hair at the back is fixed on the backside of the body. If not, then it will be just cut and glue. Though the callenge will be is the Sheryl's cap on Minmay's head. ;)

Guess, I'll have to try that one out if I don't get any response on it. :rolleyes:

Believe me Noel, I've thought about it, but as you said, the cap is the issue!

Passed on the CM Minmay many times. I think it's a horrendous looking figure by today's figure standards. Best Minmay figure out there? Probably. A great figure in general? Uhhh... :p

Come on Megahouse, give us a better Minmay!

Although I have tons of 'em, I'm not a figure aficionado. I know you're into figures, so I take your word for it. But educate me, why is it horrendous from a figure collector's perspective? Looks fine to me.

Still, I would take another GREAT Minmay figure any day.

Edited by arbit

Believe me Noel, I've thought about it, but as you said, the cap is the issue!

It's nice that I'm not the only one who thought about this. :rolleyes: Thanks Moosey! ^_^

But I might buy those two soon... just in case. :lol:

Passed on the CM Minmay many times. I think it's a horrendous looking figure by today's figure standards. Best Minmay figure out there? Probably. A great figure in general? Uhhh... :p

Come on Megahouse, give us a better Minmay!

I'm hoping we'll get some Macross The First Minmays at some point. Although with Delta in full swing I'm not too hopeful.

Edited by sharky

Although I have tons of 'em, I'm not a figure aficionado. I know you're into figures, so I take your word for it. But educate me, why is it horrendous from a figure collector's perspective? Looks fine to me.

Still, I would take another GREAT Minmay figure any day.

For me, the sculpt is terrible. Doesn't look anything like Minmay. Much worse than all the off-face Sheryls we've gotten over the years. And that facial expression looks less like singing and more like she's having her temperature taken rectally.

Now at the time the figure came out (2008) it would have been an average quality figure. And it had a retail price of only 4500 yen. So it was a decent buy for the time. Though absolutely not worth the current outrageous aftermarket prices. And definitely can't compare to today's releases, but I don't really expect it to.

Megahouse would come out with their Sheryl and Ranka figures a year later, and those were far and away superior to the CM Minmay. They still look great even compared to today's figures.

If I try to paint this new Max Factory Minmay, it will look like something out of Perfect Blue. I wonder why they aren't selling it painted...There are a lot of good artists out there. I'm not one of them.

If I try to paint this new Max Factory Minmay, it will look like something out of Perfect Blue. I wonder why they aren't selling it painted...There are a lot of good artists out there. I'm not one of them.

Actually the kit is already pre-colored as I posted on the previous page. So it's up to people if they want to add more details or shades in to it. Imagine just like GunPla. It will look much nicer if you add panel lines and other accents. ;)

Here's again the info details from Max Factory.

"The model kit has parts separated into different colors, meaning that just putting the model together looks great even without the need for paint - but you can of course paint it for an even more detailed personal rendition! Eye decals are also included. The shawl of her outfit is made with translucent parts to recreate the appearance in the series. Build Lynn Minmay from the final battle with your own two hands!"

And here's a photo of the figure before and after:

minmay-plamax-before-after_zpsr01dtvrz.j

Edited by no3ljm

How hard would it have been to release them already prepainted like on the right?

That's my thought too. I would think Minmay is a popular enough character.

I agree with most of you. But right now that's the only Minmay figure/kit available that fits my budget not to mention that she's wearing her DYRL Final Battle Scene costume. I'm all good. ;)

no3ljm, Thanks for the before and after pics. Actually, it was not that clear to me how good the before painting would be. Now I'm in, if you're sure about those pics.

For me, the sculpt is terrible. Doesn't look anything like Minmay. Much worse than all the off-face Sheryls we've gotten over the years. And that facial expression looks less like singing and more like she's having her temperature taken rectally.

Now at the time the figure came out (2008) it would have been an average quality figure. And it had a retail price of only 4500 yen. So it was a decent buy for the time. Though absolutely not worth the current outrageous aftermarket prices. And definitely can't compare to today's releases, but I don't really expect it to.

Megahouse would come out with their Sheryl and Ranka figures a year later, and those were far and away superior to the CM Minmay. They still look great even compared to today's figures.

Hmmm... Based on your opinion, how would you rate this new Max Factory figure?

no3ljm, Thanks for the before and after pics. Actually, it was not that clear to me how good the before painting would be. Now I'm in, if you're sure about those pics.

Those pics came from Max Factory site and I just save it side-by-side. There's another figure from Plamax too that I posted the link to TagHobby on the previous page and in those photos you can also see the difference of the kit prior of its cosmetics. ;) We're going to need magnifying lens to paint it for sure. :)

Edited by no3ljm

1/20 vs. 1/10 scale is not really a good comparison. but that the smaller figure is even in consideration says quite a bit. personally, neither is satisfactory but im still getting this since I have quite a bit of stuff in 1/20

It looks okay. Though you'll probably need some good airbrushing skills to make it look really nice.

As Focker said, not really fair to compare a tiny 1/20 plastic kit to a larger prepainted figure.

Those pics came from Max Factory site and I just save it side-by-side. There's another figure from Plamax too that I posted the link to TagHobby on the previous page and in those photos you can also see the difference of the kit prior of its cosmetics. ;) We're going to need magnifying lens to paint it for sure. :)

Thanks for the side by side. I had not noticed the difference without it.