Macross Zero Valks - any chance for 30th re-releases?

lechuck

They would most likely have to remold the VF-0 to allow reactive armor, but if they released that I would buy it on day 1. I would also go nuts for a VF-0D in the blue/white Shin scheme.

Those releases would round out the set, but then I would most likely have to replace all my old releases to match this new mold if they ever revisited. I highly doubt they will do it though

as Macross Zero has low popularity in Japan. And man all the people that don't like the Mac7 valks..... you really don't know what you are missing. I think Yamato has taken it to another

level with the Mac7 releases.

• 4 weeks later...

A friend is selling me a VF-OA (not the latest "corrected" issue) for $120 USD. Is it worth the price despite the risk of failing shoulders or loose elbows? Im leaning on getting a Destroid Defender/Tomahawk instead hehe

I'd say if it is showing signs of stress, or any looseness at all - offer $100. My honest option is that even for a mint, faultless VF-0, never pay more than $150/160. They look cool, yes - but severely lack in quality, sturdyness and posability - compared with even a v2 VF-1.

Thanks mate, ill check the merch and try to haggle the price down a bit

I'd say if it is showing signs of stress, or any looseness at all - offer $100. My honest option is that even for a mint, faultless VF-0, never pay more than $150/160. They look cool, yes - but severely lack in quality, sturdyness and posability - compared with even a v2 VF-1.

Edited by orionpax

A friend is selling me a VF-OA (not the latest "corrected" issue) for $120 USD. Is it worth the price despite the risk of failing shoulders or loose elbows? Im leaning on getting a Destroid Defender/Tomahawk instead hehe

Don't forget to check the T-bar clips.

Well... I suppose that would be an awesome opportunity to round out my Zero collection and finally get an Ivanov and a NotFake Shin. I skipped those first time around, because I didn't feel like getting the first release of Ivanov, and didn't want a Zero until they fixed the re-release.

I've got enough ghosts already, but having another one of the SV-51 stands could be handy. :)

I wouldn't count on a redesign, the originals are already pretty darn accurate, they just suffered from serious material issues. I really don't think you'd get much better shape-wise, at least not better enough to warrant purchasing completely new ones.

I also wouldn't worry about the custom VF-0C/D kit being a waste, because it's very unlikely that they're going to release it now. It's not impossible, but it's kind of the issue that Bandai faced with its original VF-25 DXs. Once the VF-27 came out, and the quality was so much higher, they decided the originals were worth redoing.

I just can't see Macross Zero being that popular that they'd invest in making a set of new toys for it right now. If they did decide to make a VF-0D, it'd blow away the quality of the old ones, and make them look pretty bad by comparison (the YF-19 is already suffering from that due to the the new VF-19 line, not to mention the other Macross Plus valks). They can easily re-release the old ones with little effort, and capitalize on them again, but making new molds for a VF-0D at this point seems like there just wouldn't be enough demand to justify it.

What this does however provide, is a good solid source for getting spare VF-0s to use with those custom kits. :)

Edited by Chronocidal

Id be happy with re-issues with better quality. I think the VF-0 and SV-51 look pretty good as it is. Well I guess it would be nice if they could do something with the floppiness. Of course this could be years off. How long has Graham said to be patient about a new YF-19.

Maybe we should all look for signs of him selling his old macross zero valks on ebay to prepare for announcement of newer version 2 releases? It might be a good hint of him knowing something. lol

Hopefully if they do try version 2, they design the Roy VF-0S to handle the reactive armor.

Remember the vf-0 is a bigger toy than vf-1 at 1/60. It's going to need tight joints and stuff to hold heavier parts. No floppy limbs please. It's time they built them to last like chunky munky toys for the money they are asking for these days.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

This feels kind of funny to say, but I actually would prefer reissues to a new mold, just because of the cost involved. If Yamato needs to retool everything, it's going to drive the cost up fast. The cost of a reissue is going to be high enough as it is compared with the original cost, but a new mold will likely put them up into the $300 range. And I really don't know how popular the VF-0 even is.

I guess the real question here.. assuming all the material problems for the VF-0s were fixed, what else needs improvement? I know you could generally tune up a few features in terms of how well they work (the feet especially), but they're already pretty much spot-on in terms of how they look. Would Yamato sell enough of a new mold to make it pay off?

For a VF-0D though.. looking through Kurisama's project thread, would Yamato be able to make their own "conversion" kit? They'd need a new nose section, new head, new head flaps, new wings, and new legs.. maybe a new backpack design with no tail mounts. The question is whether they'd be able to manufacture new parts to match the old VF-0 molds. If they did that, they could just release the replacement parts, or combine them with another production run of the VF-0, and put them together themselves. Painting would be an issue though, since the VF-0D had a unique paintscheme.

But, what would be even better.. what if they decided to release an unassembled VF-0 kit? It's essentially the same transformation as the VF-1, it's easy to take apart, and there's really nothing difficult about the way it goes together. It'd make converting one to a VF-0D TONS easier as well. :)

Graham, if you get the chance to pass on the idea to Yamato.. I think a lot of us would love kit versions of everything. Some things might not be feasible due to complex assembly methods, and I don't know how well the VF-1 kits have sold compared to the completed versions, but letting people buy unassembled valks seems like it's to everyone's benefit. Yamato can just print out blanks, and box the parts up, saving money on painting and assembly labor, driving the price of the kits down, and fans are able to buy more of them to do what they want with them.

Honestly.. I love building mechanisms. I've taken apart most of my valks to see how they work, and even if I never paint the VF-1 kits I have, I'll be building them and taking them apart to fiddle with them for years to come. I'd love to be able to do that wth more than just the VF-1. :)

One thing about kit versions though.. if they do happen, and if it's possible, I know a ton of people would love to get them molded in more colors than just pure white. Even if it's only two or three colors, a VF-0A-ish gray and a VF-1D tan would probably be cause for much rejoicing. ^_^

Holy cow that got longer than I realized. Apologies for the wall of text.

Edited by Chronocidal

I don't mind kits, but please, make sure there is the completed version first.

That and I want a VF-0B. The Hasegawa model with the "Space-proving wing" was BAD ASS. 2 seaters are more fun imo.

• I would want new VF-0 toys to be at the very least, on par with the 1/60 VF-17 with regards to quality. The VF-17 is a brick beast and I love it. The previous VF-0 toys have excellent sculpts, however I think the following could be implemented on new toys:
  • Higher range of motion for the knees going backwards(hindered on the current VF-0's by thigh swivel)
  • Diecast "catch" bar in gerwalk/fighter for the hip bar.
  • Stronger tabs connecting the backplate to the legs in fighter mode.
  • Sturdier cockpit/seat section or just do away with the seat tilting gimmick altogether.
  • Shoulder joints like the 1/48 VF-1 or V2 1/60 VF-1.
  • Stronger ratchets for the ankles
  • Feet that don't break apart(the "heel" on my VF-0S' right or left foot flew off).
  • Stronger plastic for the vertical stabilizers(especially the antennae), and a mechanism to decrease contact between them when folding(as to avoid paint scraping off).
  • Nearly all markings printed on
  • Double jointed elbows
  • Double jointed knees if possible
  • Chest plate that locks into position more solidly.