3D-Brainx

To call these results extraordinary is understatement, so congratulations are in order. I think this is fine work. Regarding the weathering, I assume a weathered version and a clean version might satisfy both parties, presuming that isn't much harder than I'm guessing it would be. Regardless, I will be thrilled almost beyond words with the finished model of this current rendition. Bravo!

Thanks again guys, glad you like it!

Great stuff, I would like to add a tiny critique if you don't mind. The pentagon shaped areas should be transparent as the bubble canopy. If you have modeled the inside of the cockpit just as Dan's VF-1 that would be awesome.

Thanks Bowman, It is transparent, it's the same material as the bubble actually, but I haven't modeled the cockpit..., yet, and that's why it shows as black. I actually have not planed to do it, it's quite intricate. I might do a low poly version of it if it look too bad with nothing inside.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Ok Guys, you got me all hyped so I put in some hours and came up with an update. I had some progress done but I wanted to finish some more textures before posting.

I'm not 100% satisfied with the scratches, I might removed them completely. I think they are too distracting and they don't add that much to the general model. What you guys think?

I took the liberty of adding some more "decals" than the original concept. Just wanted to add my part to the whole thing.

post-14893-0-97117600-1393623155_thumb.jpg

post-14893-0-23929800-1393623167_thumb.jpg

post-14893-0-49324600-1393623172_thumb.jpg

post-14893-0-29401100-1393623152_thumb.jpg

I actually do like the scratches and wear on your model. However, true to my own habits, I'd love to see both a clean and "damaged" versions.

Just a thought; you said you're not sure about the wear, but I think it would look better if the wear was also accompanied with weathering. I would think the two kinda go hand-in-hand, which may be why the wear on it's own looks odd to you.

Regardless of what you decide, this is astonishing work. The best YF-21 model I've ever seen.

Hey Guys, thanks for the input!

I actually do like the scratches and wear on your model. However, true to my own habits, I'd love to see both a clean and "damaged" versions.

Just a thought; you said you're not sure about the wear, but I think it would look better if the wear was also accompanied with weathering. I would think the two kinda go hand-in-hand, which may be why the wear on it's own looks odd to you.

Regardless of what you decide, this is astonishing work. The best YF-21 model I've ever seen.

Yeah, that might be the reason. I'm going to try a non scratched version anyways. I think actually that it would not be accurate if it is so scratched, I think the paint on aircrafts work as a protective layer of some sort, it might be weathered, but it is not supposed to be not scratched.

Here's a high res image:

http://imageshack.com/a/img541/1759/9s6c.jpg

Edited by 3D-Brainx

Yeah, that might be the reason. I'm going to try a non scratched version anyways. I think actually that it would not be accurate if it is so scratched, I think the paint on aircrafts work as a protective layer of some sort, it might be weathered, but it is not supposed to be not scratched.

Here's a high res image:

Ah I see now. It was so dark I couldn't see the weathering. Yeah, I think both clean and weathered/worn is the way to go. More choice is always better.

Hello Guys! Thanks again for the comments.

Here are a few tests I just did:

This is how it looks without any changes:

post-14893-0-15491300-1393880352_thumb.jpg

With no scratches:

post-14893-0-37352000-1393880368_thumb.jpg

With no scratches and weathered:

post-14893-0-87326700-1393880384_thumb.jpg

Same but with no reflection on the weathered area:

post-14893-0-92193600-1393880395_thumb.jpg

And final, same as before, but with a more subtle weathered area

post-14893-0-81243800-1393880334_thumb.jpg

Here's a high res image:

Do you plan to do the other color schemes of the YF-21, I believe there are two.

Do you plan to do the other color schemes of the YF-21, I believe there are two.

You mean this one?

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrossplus/variant-yf-21-prototype/yf-21-prototype-fighter.gif

I'm voting for number five. Subtle is key.

Yeah, I think that one is the best also. I'm going to finish all the clean textures and then I'll start with the weathering

Edited by 3D-Brainx

You mean this one?

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrossplus/variant-yf-21-prototype/yf-21-prototype-fighter.gif

Yeah, I think that one is the best also. I'm going to finish all the clean textures and then I'll start with the weathering

That's the one!

If you choose to make a VF-22 canopy, there are at least 3 other skins that could be made for the model, not to mention the dozens of fan made schemes...

Loving the work!!

Edited by Zinjo

Hello Guys. Thanks for the comments, I much appreciate it.

I haven't considered making more variants, but besides the canopy it's pretty much just changing the base color on the textures, so I just might.

I'm done with the base textures for the model, I'm missing the arms and legs and a few details, but I'm going to add the weathering to what I have so far. Here are a few images:

post-14893-0-65246600-1394336365_thumb.jpg

post-14893-0-78058800-1394336371_thumb.jpg

post-14893-0-97197000-1394336377_thumb.jpg

post-14893-0-51277700-1394336384_thumb.jpg

post-14893-0-05827900-1394336361_thumb.jpg

And a high res top view:

http://imageshack.com/a/img36/9548/vic8.jpg

Thanks a lot Guys for the comments! The fact that you are using it as a wallpaper is the best compliment, so thanks! And thanks a lot to EXO for posting this on Facebook, great honor to be there on the front page.

Are you using nDo and dDo?

No, not really. All textures where made from scratch in Photoshop using a base color and various textures.

And this thing is going to transform too???

Right now it "can" transform to gerwalk, or more or less. I have not planned to make it transform to battroid, there is a good amount of animagic going on with this one and if I transform it to battroid I`m afraid it would look chunky and unproportionate, kind of like the 1/60 Yamato toy. I would need to do a lot of remodeling if I want it to look good like the line art and I`m not sure if I will. Remember that my goal is to model the YF-19 too and it is going to take for ever if I start remodeling things.

Thanks again for the comments, I`ll try to upload an update soon.